Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2013
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2013, 04:57 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Weekly Comp - Holy Motors - 28 Jan 2013 - FINISHED

Hello everyone,

Apologises for the delay with this competition - a day late! - I was just trying to sort out the prize.

Anyway, up for grabs today is the great and highly praised arthouse film, Holy Motors AND an exclusive t-shirt of the film! Oh la la.

Here's all the details on this title...

Holy Motors

On DVD and Blu-ray NOW!

Having garnered Five Star reviews in The Guardian, Empire, The Telegraph, The Times, The Irish Times, Eye For Film and the New York Daily News, amongst others, during its hugely successful theatrical release, the most dazzling, inventive and critically acclaimed film of the year comes to DVD and Blu-ray.

Key talent:

Writer-director Leos Carax (Pola X; Les Amants du Pont-Neuf; The Night Is Young; Boy Meets Girl) and stars Denis Lavant (A Very Long Engagement; Les Amants du Pont-Neuf; The Night Is Young; Boy Meets Girl), Edith Scob (Summer Hours; Brotherhood Of The Wolf; Eyes Without A Face), Eva Mendes (Last Night; Bad Lieutenant; The Women; We Own The Night) and Kylie Minogue (Moulin Rouge).

Synopsis:

Over the course of a single day, Monsieur Oscar travels by limousine around Paris to a series of nine “appointments,” transforming into a new character at each stop. Picked up in the morning by Céline, his trusty chauffeur, Oscar begins the day as a captain of industry before becoming a disabled, old gypsy woman begging for spare change on a bridge over the Seine.

Oscar’s seven proceeding incarnations call on what seem to be arbitrary locations throughout the day and night, including a video production facility, the Pere-Lachaide cemetery and a decaying Right Bank department store. With the aid of Céline and his dependable motor, Oscar encounters many bizarre situations and individuals, changing faces and never stopping once, until he fulfils his appointments.

You'll Love It Because

A Palme d’Or nominee and winner of the Prix de la Jeunesse at Cannes Film Festival 2012, winner of the Gold Hugo for Best International Feature and Silver Hugos for Best Actor (Leo Carax) and Best Cinematography (Caroline Champetier and Yves Cape) at the Chicago International Film Festival and winner of the Best Director, Best Film and Critic’s Award at the Catalonian International Film Festival, Leos Carax’s “Holy Motors” is a heartfelt love letter to Cinema by one of today’s most visionary filmmakers.

Part horror movie, part noir-ish crime thriller; part romantic drama, part musical; part comedy, part sci-fi fantasy: it is a film that is almost as impossible to describe as it is to resist. All in all, it is essential viewing for everyone who enjoys the magic of the movies.

Hot Quotes

“Weird and wonderful, rich and strange – barking mad, in fact. It is wayward, kaleidoscopic, black comic and bizarre; there is in it a batsqueak of genius, dishevelment and derangement; it is captivating and compelling.” (Five Stars) – The Guardian.

“An exhilarating, audacious, lunatic rocket-ride. Hop on board.” (Five Stars) – Empire.

“Purrs along the dark, deserted highways of the mind with a muscular, erotic charge.” (Five Stars) – The Telegraph.

“Indulgent, inventive, barmy and brave… Holy Motors is one hell of a ride.” (Four Stars) – Total Film.

“This is French cinema at its finest – a celebration of bold originality. Oddly beautiful and strangely gripping, this bizarre journey is sometimes comic, sometimes tragic, but with a mesmerising performance from Lavant it remains captivating throughout.” (Four Stars) – The Sun.

“Leos Carax’s unholy odyssey into the dreamy marvels of cinema itself is an exhilarating hybrid of comedy, melodrama, science fiction, crime thriller, and musical romance. Wholly mysterious and impossibly lovely, this mad hatter’s monsterpiece may be the best film of the year.” – The Village Voice.

“It’s mad crazy beautiful.” – Entertainment Weekly.

“An exhilarating tour de force… The most astonishing film at Cannes.” – Vogue.

“A combustible roman candle of a film. Exhilarating, opaque, heartbreaking and completely bonkers… a deliciously preposterous piece of filmmaking that appraises life and death and everything in between, reflect in a funhouse mirror.” – The Hollywood Reporter.

“A visionary, jaw-¬dropping spectacle…” – The Onion.

“One of the most electrifying films you will ever see.” – New York Magazine.

--------------------

Add a little suave and sophistication to your collection of sleaze with this competition. But how do you win?

Simply show off your artistic talents!

Draw a picture in paint - anything! - and post it here.

The best image will win. 'Best' does not necessarily mean the best drawn, but the most original, fun and just sheer awesome!

Three winners will be announced on Sunday. Post your entries below!

Good luck!

Kyle
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 29th January 2013, 05:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Great prize! I will attempt a terrible painting tomorrow.
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 29th January 2013, 07:18 PM
Cult Addict

Excelent film! Is a BD available Kyle? I'm acualy drawing something for my DA page now, so i'll post a picture tommorow.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:07 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Excelent film! Is a BD available Kyle? I'm acualy drawing something for my DA page now, so i'll post a picture tommorow.
Yep, DVD or Blu-ray, Hawk

And an exclusive t-shirt!
Old 29th January 2013, 08:56 PM
Cult Addict

Great! Should be a blinder on BD.
Old 29th January 2013, 09:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Such a cool film, my number one of last year by a good stretch . . .

Any special features on this btw . . . ?
Old 30th January 2013, 07:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Here is a quick attempt - a self portrait of sorts. WARNING - I can't draw or paint!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekly Comp - Holy Motors - 28 Jan 2013 - FINISHED-self-portrait.jpg  
sawyer6 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 30th January 2013, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

When you say "Paint", do you mean the software or can we use actual paint?
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthelvis View Post
Here is a quick attempt - a self portrait of sorts. WARNING - I can't draw or paint!

SLENDER ELVIS!
Old 30th January 2013, 12:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post

SLENDER ELVIS!
Trying to make myself feel better, but really I'm delusional.

Like this? Share it using the links below!