Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   10 Great Overlooked British Horror Films of the 1970s (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/13343-10-great-overlooked-british-horror-films-1970s.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 04:31 PM

10 Great Overlooked British Horror Films of the 1970s

An interesting article from the BFI here.

I must track down Full Circle at some point - the only one I've yet to check out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 04:42 PM

Full Circle is the only one i don't own.

I must pick up Symptoms at some point.

nosferatu42 19th June 2016 04:55 PM

There's a couple of versions of Full circle (haunting of Julia) on Youtube at present, i don't even think there's a decent dvd release available.
I watched it a while back.
It's based upon a Peter Straub novel.
I read that as a kid and it always stuck in my head so had to try and see the film.:pop2:

mr 420 19th June 2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 494647)
There's a couple of versions of Full circle (haunting of Julia) on Youtube at present, i don't even think there's a decent dvd release available.
I read that as a kid and it always stuck in my head so had to try and see the film.:pop2:

The Haunting Of Julia had a pre-cert video release in the UK many, many moons ago.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 494647)

Cheers Nos - I know what I'll be watching tomorrow night now. :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 494656)
The Haunting Of Julia had a pre-cert video release in the UK many, many moons ago.

Doesn't sound promising for a dvd release does it?

Being a big fan of British films of the era it really pisses me off that there are so many gems still not out. The odd one creeps out like Craze on Nucleus or Baby Love on Network but that's about it each year, two or three if we are lucky. We might be getting four this year with the BFI releases of Symptoms and Psychomania.

Why can't 88 do a British range of films? I'm sure they'd sell better than Ironmaster.

Inspector Abberline 19th June 2016 07:01 PM

The Shuttered Room

This use to be shown on telly allot,and I know it has a region 1 release,but a UK release would be good,its no classic but i remember liking at the time.
I know it 1967 but thats close ,;)

Quote:

The Shuttered Room is a 1967 British horror film directed by David Greene and starring Gig Young and Carol Lynley as a couple who move into a house with dark secrets. It is based on a short story of the same name by August Derleth and H. P. Lovecraft. The film has also been re-released under the title Blood Island. Although set in the US, the film was shot in Kent and Norfolk, England.The film features a large, half-brick, half-timber watermill, which is destroyed by fire in the closing scenes. The building used was Hardingham Mill on the River Yare in Norfolk.

Frankie Teardrop 19th June 2016 08:56 PM

I wish someone would release 'The Appointment', an intensely creepy Brit film from the early eighties starring Edward Woodward. I'm surprised it didn't feature in that BFI list.

nosferatu42 19th June 2016 09:29 PM

Someone should release a proper U.K version of Mutations.
Also Dream Demon.
And Arrow should pull their finger out and do a Michael Reeves box.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th June 2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 494668)
I wish someone would release 'The Appointment', an intensely creepy Brit film from the early eighties starring Edward Woodward. I'm surprised it didn't feature in that BFI list.

The article was only about 70's films, Frankie. It's headline is -

10 great overlooked British horror films of the 1970s