Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   10 Great Overlooked British Horror Films of the 1970s (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/13343-10-great-overlooked-british-horror-films-1970s.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494668)
I wish someone would release 'The Appointment', an intensely creepy Brit film from the early eighties starring Edward Woodward. I'm surprised it didn't feature in that BFI list.

But yes, these films need a release, especially in the UK, their country of origin.

Frankie Teardrop 19th June 2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494671)
The article was only about 70's films, Frankie. It's headline is -

10 great overlooked British horror films of the 1970s

I was waiting for you to point that out, Dem. Glad you didn't disappoint me!

Make Them Die Slowly 19th June 2016 10:10 PM

Why isn't Trog on the list....

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494674)
I was waiting for you to point that out, Dem. Glad you didn't disappoint me!

What you really mean is 'Thank **** at least one person reads my posts'. :tongue1:

platostotal 19th June 2016 10:18 PM

Now I'm pretty sure that most if not all on that list would be considered a 'flop' as far as box office at the time (no home video deals or rental tape dosh back then) so I wonder if they were written off as a dead loss for tax, it does seem odd that even the most dire tosh from all over the world makes it onto dvd/BD but we Brits are bereft of quite a bit of 70s U.K. cult cinema, or maybe the rights holders just want silly money (like the Italians back in the 80/90s*)

*Back in the day I remember reading that an Italian distributor wanted over £150k for U.K. rights to a 70s 'nasty' Nazi flick that was on the DPP list.:pound:

Frankie Teardrop 19th June 2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 494676)
What you really mean is 'Thank **** at least one person reads my posts'. :tongue1:

Better than no-one at all, Dem...

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494678)
Better than no-one at all, Dem...

That's debatable. :lol:

Got to be honest, i think your reviews are absolutely required reading. :nod: :cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 11:19 PM

There are so many British films from the 70's in the genre we so love that have been neglected on dvd, never mind blu-ray.

The Corpse
Fragment of Fear*
Tam Lin*
Trog*
Endless Night
The Night Digger*
What Became of Jack and Jill
Seagull Island
Dominique
Absolution
Voices
The Brute

That's just a few off the top of my head.

*These are available as on demand dvd-r's from various reputable studios but haven't had legitimate dvd releases.

Vampix 20th June 2016 02:11 AM

I remember watching Fragment of Fear late one night on the BBC, years ago. It kind of reminded me a little of Blow Up with its plotline and the fact it starred David Hemmings in the lead role. Good film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th June 2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494668)
I wish someone would release 'The Appointment', an intensely creepy Brit film from the early eighties starring Edward Woodward. I'm surprised it didn't feature in that BFI list.

Like Dem says, the article is only in reference to films from the '70s. I completely agree with you about The Appointment though it's long overdue a release.