View Single Post
Old 1st October 2011, 03:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw285 View Post
There's seems to be a lot of anger directed at this reviewer, i don't agree with his opinion either but surely he's allowed to post his opinion, him comparing the picture to being like a worn out VHS is obviously nonsense i've had Cannibal Holocaust in many incarnations over the last 20 years (Belgian VHS, Dutch VHS, Dutch DVD and the Ultrabit DVD) but i thought the bit rate on the Blu-ray was pretty low when compared to contemporary releases but this is probably due to fact nearly 4 hours of HD data was stuffed on to one disc and the extras looked like it was upscaled SD this is why The Lord Of The Rings Blu-rays are split accross two discs i would've been more than happy to spend a bit more money to have the original film on a separate Blu-ray, the only way that products can be improved upon is if the consumer feels able to put forward an opinion if this didn't happen we'd still be watching panned and scanned VHS tapes but if someone feels like their going to get an avalanche of anger the minute they don't agree with the majority then they won't feel comfortable doing so.
It's not about criticising him for having an opinion, it's the way he expressed that opinion that pissed me off.

For instance, he hints at the fact that there must be something wrong with people who are fans of the movie:

Quote:
This piece of tripe is really not worth purchasing, but if you do fancy it (or god forbid are actually a fan!), this Bluray release is bolstered by some engaging and informative special features. Nothing else makes this release worth renting, let alone purchasing!
You see he's not just attacking the film, he's attacking those that have respect for the film. That's far off his remit as a reviewer. To suggest that there's something 'wrong' with 'fans' of the film is insulting and unnecessary.

He also says this:

Quote:
Whoever convinced Shameless Screen Entertainment to release this on Blu-ray should be fired. The film is possibly the poorest transfer I have ever seen and a VHS would undoubtedly look better. Grain, distortion and a pixilated appearance mean that Cannibal Holocaust looks simply terrible in HD – perhaps this is a good thing though?
Now, you see, he's just outright lying. What he's doing is manipulating his privilege of being a 'reviewer' and encouraging people not to buy the Blu-ray. This is harmful to Shameless as a business. If what he said was true, I could be more forgiving, but he's simply lying in an effort to cause lost sales for Shameless. I wasn't going to let that stand. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's quite another to tell a pack of lies in order to validate that viewpoint. Which is precisley what he does. Seriously, do you really believe that Shameless would put out a Blu-ray that looks worse than a VHS tape? Really? Do you? Because that's what Stu Cummins is saying in his review. Do you believe him? If you don't, that leaves only one option open. That he's telling a pack of lies. So which is it - truth or lies?

Oh, and a note to Shameless, if you supply this website with promo material for review, I'd suggest you stop doing that. They're obviously only going to cause harm to prospective sales and are incapable of being objective or truthful.