View Single Post
Old 11th March 2011, 05:21 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I have to agree as well that the animal cruelty is a part of the film as it's meant to be. If you haven't seen it uncut then honestly, you haven't seen Cannibal Holocaust. It may still be shocking in it's truncated form but you're missing the full impact. That's not advocating animal cruelty at all. It's already been filmed and it can't be denied just because it was wrong and wouldn't happen again now or in recent times.

How many people were overjoyed when Deep Red was finally passed uncut? That's when everyone thought the lizard scene was real. It may totally pale in comparison to what occurs in CH but it seems a little hypocritical to demand DR uncut and then chastise CH for it's practises.

Cannibal Holocaust's shock value stems from it as a whole and it's a powerful film but it seems to get more publicity for it's animal scenes than Ferox, Mountain of the Cannibal God or even something as inocuous as Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll. I just think that if you really want to watch films like these you have to take them for what they are, regardless of right or wrong.

Having said that, it's Deodato's input that makes me want to see this version and it's a very interesting move. If I was going to watch a different version, I'd much rather have one with some genuine thought and re-interpretation than just the nasty bits chopped out.