Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   The Devils (1971) (Ken Russell) Discussion Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/156-devils-1971-ken-russell-discussion-thread.html)

Demoncrat 14th November 2011 11:49 AM

quibble quibble. its the fricking Devils for christs sake (no pun intended).
finally on a official english language dvd. once the sales bypass Avaturd (:laugh::laugh: i can but dream) THEN we'll get the 3 disc dvd/BD ETC (didnt i say I CAN DREAM CANT I?) ahem.

Mate had the Warner tape, bought from exrental box in Elgin i think.
we watched this to death.
he big Ken fan (had The Boyfriend etc)
me hate religion etc.

who remembers when it was last on TV btw?

Wes 14th November 2011 12:42 PM

I think the last time it was on TV was the Kermode Restoration, on C4, before that it was shown on BBC2 in the late 90's, in a slightly longer version than the current VHS edition, included as part of Forbidden Weekend (a Moviedrome spin-off hosted by Alex Cox. I seem to remember a slightly longer version of Performance was on that w/end as well - again longer than the current VHS edition).

Demoncrat 14th November 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 197548)
I think the last time it was on TV was the Kermode Restoration, on C4, before that it was shown on BBC2 in the late 90's, in a slightly longer version than the current VHS edition, included as part of Forbidden Weekend (a Moviedrome spin-off hosted by Alex Cox. I seem to remember a slightly longer version of Performance was on that w/end as well - again longer than the current VHS edition).

aye, its the BBC2 showing i remember, still have that on tape. watched the kermode programme, but not the film if i remember due to having it already cough cough, cest la vie

Wes 14th November 2011 01:12 PM

I'm not surprised with the scarcity of TV showings. Last Temptation of Christ has never been shown on Irish TV and I'm sure it never will. I think C4 showed it at one stage, but rare enough for TV...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 197361)
I have the official Spanish and Korean releases and neither of those are worth a w***! Really, really looking forward to this one :)

I STILL haven't watched the Spanish version....is it really that bad?

If so then this BFI release will be most welcome.:nod:

It's just a pity that a film of this magnitude is available on a longer bootleg and not available legit.

So,tell me Paul what advantages does the X rated version have over the Spanish one?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 196810)
The shittist British film ever made. Discuss.

Stephen an I had words after this comment.......:lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 197605)
Stephen an I had words after this comment.......:lol:

Haha, I'm surprised it took so long for someone to have me burned at the stake!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 06:42 PM

:happy:
Just picked up on it mate!

Paul@TheOverlook 14th November 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 197603)
I STILL haven't watched the Spanish version....is it really that bad?

If so then this BFI release will be most welcome.:nod:

It's just a pity that a film of this magnitude is available on a longer bootleg and not available legit.

So,tell me Paul what advantages does the X rated version have over the Spanish one?

It's about four minutes longer. Almost anything that's dodgy is cut or trimmed in the R-rated (which is the print on both the Spanish and Korean releases). Both are also letterboxed and look like shit. BFI disc will be anamorphic :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2011 07:33 PM

Maybe a little simplistic, but if the BFI disc doesn't sell well then Warners will never release the full version.