Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   The Devils (1971) (Ken Russell) Discussion Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/156-devils-1971-ken-russell-discussion-thread.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176293)
It'd sell a shitload for Warner.:nod:

They properly know it but are too set in their ways to change their mind as it seems they don't like the film, don't like Ken Russell and don't want to have their name attached to a release.

If that is the case, I don't know why they don't just sell the rights to someone who does care about the film and would happily releases and make a fortune in the process.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 08:12 PM

In this day and age (If that is the case with Warner) then it's ridiculous.
There are more offensive things on the news.

Russell's film in it's uncut form is so OTT,that anyone taking offence to it,is living in the same age as Father Grandier.:)

Rik 23rd August 2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 176258)
There's a greymarket release available on Amazon which includes the doco as an extra and features the longer cut of the film too

If it's this one The Devils Special Uncut Restored Edition 1971 DVD ~ Vanessa Redgrave, Oliver Reed, Dudley Sutton, and Max Adrian: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV then judging by the review, I think I'll wait for a re-release

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 08:21 PM

It's this one I have......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devils-DVD-...4130837&sr=1-2

Rik 23rd August 2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176303)

Sounds like it's pretty similar to the one I posted, I reckon Arrow and Shameless should pool a load of money together and buy the rights for it and release it!

napalm-in-the-morning 24th August 2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 176319)
Sounds like it's pretty similar to the one I posted, I reckon Arrow and Shameless should pool a load of money together and buy the rights for it and release it!

I suspect Warner Bros. would inflate the rights fee to a ridiculous level just to keep the print in their deepest vaults and out of distribution! :confused:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th August 2011 05:30 PM

Interesting piece about The Devils, including an interview with its editor, in the latest Mark Kermode blog:

BBC - Mark Kermode's film blog

Fausto 25th August 2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 176758)
Interesting piece about The Devils, including an interview with its editor, in the latest Mark Kermode blog:

Stephen Woolley was only 15 when The Devils was made, it was edited by Michael Bradsell (who also did Russell's The Music Lovers, Women in Love & Savage Messiah) Woolley was the founder & owner of the Scala cinema & Palace Pictures, he produced the likes of Company Of Wolves, Mona Lisa & Hardware).

Interesting piece by Kermode as always though I don't think the suits @ Warners are gonna listen to any film scholars (wether 20 years ago, 10 years ago or 5 days ago), which is a bloody shame as the film is a masterpiece, the very least they could do would be to strike a deal with the likes of the BFI, sadly that'll probs never happen either

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th August 2011 06:29 PM

Nice.

Kermode's right.This is a masterpiece of British cinema and deserves to be seen by new generations,and the best way to do that is in digital form.

COME ON WARNER have some balls!

Didn't stop them releasing it uncut on VHS.
I wonder what's changed?

James Morton 26th August 2011 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=Reaper@Cult Labs;176303]It's this one I have......

I have THE DEVILS dvd which I bought from Amazon but different back cover
I was unsure about the uncut tag and has the Rape of Christ scene non anamorphic, but read later that some scenes were missing/longer scenes etc

But I agree with everything about the film being released on dvd here
Should be no probs with BBFC
But the powers that be, Warner can't be bothered...