Thread: Saw V (2008)
View Single Post
Old 28th October 2008, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Oh definitely, Eric Matthews is my favourite character from the series. I know SAW II takes a lot of flak from people (despite having the most points of all sequels on IMDb) but his and Jigsaw's mindgames were priceless and were brilliantly played by Donnie Wahlberg and Tobin Bell. In fact Matthews' character is mostly why I regard part II as my favourite of the bunch. I like him because he's so human if you know what I mean, out of all the characters on show he's the one that's as real as you can get, a once great cop/person who after divorce* lost his way in life and so started cutting corners to get by (framing those scumbags and having strained relations with his son). He's arrogant and troubled but underneath you could see a good person that was temporarily lost and I think that's why Rigg and Kerry were so protective of him. We've all had times when we've lost our way but nobody deserves what Eric Matthews was put through in this series because he won their game and still wasn't set free.

I think killing him off was a bad move and though Strahm was alright in V it would have been better with a vengeful Eric Matthews making amends with his son and then trying to track down Hoffman instead.

* I think he got divorced anyway.