Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   So What Remake is Next? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/10749-so-what-remake-next.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th May 2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490424)
Given a choice i would have gone with Ben Wheatley rather than Refn.

That would be another interesting choice. :nod:

Susan Foreman 18th May 2016 08:53 AM

Nicholas Refn is a busy person

Not only has he got 'Witchfinder General' in the pipeline, but he also has this:

Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Maniac Cop' Finds Backers - Bloody Disgusting!

J Harker 18th May 2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 490425)
No thanks - not interested in seeing a remake of this British horror classic. How could you possibly replace Vincent Price as Matthew Hopkins?

Paradoxically if you like, i reckon this is feasible. Normally Vincent Price would be irreplaceable because...well its Vincent bloody Price. But Witchfinder General is one of the few Price films I've seen where he played an actual role rather than just himself. And as such became less distinctive and therefore easier to replace...if that makes any sense...
...I'll go away now...[emoji5]

Vampix 18th May 2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490481)
Paradoxically if you like, i reckon this is feasible. Normally Vincent Price would be irreplaceable because...well its Vincent bloody Price. But Witchfinder General is one of the few Price films I've seen where he played an actual role rather than just himself. And as such became less distinctive and therefore easier to replace...if that makes any sense...
...I'll go away now...[emoji5]

Who would be as imposing and have the presence of the late, great Vincent Price though? Are there any actors that you could think of that would fill the role, and not have you comparing them to Price as you watch?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 490550)
Who would be as imposing and have the presence of the late, great Vincent Price though? Are there any actors that you could think of that would fill the role, and not have you comparing them to Price as you watch?

Viggo Mortensen? Ian McKellen? Clint Eastwood?

J Harker 18th May 2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 490550)

But i probably wouldn't compare them to the great Vincent Price. Because he plays Matthew Hopkins straight, quite removed from his usual performances. Not to say that he's not very good in Witchfinder General but it lacks his usual Vincent Priceness as seen in Edward Lionheart, Dr.Phibes and the Corman/Poe films.
Now if we were talking about remaking Theatre of Blood I'd laugh at the notion of replacing the sadly late very very great Vincent Price.

J Harker 18th May 2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 490558)
Viggo Mortensen? Ian McKellen? Clint Eastwood?

Michael Shannon?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490589)
Michael Shannon?

He plays an intense bad guy extremely well, so could do the role justice. :nod:

J Harker 18th May 2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 490596)
He plays an intense bad guy extremely well, so could do the role justice. :nod:

I've not seen past the first season but his character in Boardwalk Empire made me think of him.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490599)
I've not seen past the first season but his character in Boardwalk Empire made me think of him.

There are some good performances Revolutionary Road, for which he was Oscar-nominated, My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?, which is a very disturbing film by Werner Hertzog and David Lynch, and he is also suitably sociopathic as General Zod.