Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Modern Movies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default The Horde

Before the usual press release hyperbole, I'd just like to add my own recommendation for The Horde as I was lucky enough to see an early screener a couple of weeks ago. The best way I can describe this is as a mixture of New School French Crime Movie and Total Zombie Meltdown.

Above: In my imagination, this is how I think Kyle (ILUVDVDS) would like to go out...

When I say New School French Crime Movie, I mean the current wave of hyperviolent underworld movies that the French seem to nail while our crime movies wallow in a morass of dreadful Cockney Wideboy cliches. Combine this with a claustrophobic atmosphere and some wickedly gory set pieces and you have a fast paced, entertaining and very dark take on Undead genre tropes, featuring a cast of criminals and dodgy cops thrown together by circumstance in a fierce battle to survive. See it, I loved it.

THE HORDE

“AN INTENSE BLAST OF ZOMBIE MAYHEM!”

BILLY CHAINSAW, BIZARRE MAGAZINE.

‘Assault On Precinct 13’ meets ‘Dawn Of The Dead’ in The Horde, the latest addition to the ever-rising wave of superlative French horror cinema. Winner of the International Fantasy Film Awards for Best Screenplay and Best Cinematography at the 2010 Fantasporto International Film Festival, this impressive debut feature from writing-directing team Yannick Dahan and Benjamin Rocher is a must-see for zombie movie fans, not least because it features some of the most awesome, edge-of-your-seat, close-combat human versus zombie beat-downs ever committed to film.

When a high-ranking and well-respected police detective is found murdered by a gang of homicidal mobsters, a small group of his closest colleagues on the force take it upon themselves to avenge his death vigilante-style. Heavily armed and determined to see justice done, they manage to infiltrate the upper floors of the suburban high-rise apartment block that serves as the criminals’ hideout. But during the raid things go wrong and the cops find themselves overcome by the gang, who take them prisoner and begin to torture them.

Meanwhile, one ground level, the gang’s lookout men become aware of a strange disturbance in the streets immediately surrounding the building, with the sounds of explosions and sirens filling the air...

Incredibly, it becomes apparent that the commotion is being caused by ever-growing crowds of crazed people with a hunger for human flesh. It’s not long before the gang of criminals and their captive cops realize they are trapped together on the top floor of an unfortified building that is becoming rapidly infested with blood-thirsty legions of the living dead. Their only chance of making it to ground level and getting out of the situation alive is to join forces, but with their numbers dwindling and each side having a score to settle, the odds of survival really don’t look good for anyone with a pulse.

Starring Claude Perron (Chrysalis; Amelie), Eriq Ebouaney (Thirst; Transporter 3), Aurelien Récoing (Intimate Enemies) and Doudou MastaThe Horde is an action-packed, axe-swinging, gun-toting, ass-kicking zombie flick that pulls out all the stops to breathe refreshing new life into the genre.

The Horde (cert. 18, tbc) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Momentum Pictures on 20th September 2010.

Special Features include: ‘Making of’ featurette; ‘Rivoallan’ (9-minute short film); zombie concept art; storyboards; teaser trailer; Easter Egg – rehearsal of a scene.

[CENTER]

Last edited by Sam@Cult Labs; 08-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Ah maaaan, No Blu-ray? This would look gorgeous!

Oh well, at least it's getting a UK release.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

You know me too well, Sam! There would be no better way to die. In fact, I think I'll start working on some badass facial hair to get it just perfect.

This is an excellent film - I saw it at FF and really enjoyed it then, so I definetly will be picking it up and bringing those living dead freaks to my house!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

this is released on my 27th Birthday, i know what my birthday film this year will be.....ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

What a great pressie that'll be!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Cultist

Not only just on DVD in the UK but also the theatrical version of 92.47 :-(

UNCUT version of 101min32sec released in Germany and on Blu-Ray!

and I've seen the German UNCUT version "Die Horde" in French with Eng subs.
Before you ask not sure what the xtra 8 minutes were as I've not seen the theatrical version.

I will echo the above comments though, very full on and very violent in a RoboCop way as the violence in certain scenes just goes on and on but in agood way! More violent than Mutants but not quite as scary or atmospheric but still way better than anything coming from the US.

Recommended!

thexperiment podcasts
Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Interesting, I had no idea the UK version was cut.

I saw this at the Frightfest last year, and will echo the positive comments. It's strange, as many seemed not to like it, but I'm quite discerning (especially with something as abundant as zombie films), and I really enjoyed La Horde. It's very atmospheric, quick paced and violent, as said above, and stylishly done. I found the cast very watchable too, with good chemistry between the leads.

I'll be picking this up on DVD for sure - whichever turns out to be the longest, uncut release. Also, French with subs is a must.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Cultist

According to the BBFC the version "submitted" was not cut.

So I think there is a theatrical version at 92min47s which is being released everywhere so far ie France, UK and USA but in Germany they also have a second version called "Uncut" at 101min 32 sec which I assume could also be called Unrated or Extended if/when released elsewhere?

thexperiment podcasts
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I'll be picking this up on DVD for sure - whichever turns out to be the longest, uncut release. Also, French with subs is a must.
I second that.

Imo there's been some great Gallic gorefests appearing in recent years and TH looks just as enjoyable judging by the film's trailer.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

If anyone can translate German, then the reviews on amazon might give some clue as to whether it's worth getting the extended version or not.

Die Horde - La Horde - Uncut Version [Blu-ray]: Amazon.de: Jean-Pierre Martins, und Aurélien Recoing Eriq Ebouaney: DVD & Blu-ray

Like this? Share it using the links below!