Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Dario Argento's Dracula 3D (2012) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/2853-dario-argentos-dracula-3d-2012-a.html)

Criterion7 19th March 2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 328857)
Damn, I was hoping he'd improve the film after that dodgy trailer, oh well...

I am probably the biggest Argento fan you'll ever meet and it pained me watching that. The production was horrible, Simonetti's score was incredibly bad. It was Manos level of badness.

I am literally sitting here stunned me and my GF are both shocked at how bad the film was.

I just would like to see him make one more film, something decent. Don't want his career ending with a movie that looked worse than the Bare Wench Project.

Jinx_Barkman 19th March 2013 01:48 AM

Very disheartening to hear but I can't say I'm surprised. I'd rather him just hang them up than continue to tarnish his filmography.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2013 09:00 AM

I watched this last night... here's my review: ‘Dracula 3D’ review by bizarre_eye • Letterboxd

Susan Foreman 19th March 2013 10:59 AM

It's online here - Watch Dracula (2012) Online for Free - Viooz

Frankenhooker 19th March 2013 11:19 AM

Unfortunately, It really is awful and this is coming from someone who found something to enjoy in both Mother Of Tears and Giallo. Whereas those two films had moments of unintentional comedy and as a result are moderately entertaining, Dracula is just dull. It's also a very odd film, on the one hand it's a fairly faithful adaptation, on the other the Count turns into a giant Praying Mantis. It's pretty bloody for a Dracula film, although the gore is so poorly done it's instantly forgettable, there is a gunshot scene that apes the one in The Stendhal Syndrome but pales in comparison. There's quite a bit of nudity, including Asia which is now just starting to get creepy.

Overall, it's just about worth watching out of a sense of curiosity, there are moments when tonally it's similar to Hammer but those moments are fleeting.

platostotal 19th March 2013 11:33 AM

He really should know better, he has a great eye for film but just seems not to bother anymore, wonder what the man himself thinks of his recent work, tho it does leave room for a stunning comeback(make it soon tho) where has our Dario gone?

Handyman Joe 19th March 2013 11:58 AM

I've watched the first 10 minutes - are we sure this isn't a Nigel Wingrove movie? Horrible cheap DV camerawork, big gratuitous tits, no sense of atmosphere, laughable acting, cheesy theremin sounds, cartoon animals. He even stooped to ripping off the scene in Inferno where the apparent rescuer turns out to be a bad un. As Sick Boy put it Argento - had it, lost it, can't hack it anymore. Sad to be honest, he's making a fool of himself here.

trebor8273 19th March 2013 12:44 PM

Not even going to bother watching this from what's been posted, what's happened to this once great man? :(

PaulD 19th March 2013 03:03 PM

Just finished it and it is indeed an utter stinker. Giallo was a load of arse but at least it almost looked like a proper film. This just reeks of cheapness, largely down to the tatty DV cinematography where everything is constantly in focus (a result of shooting in 3D and Darios inexperience with digital cinematography I guess). Just woeful.

Hawkmonger 19th March 2013 03:26 PM

I'll watch it tonight. Better get at least a giggle out of me or i'll be pissed tomorrow. :mmph:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 328939)
I'll watch it tonight. Better get at least a giggle out of me or i'll be pissed tomorrow. :mmph:

The giant green CGI mantis could provide you with such a reaction. :nod:

PaulD 19th March 2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 328940)
The giant green CGI mantis could provide you with such a reaction. :nod:

God yeah, that was hilarious. So was one of the wolf transformations.

Justin101 19th March 2013 03:37 PM

I saw the preying mantis on tumblr last night and thought it was someone messing about - i never thought it was actually really in the film :lol:

Handyman Joe 19th March 2013 05:53 PM

2 things have become obvious in the career of Dario Argento-

He now makes films solely to surround himself with nude women, including (shudder) his daughter. Concepts such as artistic pride have gone, I fear forever.

The only reason he gets (limited) financing is because a hard core rump of completists will buy any old crap he does just to 'fill the gaps'. If any said fanatics are reading this - please, pretty please, for the love of God, stop buying them, for everyones sake!

JAMIOUSE 19th March 2013 06:24 PM

Sounds like a real winner doesn't it! Have some of you bought the Italian DVD / BR release? Is it any better in Italian or just as bad? Strange how no UK companies have picked this up yet, especially as so many cheap, bad horror films seem to get a release here.

Hawkmonger 19th March 2013 09:51 PM

...Dario, dude. Just hang up the gloves and pretend this didn't happen, okay?*

*I can see the praying mantis becoming a new meme on here, seriously, made a dull film quite funny.:pound:

Edgeworth 20th March 2013 02:46 PM

Screen caps of Mantis? Can't find on Google. You guys are making want to see it for comedic value!

Hawkmonger 20th March 2013 02:50 PM

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/669...1215a12025.pnghttp://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1...1215a12030.png

This guys loving it!
http://www.splattercontainer.com/ima..._dracula3d.jpg

JAMIOUSE 20th March 2013 06:37 PM

I know it's Dario's retelling of the story but why on earth would he think 'you know what's always been missing from Dracula, a Mantis! There just isn't enough Mantis's in horror films'.

Criterion7 20th March 2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 329312)
I know it's Dario's retelling of the story but why on earth would he think 'you know what's always been missing from Dracula, a Mantis! There just isn't enough Mantis's in horror films'.

I get that he likes insects which really surprised me in his underuse of the Reinfeld aspect on that one so he makes up with it with a Giant mantis!!

This film has owl dracula, mantis dracula, bunch of flies dracula(which leads me to believe Drac was also behind the whole Amityville thing..it all makes sense now)

This is going to be like the Room on badness levels. Argento has made a classic just the wrong kind of classic.

Nostalgic 23rd March 2013 10:03 AM

Just curious...any word on this getting ANY KIND OF RELEASE AT ALL in the UK?

Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem has gone straight to dvd (not even a blu release!!!), and yet Paranormal Activity 5, and remakes of Carrie and The Evil Dead threaten the future of our cinema screens!

I'm not expecting much from Drac 3D, but seriously, can we have a little more than franchises in cinemas & direct-to-dvd garbage filling up the Sainsburys £8.99 section!

trebor8273 23rd March 2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 330017)
Just curious...any word on this getting ANY KIND OF RELEASE AT ALL in the UK?

Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem has gone straight to dvd (not even a blu release!!!), and yet Paranormal Activity 5, and remakes of Carrie and The Evil Dead threaten the future of our cinema screens!

I'm not expecting much from Drac 3D, but seriously, can we have a little more than franchises in cinemas & direct-to-dvd garbage filling up the Sainsburys £8.99 section!

Previews etc of evil dead of been actually very good, maybe we should actually see something before we judge it? Ok it's a given the paranormal activity 5 will be crap, but the others might be good, look at maniac a fantastic remake and stands on its own merits, it could be because of people judging it, is the reason it seems to be doing so poorly

Rik 23rd March 2013 10:28 AM

The Evil Dead remake is tipped to be the Horror of the year, not one bad review yet

Nostalgic 23rd March 2013 10:40 AM

I get it, let's see everything before deciding if it's any good, however, horror perhaps needs a new cycle to go through. cinematically, I know it's a genre of imitation, but we're stuck in the "from the producers of Insidious" phase at the moment (didn't Japan and Korea exhaust that with the Ring/Dark Water/Whispering stairs/50 million other ghost stories), so I would dearly love to see something "different".

Ironically, Drac 3D being a remake of sorts, and Lords of Salem looking like Suspiria in many shots is not a problem. Evil Dead, I'm sure, has been brought out as a result of the success of "Cabin in the Woods" (and yes, I loved it as meta-horror, but it wasn't scary, merely fun in the films/ideas it referenced), and the majority of people who go & see this remake will be blissfully unaware that there were 3 previous Evil Dead movies.

Hell, most people I speak to just about know about Dawn of the Dead ("Yeah, is that the one with Ving Rhames?") and are completely unaware of Romero's original trilogy. the closest they come are having seen Sean of the Dead, thinking it's a horror film & going to see Resident Evil or Underworld once a new one gets CGI'd into cinemas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex Aja's Maniac remake, as most of his remakes have come out well (HHE & Piranah), but a real "audience" for horror (as I knew it) is dead.

It must be me getting nostalgic, but I will find it rather amusing seeing a commercial remake of the Evil Dead while Sam Raimi's "Oz The Great And Powerful" plays in the screen next door, lol!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd March 2013 11:20 AM

I think there's always been a very small audience for horror as it's generally been considered a 'disreputable' genre, so it's no surprise so many are DTV releases with only big names being screened theatrically.

Hopefully, those who watch the Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead and Maniac remakes and films like Shaun of the Dead and The Cabin in the Woods will then want to watch the original Dawn of the Dead (and the others in the trilogy), the Evil Dead films and Maniac and then become interested in other classic horror films.

Delirium 23rd March 2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 330026)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex Aja's Maniac remake, as most of his remakes have come out well (HHE & Piranah), but a real "audience" for horror (as I knew it) is dead.

It's excellent, but credit to the director Franck Khalfoun and cinematographer Maxime Alexandre, who worked on Switchblade Romance and The Hills Have Eyes among others. Aja produced (along with William Lustig and others) and shared screenwriting credits, although it does have his quality badge stamped all over it (let's ignore Mirrors in that statement).

Slippery Jack 23rd March 2013 12:37 PM

I thought Khalfoun/Aja's P2 was alright too :nod: . . .

Delirium 23rd March 2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 330048)

Yeah, it wasn't bad at all.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd March 2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 330048)

I didn't like it that much – it's probably the weakest film they've made.

Slippery Jack 23rd March 2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 330063)
I didn't like it that much – it's probably the weakest film they've made.

Yeah it's no classic, but I was impressed by the nasty streak it had. The one scene that sticks in my mind is the bit where they guy gets repeatedly squashed against the wall by the car - clearly inspired by Torso . . . !

Rik 23rd March 2013 03:24 PM

I haven't seen it, but I'm no fan of the original anyway

doolahrock 11th April 2013 06:55 AM

Oaft!

The shabby reviews keep dripping in -

THE MOVIE WAFFLER: New Release Review - Dracula (3D)

zane 11th April 2013 09:05 AM

I actually have to admitt that I kinda liked it at a very low level. It has enough solid gore and beautiful naked women to entertain. And the photography actually looks kinda nice in a few scenes.

Rik 11th April 2013 09:11 AM

I didn't mind it either, it isn't great but it's not half as bad as I was expecting and I'll probably pick it up on BD when it's cheap enough

Hawkmonger 11th April 2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 334862)
I didn't mind it either, it isn't great but it's not half as bad as I was expecting and I'll probably pick it up on BD when it's cheap enough

Vamantis in HD!:pound:

Rik 11th April 2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 334863)
Vamantis in HD!:pound:

:confused:

Hawkmonger 11th April 2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 334864)
:confused:

Vampire-Mantis. VA-Mantis. It was a pun. It failed. I'll shut up now.:lol:

Rik 11th April 2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 334865)
Vampire-Mantis. VA-Mantis. It was a pun. It failed. I'll shut up now.:lol:

Ah, I get you now, I'd tried my best to block that God awful creature out of my mind :lol:

Hawkmonger 11th April 2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 334868)
Ah, I get you now, I'd tried my best to block that God awful creature out of my mind :lol:

It's the best bit! I was wetting myself with tears.:pound:

tele1962 21st April 2013 08:57 AM

AV Maniacs review is up:

AV Maniacs » Blog Archive » Dario Argento’s Dracula 3D: Blu Ray Review