Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   So What Remake is Next? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/10749-so-what-remake-next.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th June 2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 672374)
New Report Hints Maniac Cop Reboot From Drive Director Nicolas Winding Refn And Captain America Writer Ed Brubaker Ready To Start Shooting with William Lustig as producer only.

Attachment 240814

Here is the poster that has been released so far.

Probably starring Ryan Gosling as the cop who stares into the distance like a maniac.

MrBarlow 25th June 2022 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 672376)
Probably starring Ryan Gosling as the cop who stares into the distance like a maniac.

That be enough to turn anyone off :lol:

gag 17th August 2022 12:12 AM

Saw this yesterday, is any film not safe anymore from being remade?

Black-ish’ Creator Kenya Barris to Direct ‘Wizard of Oz’ Remake at Warner Bros.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/w...235341583/amp/

iank 17th August 2022 12:31 AM

Why?

MrBarlow 17th August 2022 05:25 AM

Seriously why remake such a classic film

Susan Foreman 17th August 2022 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 674873)
Saw this yesterday, is any film not safe anymore from being remade?

Black-ish’ Creator Kenya Barris to Direct ‘Wizard of Oz’ Remake at Warner Bros.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 674874)
Why?

Yes, I agree it's un-needed, but...

There is a (very) long awaited film version of the stage play 'Wicked' coming in 2024

A new version of 'The Wizard Of Oz' would cash-in on that

Presumably, because parts of it are in B/W, a lot of 'todays' viewers have never actually seen the original

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th August 2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 674874)
Why?

To make it woke!

MacBlayne 17th August 2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 674883)
To make it woke!

I don't think it's about being woke. I think there are two reasons as to why it's being remade...

1. Artistic: The original film is very different to the book. It's possible the new filmmaker responds more to the book, and would like to make a more faithful adaptation.

2. Commercial: The most probable reason. Warner Brothers saw the massive success Disney are getting from remaking classic properties, and want a slice of that pie. And if the new film ends up being more faithful, that will kickstart a whole new franchise. MGM thought audiences in the 1930s would reject a full-on fantasy, and made it a dream. This gives it a one-and-done status. But a new adaptation doesn't need to be a dream, and can set up further films.

Honestly, this is more sickening than somebody wanting to make it "woke."

gag 17th August 2022 02:30 PM

It’s like remake of Willy wonka, it was going to be hard to beat the original since everyone grew up with the film and loved it, remake had mixed reviews but a lot despised it, But Roald Dahl hated the original with a passion, and the remake was closer to the book than the original, is there any film that not safe from getting a remake, reboot, update, spin off, sequel prequel etc these days, it’s getting a bit beyond a joke now. Love or hate him at least people like Jordan peele trying to create and make something different new and fresh, stuff out there but it feels like it’s getting few and far between now unless you venture out to japan Korean and world cinema, unless you’re a film fan the average Joe blogs doesn’t and like to play it safe with another Marvel /Dc film or fast and furious 23.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th August 2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 674877)
Yes, I agree it's un-needed, but...

There is a (very) long awaited film version of the stage play 'Wicked' coming in 2024

A new version of 'The Wizard Of Oz' would cash-in on that

Presumably, because parts of it are in B/W, a lot of 'todays' viewers have never actually seen the original

Strictly speaking, none of The Wizard Of Oz is in black-and-white: the beginning and end scenes are sepia toned. :)

As it's over 90 years old but has timeless themes of family, belonging, friendship, and overcoming adversity, there's no reason why it couldn't be remade

Although Victor Fleming's version was a technical masterpiece, a landmark in cinematic techniques, some sequences are a little slow and the costumes and visual effects look their age. With a good cast, inspired direction, and a decent budget, any remake could easily become a family favourite.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th August 2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 674887)
It’s like remake of Willy wonka, it was going to be hard to beat the original since everyone grew up with the film and loved it, remake had mixed reviews but a lot despised it, But Roald Dahl hated the original with a passion, and the remake was closer to the book than the

That's an important distinction. Roald Dahl's screenplay for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – at least how it's presented in the film – is a very loose adaptation of his book.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is much more faithful to the source material, benefits from excellent visual effects, has some very funny quirky humour, and has some really good songs.

When I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the cinema, I didn't like it at all. I read the book that evening and went back to the cinema the next day to watch it again and thought it was excellent – it's amazing what a difference reading the novel made.

gag 15th September 2022 04:15 PM

The Strangers’ Remake Has Started Production With Lionsgate
The original film The Strangers came out in 2008 and starred Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman. The film was a sleeper hit and led to the 2018 sequel The Strangers: Prey at Night. The original is high on my list of personal favorites

https://ihorror.com/the-strangers-remake/

gag 29th September 2022 05:50 PM

Sam Raimi to Direct Remake of 70s Ventriloquist Doll Horror Movie Magic

Producer Roy Lee revealed that he will be working with Sam Raimi on a remake of the 1978 Anthony Hopkins horror movie.

https://movieweb.com/sam-raimi-direc...r-movie-magic/

Susan Foreman 11th April 2023 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another 'notorious video nasty' is being remade

‘Faces of Death’ Remake Has Begun Filming This Week / Bloody Disgusting
"“The new plot revolves around a female moderator of a YouTube-like website, whose job is to weed out offensive and violent content and who herself is recovering from a serious trauma, that stumbles across a group that is recreating the murders from the original film. But in the story primed for the digital age and age of online misinformation, the question faced is are the murders real or fake?”"

gag 4th May 2023 08:58 PM

Scoot McNairy Joins ‘Speak No Evil’ Remake for Blumhouse and Universal

A remake of last year’s terrifying Danish horror movie, James Watkins (The Woman in Black, Eden Lake) is directing Speak No Evil for Blumhouse and Universal, and Deadline reports tonight that Scoot McNairy (Argo) has signed on. Mackenzie Davis (Terminator: Dark Fate, Happiest Season) and James McAvoy (Split, Glass) will also star.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...and-universal/

Susan Foreman 2nd June 2023 10:31 AM

One of the most inventive and enjoyable films of recent years - 'One Cut Of The Dead' - is being remade as the American film 'Final Cut'

"Directed by Oscar-winner Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist), Final Cut follows a director (Romain Duris, L’Auberge Espagnole) charged with making a live, single-take, low-budget zombie flick in which the cast and crew, one by one, actually turn into zombies. Oscar nominee Bérénice Bejo (The Artist), Matilda Lutz (Revenge), and Finnegan Oldfield (Corsage) also star in the mega meta comedy. Yoshiro Takehara, who appeared as a producer in the original, will also make an appearance in the remake."

Susan Foreman 13th June 2023 07:08 AM

'Spider Baby' - coming in October

Justin101 13th June 2023 08:31 AM

Both of those last two are the epitome of “what’s the point?” But that Spider Baby trailer in particular yikes…

MrBarlow 13th June 2023 08:33 AM

Think I will stick to the original.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th June 2023 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 687127)
Both of those last two are the epitome of “what’s the point?” But that Spider Baby trailer in particular yikes…

There's only one person i'd like to see remake Spider Baby.

https://i0.wp.com/robzombie.com/wp-c...19%2C819&ssl=1

Justin101 13th June 2023 03:52 PM

When I saw the post before I clicked on the link I actually thought oh I didn’t know RZ was working on a new film already. I was then sorely disappointed.

peter alex 13th June 2023 05:40 PM

the s**tist story ever told

the spider baby remake looks awful what is the point it just looks bad so definitely not the maddest story ever told i think i will stick with the original which is 100 times better and more fun.

Susan Foreman 26th March 2024 03:24 PM

Chinese take on 'Anaconda'

MrBarlow 18th April 2024 10:55 AM

Henry Cavill says his upcoming Highlander reboot from John Wick director is "extraordinary", and won't play it safe.

The Henry Cavill-led Highlander reboot has taken a while to get off the ground, but the former Superman star is promising big things. Helmed by John Wick?s Chad Stahelski, it follows an immortal Scottish swordsman who must battle to save humanity.

"I am a Highlander fan, they?re great fun movies," Cavill said on the Happy Sad Confused podcast. "Obviously I watched them when I was a lot younger and have since rewatched, but also the TV show. I really enjoyed the lore behind it, that sense of a tragic warrior with more of a story to tell than a cool guy with a sword, doing cool things, and this goes even deeper into that."

The franchise kicked off in 1986 with a movie starring Christopher Lambert as Connor MacLeod, the titular Highlander. Since then it?s spawned several sequels, two TV shows, animated adaptations, and comic books. The new reboot was first announced back in 2021 and is expected to start filming this year.