Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula 3D (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/2853-dario-argentos-dracula-3d-2012-a.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 79643)
If you mean "mean" as in "nasty"...

I hope so. I DESPISE the current trend to make vampires "misunderstood" or "sad lost souls" and "sexy" and all that crap. I want vampires to be vile, hideous, soil and blood smeared monsters, dammit!

Although Bram Stoker didn't invent vampires, his novel Dracula pretty much defined them and, in that book, Dracula was a hideous creature who smelt terrible and had unkempt fingernails and hairy palms. That is why Murnau made such a great film with Nosferatu as Count Orlock was closer to Stoker's creation of Dracula than anyone else has done.

If this is true and Argento is going to make a Dracula film, then I hope the vampire is something ferocious and animalistic, not some soppy matinee idol.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th May 2010 09:09 PM

:focus: Argento's Dracula here folks.

Let's switch over to BBC 2 for other vampires.....:)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/show...ht=bloodsucker

darthelvis 16th May 2010 12:27 PM

In further crazy news!!!!! Romero to remake Argento's Deep Red in 3D!?

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20233

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th May 2010 01:45 PM

No! No! No! No! It can't be true -- that would just be horrible. I hope this isn't happening and that common sense will prevail and that there is as much truth in this as in that often mooted remake that, thankfully, never seems to get off the ground.

vincenzo 16th May 2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu (Post 79735)
I hope this isn't happening and that common sense will prevail

Common sense is seldom prevalent in the world of remakes these days. :ohwell:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th May 2010 07:36 PM

Hopefully not.

Romero is a legend,but DEEP RED is one of the holy grail films.

DON'T ****ING TOUCH!:lol:

However,the one thing all these bollocks remakes do,is make the original look even more accomplished.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th May 2010 08:02 PM

If this is true then Romero must be running short of ideas. I mean, look what happened to Survival of the Dead...

Mojo 18th May 2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 79722)
In further crazy news!!!!! Romero to remake Argento's Deep Red in 3D!?

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20233

Oh Christ no :crazy:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2010 07:17 PM

There are some stories you read and you just sign in disbelief. This is one of them. I understand that Dario Argento has nothing to do with it, but Claudio Argento has a production role.

It's a crazy decision and I hope it's one that, like the oft mooted Suspiria remake, turns out to be nonsense that only rears its ugly head every so often to annoy and irritate us (true) horror fans.

I thought that Romero was losing it just going by the evidence in Survival of the Dead, but this really is mind boggling.

wonderlust 16th October 2012 11:19 PM

This is supposed to be released this month.
Any news about this film?
I can't wait to see it.

Criterion7 17th October 2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 80003)
There are some stories you read and you just sign in disbelief. This is one of them. I understand that Dario Argento has nothing to do with it, but Claudio Argento has a production role.

It's a crazy decision and I hope it's one that, like the oft mooted Suspiria remake, turns out to be nonsense that only rears its ugly head every so often to annoy and irritate us (true) horror fans.

I thought that Romero was losing it just going by the evidence in Survival of the Dead, but this really is mind boggling.

We have to think of this business wise. Argento hasn't managed a cross over hit in North America. Romero is someone who goes back along ways with Dario and someone he really and truly trusts.

For Argento a remake of his film which sadly the casual fans dont know as well as we do could mean not just money but exposure on a larger scale.

We all know that Deep Red is a masterpiece but this makes perfect sense for dario.

doolahrock 17th October 2012 06:15 AM

Ouch

Dario Argento

Criterion7 17th October 2012 06:52 AM

Thats an older review. Lets be honest here. Horror is never going to get a good review, /best to make up your own mind.

PaulD 17th October 2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 283044)
Thats an older review. Lets be honest here. Horror is never going to get a good review, /best to make up your own mind.

To be fair though it does seem like quite a well-informed review

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th October 2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 283057)
To be fair though it does seem like quite a well-informed review

It does read that way – the critic seems familiar with Argento's past, standing amongst his peers and fans and how his recent output has been less than stellar.

Although I had my misgivings from the outset – some seemingly confirmed by the trailer – I'll try and see it at the cinema with an open mind but, if not, I'll wait for it to be available to watch at home.

Rik 17th October 2012 08:22 AM

I still want to see it, despite that review

doolahrock 17th October 2012 11:40 AM

I'll still be seeing at the earliest opportunity despite the bad press. Saying that, I'd have to think twice about a cinema viewing. Can't see it getting much of a cinema release which would probably mean a one off screening and that's usually where the folk who want to hate it/laugh at it tend to congregate.

The screening of Giallo in Edinburgh suffered from this. OK, it might not be a great film but it was almost impossible to make up your own mind due to the audience.

I've recently bought it on Blu Ray so that I watch it without the braying idiots.

Daemonia 17th October 2012 12:23 PM

After Giallo, I'm not even sure I want to see another new Argento film ever again. He doesn't seem to fare well with the classics, anyway - just look at the travesty that was Phantom of the Opera. I'm not going to fall into blind worship just because he made a handful of great films in the past - the truth is he's not made a halfway decent film in years. I'd say Sleepless was his last good film, and even that wasn't that great, but certainly better than anything he's made since.

James Morton 17th October 2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 283115)
After Giallo, I'm not even sure I want to see another new Argento film ever again. He doesn't seem to fare well with the classics, anyway - just look at the travesty that was Phantom of the Opera. I'm not going to fall into blind worship just because he made a handful of great films in the past - the truth is he's not made a halfway decent film in years. I'd say Sleepless was his last good film, and even that wasn't that great, but certainly better than anything he's made since.

disagree with you there
PELTS, JENIFER, DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK? and MOTHER OF TEARS i very much enjoyed
SLEEPLESS was an excellent and underrated giallo
and i'll be buying DRACULA when released
read its going to be released by IFC films in America next year

Daemonia 18th October 2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 283131)
disagree with you there
PELTS, JENIFER, DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK? and MOTHER OF TEARS i very much enjoyed
SLEEPLESS was an excellent and underrated giallo
and i'll be buying DRACULA when released
read its going to be released by IFC films in America next year

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Pelts and Jenifer and I'll give you, they weren't too bad - I'd forgotten about those. Do You Like Hitchcock? basically just remakes Strangers on a Train and as such is derivative and lazy. Sleepless wasn't too bad - the presence of Von Sydow certainly helps. Mother of Tears was an unadulterated mess and looks like the work of an 80's Italian hack like Bruno Mattei or Andrea Bianchi, certainly not the work of a master filmmaker, which Argento supposedly is.

I'll certainly be giving Argento's version of Dracula (I wish they'd stop calling it Dario Argento's Dracula, as if he came up with the idea :lol: ) a watch when it becomes available, but to say my expectations are low is putting it mildly.

Vampix 18th October 2012 09:46 AM

I've never been a big fan of Argento.The only films of his I really rate are: Deep Red, Tenebrae and Phenomena.I find Suspiria and Inferno overrated.I haven't seen any of his more later films, and that includes: Opera, Trauma, The Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless. :o I very much doubt I'll be seeking out his version of Dracula too.

Daemonia 18th October 2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 283415)
I've never been a big fan of Argento.The only films of his I really rate are: Deep Red, Tenebrae and Phenomena.I find Suspiria and Inferno overrated.I haven't seen any of his more later films, and that includes: Opera, Trauma, The Stendhal Syndrome and Sleepless. :o I very much doubt I'll be seeking out his version of Dracula too.

I think you should try Opera at least, I thought that was pretty good. Stendhal has its moments, but I found it a bit of a mish-mash and seeing it again recently with its dated CGI FX it's obvious it hasn't aged well. Sleepless was almost a return to form, but didn't quite get there.

I agree with you on Deep Red and Tenebrae though. I also rather like Suspiria, I think it's very nightmarish and very effective and the maestro's magic is still in full force at this point. But my preference has always been for his earlier standard Giallo work (without the supernatural creeping in). Deep Red was the crowning achievement of this era. I was glad when he returned to this style with Tenebrae, dispensing with the fantastic and making it more real-world orientated.

Argento's work is a bit of a mixed bag, but I'd say that between 1969 and 1982 he never put a foot wrong IMO. Phenomena is one I've never been able to warm to, but that may have something to do with the awful heavy metal music that peppers the soundtrack and the more stilted than usual acting. The opening sequence is pure brilliance though, I'll admit that.

demonknight 18th October 2012 11:18 AM

Don't listen to them George,you go for it.

Daemonia 18th October 2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 283435)
Don't listen to them George,you go for it.

Don't listen to who? I don't think anyone is going to take any notice of a bunch of fans on a horror forum. If - and it's a big if - Romero believes he can do justice to Argento's greatest work, then go for it. What's the betting it'll turn into Deep Red of the Dead? :lol:

Personally I don't believe that Romero can improve on this masterpiece and I think he's a bit delusional if he thinks he can.

PaulD 18th October 2012 11:30 AM

I thought the remake of Deep Red was old news and Romero has since stated he's not going on with it? A remake of Deep Red is bad enough an idea but in 3D too? No thanks

Roughale 18th October 2012 11:41 AM

No way am I gonna spend a cent on this (well maybe a very few on day ;)), after I have seen the first trailer a while back, I found proof of what I dreaded, even worse than the dung he provided (his Masters of Horror pieces excluded!) in the last years. The Card Player was worse than many tedious TV films of that kind, Mother of Tears was just bad in all means and I had to stop Giallo in the middle and never came back to it... I have not even bothered with that Hitchcock thing yet... Sleepless was his last movie that had strong stuff in it, especially the beginning in the train - if I remember correctly, that was stunning!

Sad demise of a genious, probably aftereffects of what made his old films so colourful... :cool:

OT: I have not given up on Romero though - despite the really horrible Survival otD - but it still has a double entry in my shelf, since the US BD has more special features...

Vampix 18th October 2012 11:49 AM

Deep Red should never be remade, even by Romero.The original is a classic that has all of its ingredients completely spot on.Who, for instance, could replace the incredible Goblin score? And who could ever replace the late, great David Hemmings in the lead role?

James Morton 18th October 2012 12:18 PM

i read and its a great shame that the Yanks presumably, will be remaking DEEP RED, BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE and TENEBRE, and maybe others
:crazy:

Slippery Jack 18th October 2012 01:10 PM

Who cares - I won't be watching any of em for sure (probably) - that David Gordon Green Suspiria remake seems to have been in production for yonks - wonder what's happening with that . . . ?

Criterion7 18th October 2012 03:28 PM

I listed before the numerous reasons I think Argento actually needs to do this. Make money enough to make a film he really wants to make, expose his fans to a new audience. Some big super editions of his older films for us :dance:

Slippery Jack 18th October 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 283538)
Some big super editions of his older films for us :dance:

Yeah! With bonus soundtrack CD's n' stuff. Get Malleus to do the cover art - classy rather than trashy :nod: . . .

Slinker 2nd November 2012 06:41 PM

So wanna see this...looks like major league trashy fun ! i really dont know if Argento was serious about this one?

ThePopeofCOSDS 24th November 2012 02:11 AM

I hate to say it, The Church is comprised of a bunch of die-hard Argentophiles.... but this looks absolutely atrocious. :doh:

- Razor88

profondo rosso 24th November 2012 04:05 PM

Does anybody know when Dracula is actualy coming out? I keep looking / searching the net and end up on another horror site, looking at reviews and end up buying another film! Its costing me a fortune!

Susan Foreman 24th November 2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 295218)
Does anybody know when Dracula is actualy coming out?

No UK date as yet, but IMDB has the following:

Hungary - 2012
France - 19 May 2012 (Cannes Film Festival) (premiere)
Czech Republic - 30 June 2012 (Karlovy Vary Film Festival)
Spain - 9 October 2012 (Sitges Film Festival)
Spain - 9 November 2012
Italy - 22 November 2012
Brazil - 18 October 2013

ThePopeofCOSDS 24th November 2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 295218)
Does anybody know when Dracula is actualy coming out? I keep looking / searching the net and end up on another horror site, looking at reviews and end up buying another film! Its costing me a fortune!

I've only read that IFC Midnight was releasing it stateside in 2013. Other parts of the world, I'm sure will see it much sooner.

-Nom

profondo rosso 24th November 2012 07:25 PM

Seems like an eternity for this release! And with the anticipated let down, this just adds to it.

Susan Foreman 17th January 2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 79157)
When's that out on DVD?

In Italy, DVD and Blu-Ray - March 27, 2013

Criterion7 19th March 2013 12:22 AM

I just watched Argento's Dracula...OMG...It was ed wood levels of badness. What the hell has happened to Argento?

platostotal 19th March 2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Criterion7 (Post 328856)
I just watched Argento's Dracula...OMG...It was ed wood levels of badness. What the hell has happened to Argento?

Damn, I was hoping he'd improve the film after that dodgy trailer, oh well...