Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   The Devils (1971) (Ken Russell) Discussion Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/156-devils-1971-ken-russell-discussion-thread.html)

Paul@TheOverlook 23rd August 2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 176186)
As the Directors Cut was recently screened at the BFI (July 29th this year) The Devils | BFI There's got to be some kind of plan for a release.... surely! :pray:

Directors cut was first shown at the BFI in 2005/2006 so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 05:40 PM

Threads merged.

As far as I know,Warner still hold the rights,so Arrow releasing it is highly unlikely.:)

I too bought the Spanish DVD and was disappointed to see it was the R print.

Doesn't quite have the same impact,does it?:(

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176210)
I too bought the Spanish DVD and was disappointed to see it was the R print.

Doesn't quite have the same impact,does it?:(

I've only seen the R rated version, so don't know how much difference there is between that and the uncut/unrated version.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Mark Kermode and Nigel Floyd had been working with Ken Russell to make a director's cut, a documentary and petition Warner to release the director's cut.

Paul@TheOverlook 23rd August 2011 06:54 PM

Documentary was made and screened on Channel Four around 2002. As I mentioned above, the director's cut was first screened at the bfi five or six years ago. All legal releases currently available, whether physical or digital, are the heavily truncated R-rated version.

There are three common versions. The BBFC approved theatrical cut, which is missing the "rape of Christ" sequence and a scene in which Vanessa Redgrave Is seen to masturbate with a bone. These cut scenes were later unearthed and shown in Mark Kermode's 'Hell on Earth' documentary and restored for the director's cut.

The UK version was cut further for the US release (six or seven minutes - most of the dodgiest material is trimmed) in order to secure an R rating. It is this R rated cut which Warner released on pre-cert VHS and later fullscreen sellthru. However, the longer UK cinema print was released on VHS, in widescreen, as part of Warner's Maverick Directors series. This same version was screened on Channel Four the same night as Kermode's doco.

---

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 06:59 PM

I'm gutted I missed that as I'd really like to see the uncut version and Kermode's documentary -- his documentaries on The Exorcist, Blade Runner and The Shawshank Redemption are superb.

Paul@TheOverlook 23rd August 2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 176255)
I'm gutted I missed that as I'd really like to see the uncut version and Kermode's documentary -- his documentaries on The Exorcist, Blade Runner and The Shawshank Redemption are superb.

There's a greymarket release available on Amazon which includes the doco as an extra and features the longer cut of the film too, so if you're desperate to see it it can be had.

I'd love to see a proper release, I just don't think it'll happen any time soon.

---

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 07:18 PM

Yeah I bought that release thinking it was legit......:rolleyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 07:52 PM

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176259)
Yeah I bought that release thinking it was legit......:rolleyes:

Me too.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 176258)
T

I'd love to see a proper release, I just don't think it'll happen any time soon.

---

It'd sell a shitload for Warner.:nod: