Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 2010's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Evil Dead (2013) Remake (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/2010s/6200-evil-dead-2013-remake.html)

dis 13th June 2010 07:35 PM

Evil Dead (2013) Remake

hi all,i have read that sam raimi is either going to make a part4 or do a remake of the original!has anybody got any light to shed?im a big fan of the original but think after this it went a bit silly/down hill.liked part 2 but nothing special.and as for army of darkness/medievil dead i aint even seen it!should i?think if it is remade it will be full of cgi and with the way films are going it wil probalby be in 3d?out of interest has anybody seen the actual original/promo screener "within the woods"?

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th June 2010 09:48 PM

Lets hope they never remake The Evil Dead! And you should see Army of Darkness.It's more of a Ray Harryhausen film done by Sam Raimi with his (and bruce Campbell's) style of slapstick comedy thrown into the mix.I'm still hoping that one day an Evil Dead dvd (or blu-ray) will include Within The Woods.I'm not holding my breath though.

Peter Neal 14th June 2010 07:47 AM

An "Evil Dead" remake has been on the horizon every now and then over the last 10 years, only to disappear from the radar whenever things seem to get more serious.
While it's one of the very few defining horror classics from the 80's still lacking a "redux", I have a feeling that this one might not happen after all- because the "remake wave"- as well as the "strong horror boom" in the mainstream- is slowly but surely going down; it might not seem like that right now with a new title arriving every other week, but I don't think we'll see many more projects being announced, with not even all of the already mentioned potential "remakes" actually getting made after all, like the sometimes proposed "Silent Night, Deadly Night" redux.
We're right now at the highest mark of the "horror remake tide"- it can and will only go down from here imho, with the disappointing/mediocre box-office of many of the recent upgrades and "strong horror" entries only proving my point.

Personally, I wouldn't be so much against an "Evil Dead" remake, BUT I can only really see this work if they get a wild Japanese filmmaker like Miike and give him the needed artistic freedom to cut loose.:woot:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th June 2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 86057)
hi all,i have read that sam raimi is either going to make a part4 or do a remake of the original!has anybody got any light to shed?im a big fan of the original but think after this it went a bit silly/down hill.liked part 2 but nothing special.and as for army of darkness/medievil dead i aint even seen it!should i?think if it is remade it will be full of cgi and with the way films are going it wil probalby be in 3d?out of interest has anybody seen the actual original/promo screener "within the woods"?

I have read this post about three times now so think I have got the gist of what you are asking.

Firstly, I don't have any light to shed on either a remake of the brilliant film that is The Evil Dead. I don't think there is an official announcement about a fourth instalment either.

Secondly, I really like Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn and, if you watch it for what it is: a horror film crossed with Loony Tunes/The Three Stooges knockabout comedy, then it is a riot and one of the finest horror/comedy films ever made.

Thirdly, you should definitely watch Army of Darkness as it is a film that is an absolute mess but holds up purely because of Bruce Campbell!

Finally, I haven't seen that promotional screen you mentioned, so can't comment.

I don't mean this to sound harsh or demeaning in any way, but could you pay a little more attention to how you write and include line breaks and spaces between sentences? Your posts can be a little difficult to read, that's all. Just make sure you don't lose the passion!

ramses 14th June 2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 86057)
out of interest has anybody seen the actual original/promo screener "within the woods"?

I got a DVD-R of the Dawn of the Dead Monroeville Mall tour on eBay a few years back and Within The Woods was one of the extras on the disc.

It's very bad quality picture-wise but quite an enjoyable watch. As far as I remember Bruce and Ellen Sandweiss are the only Evil Dead actors in it.

dis 14th June 2010 04:46 PM

sorry!thought it read o.k.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th June 2010 07:33 PM

It is fine as long as you use the space bar in between sentences! Without the odd space after each sentence (and maybe a line break here and there) prose can get a little difficult to read!

wayfarer 15th June 2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 86102)
An "Evil Dead" remake has been on the horizon every now and then over the last 10 years, only to disappear from the radar whenever things seem to get more serious.
While it's one of the very few defining horror classics from the 80's still lacking a "redux", I have a feeling that this one might not happen after all- because the "remake wave"- as well as the "strong horror boom" in the mainstream- is slowly but surely going down; it might not seem like that right now with a new title arriving every other week, but I don't think we'll see many more projects being announced, with not even all of the already mentioned potential "remakes" actually getting made after all, like the sometimes proposed "Silent Night, Deadly Night" redux.
We're right now at the highest mark of the "horror remake tide"- it can and will only go down from here imho, with the disappointing/mediocre box-office of many of the recent upgrades and "strong horror" entries only proving my point.

Personally, I wouldn't be so much against an "Evil Dead" remake, BUT I can only really see this work if they get a wild Japanese filmmaker like Miike and give him the needed artistic freedom to cut loose.:woot:

I agree with what you say. Miike would be a great director to have a stab at the project. Ever since I heard rumblings of a possible remake I've hoped that it was done as a straightforward nasty horror movie - none of the humour that came into it from Evil Dead 2. I remember the first time that I saw a still of the possessed girl in the cellar, black blood issuing from her mouth and those white eye contacts. Grisly. Many forget how scary the first actually was, and I sympathise with those that question how it ever could have been, but it was unsettling back in 1983.

For a remake I'd want it to be worthy of Stephen King's quote in that it has to be as nasty as possible and go back to what is scary about possessed people - something no-one appears to be able to get right. Look at Haunting in Conneticut for example.

There is absolutely no point in remaking Evil Dead as a horror comedy but I fear that is what would happen if the movie got a greenlight.

As for an Evil Dead 4, I doubt it will happen whilst Burn Notice continues it's popular run.

dis 15th June 2010 05:23 PM

would people want this remade? i think it may spoil the cult status of the original? ground breaking film for the early 80s and on a shoestring budget. think we will have to wait and see,but i think someone will remake it over the next 3 years? and possibly ruin it! does the evil dead remake deserve a poll?

EvilJames 15th June 2010 05:37 PM

The remake and Evil Dead IV will never happen. Personally, I think any remake talk has just been a ruse on Raimi's part to stall other producers/filmmakers from approaching him with the same idea.

Let the trilogy lie.

BioZombie 15th June 2010 07:18 PM

I thought I heard Bruce Campbell said any remake was shelved due to negative fan reaction (I dont have a source for this though).

I do know however that Bruce is extremely against the idea of a fourth film. When I saw him at a press screening for My Name Is Bruce he compared it to doing the fourth Indiana Jones and how eveyone had hated that.

I have heard quotes from Sam Raimi saying hes working on an Evil Dead IV script with is brother Ivan and that when the time comes he will be able to convince Bruce. I'm not holding my breath though...

wongfeihung62 15th June 2010 08:21 PM

I saw "Within the woods" at the Scala at one of the Shock Around The Clock fests. Made in B&W if I remember and quite enjoyable.

BioZombie 15th June 2010 08:24 PM

Pretty certain within the woods is in colour I saw it not so long ago.

wayfarer 16th June 2010 07:58 AM

I have a German DVD of The Evil Dead with Within the Woods as an extra. The quality is pretty awful as it has been ripped from a damaged VHS screener. I can confirm that the short film is in colour.

dis 16th June 2010 04:10 PM

i once seen a docu on channel four about sam raimi/evil dead and it showed alot of the three stooges and a little of "within the woods".
was definately in colour and very poor.think they were playing monoply as cheryl,i think was being chased up the garden. this is the scene in the evil dead where she has just been raped by the trees,runs back to the cabin and struggles to get the keys of top of the door frame i believe? any evil dead edituion contain this short film?

ramses 16th June 2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dis (Post 86584)
i once seen a docu on channel four about sam raimi/evil dead and it showed alot of the three stooges and a little of "within the woods".

That was part of Jonathan Ross's Incredibly Strange Film Show. The Raimi episode was one of the extras on ABUK's Evil Dead Trilogy box set but beware - all the Within The Woods footage plus all the footage from the early Raimi shorts is missing. (And the Crimewave stuff if I remember correctly).

Unfortunately Raimi appears to be ashamed of his pre-Evil Dead work and it seems unlikely that any of it will see the light of day any time soon.

dis 16th June 2010 08:20 PM

yeah,jonathan ross show!loved it.ashamed! he should be proud,what a film/trilogy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InDogWeTrust 14th July 2011 06:43 AM

Evil Dead Remake (2013)

So it's been confirmed!

The Evil Dead remake confirmed - Den of Geek

I don't know what to think...

Prince_Vajda 14th July 2011 09:01 AM

Some movies really don't need any remakes. The Evil Dead is definitely one of them. Period.

Greetings!

InDogWeTrust 14th July 2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 165676)
Some movies really don't need any remakes. The Evil Dead is definitely one of them. Period.

Greetings!

Yeah, It doesn't really need one but still could be interesting.

I just hope the remake stays within the cult film genre. If it's made into some big Hollywood, Movie theater remake, It would just kill the original trilogy.

I really hope that doesn't happen!

dream demon 14th July 2011 09:40 AM

Hopefully with the involvement of Raimi, Tapert, and Campbell, they should see this kept on the right track. Fingers crossed!

Daemonia 14th July 2011 10:05 AM

I don't think any remake actually 'kills off' the original. It's not as if the original suddenly ceases to exist. If the remake is crap, just don't see it and stick with the original film. Personally, I'd be interested to see how this tuens out. Could be interesting. Point is, whether we want it or not, they're going to remake it anyway and they won't listen to the likes of us. So either see it or don't. They're the only options, I'm afraid.

I'm not anti-remakes, some can turn out well and become classics in their own right (The Thing, The Fly etc). What I've objected to in recent years is the sheer volume of remakes coming out of Hollywood, it's been ridiculous.

PaulD 14th July 2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 165689)
I'm not anti-remakes, some can turn out well and become classics in their own right (The Thing, The Fly etc). What I've objected to in recent years is the sheer volume of remakes coming out of Hollywood, it's been ridiculous.

The thing with those two remakes is that they were both done by directors with a clear vision and who were enormous fans of the originals. The problem I think with the recent spate of remakes over the last few years is that the idea to remake a popular and famous film comes first, and then they stick a director on the project afterwards.

wayfarer 14th July 2011 10:17 AM

I want to keep an open mind to this "remake" or whatever it will turn out to be. The first movie is an iconic movie in my back catalogue. It made a huge impression on me when I first saw it. Whilst I would have preferred a darker movie, Evil Dead 2 was a lot of fun, although I preferred the make-up effects in the original, to the plastic looking effects in 2.

What I would love to see in a new Evil Dead film is a return to the gross out, spookiness of the original; a push towards a more hardcore horror than Army of Darkness. The demon possessed make-up could do with being similar to the crusty cereal look of the first film.

I use The Evil Dead comic book adaptation as an example of how it could be done. anyone read it? It expanded a little on the first film without losing the atmosphere and story. We got narration from an older Ash, complete with that cynical sense of humour of his, but nothing too OTT like the one-liners in AOD. There were flashbacks to Ash's first high school meeting with Linda and his relationship with Scotty. All this had a more contemporary feel to it without losing the spirit of the movie.

*****COMIC BOOK SPOILERS!!!!!******
What was genius about this adaptation was the end. It all goes how you expect until the reader finds that it's all been a dream. Normally, I'd groan at this idea but what it does is pave the way for Evil Dead 2. Ash wakes in the car, with Linda driving and they find themselves at the cabin. So, the beginning of the Evil Dead 2 movie would have worked.

wayfarer 14th July 2011 10:18 AM

what does bother me is seeing titles like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D. Despair sets in.

Demoncrat 14th July 2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 165661)
So it's been confirmed!

The Evil Dead remake confirmed - Den of Geek

I don't know what to think...

loved the comments under the spiel....having just watched this on the big screen recently...no remake would touch the sheer inventivness(?) of some of the shots, all CGI etc....but then again DMTH combined top rate FX with his oldschool approach...so dont go near it if you hate remakes.....il never watch that weaker man etc....

InDogWeTrust 14th July 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 165689)
I don't think any remake actually 'kills off' the original. It's not as if the original suddenly ceases to exist. If the remake is crap, just don't see it and stick with the original film. Personally, I'd be interested to see how this tuens out. Could be interesting. Point is, whether we want it or not, they're going to remake it anyway and they won't listen to the likes of us. So either see it or don't. They're the only options, I'm afraid.

That's not exactly what I meant. I think of The Evil Dead as a cult film yet if the remake becomes a big Hollywood film I would no longer see the original films as cult films.

Demoncrat 14th July 2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 165706)
That's not exactly what I meant. I think of The Evil Dead as a cult film yet if the remake becomes a big Hollywood film I would no longer see the original films as cult films.

Que??

InDogWeTrust 14th July 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 165707)
Que??

I don't know, I was up all night and still haven't slept so I don't exactly know what I'm saying.

PaulD 14th July 2011 11:36 AM

One of the great things about The Evil Dead is the spirit of the film, the DIY approach Raimi took, the way it was might outside of a studio. In many ways this attitude is what makes certain parts of the film so good - the make-up, the low-budget feel of the film, the inventiveness of some of the shots. I don't see what a remake can add to this, even with the original cast/production team on board as producers.

Demoncrat 14th July 2011 12:01 PM

what they should do is a "redo" of the bollywood ripoff...that at least would be an original approach to this thing we call remake. harumph.

nekromantik 14th July 2011 12:16 PM

I doubt it will be any good without Campbell acting in it.

It could be a fun flick and if Rami is involved then hopefully it can be a not too bad remake.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 14th July 2011 02:00 PM

I've seen fandom get up in arms about a remake, only to eat it's words when it turns out to be good too many times to damn anything before it comes out.

In all honesty I find remakes really interesting; I like to see different takes on existing stories. The criticism that there are too many these days is probably fair, but equally I think the effect of that by fandom is a bit over-stated too. You'd think there was nothing original made these days. I've never personally found myself struggling for original films to watch, you just have to look beyond what's playing at your local multiplex, or pay attention to the smaller films. Support what you thing deserves supporting - have the courage of your convictions.

The most absurd thing I ever read was someone on twitter with strong moral objections to the Nightmare on Elm St remake. It wasn't that they just thought it would be bad, but that they objected to its very existence....then they went to see it.

I asked why they went to see it and their response was "I like to support the horror genre". Riiiight, so paying your money to see films that you think are damaging to the genre is a good way to support it?

I'd have prefered Ash to have his "Unforgiven" with an Evil Dead 4, but if it's not to be then it's not to be. I hope for the best with the remake.

oaxaca 14th July 2011 03:23 PM

:fear:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th July 2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs (Post 165788)
I've seen fandom get up in arms about a remake, only to eat it's words when it turns out to be good too many times to damn anything before it comes out.

Which remakes are good?

I can only think of The Hills Have Eyes and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Carnival of Souls, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm St, Prom Night, The Fog, One Missed Call etc are all dreadfull.

Evil Dead doesn't need another remake, not after Evil Dead 2.

oaxaca 14th July 2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 165799)
Which remakes are good?

Carnival of Souls, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm St, Prom Night, The Fog, One Missed Call etc are all dreadfull.

Evil Dead doesn't need another remake, not after Evil Dead 2.

That new FRIGHT NIGHT trailer looks abysmal too! :p

PaulD 14th July 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 165799)
Which remakes are good?

Carnival of Souls, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm St, Prom Night, The Fog, One Missed Call etc are all dreadfull..

I thought the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was passable at best when I first saw it, and when I went to watch it a second time I didn't even make it to the end! I thought The Hills Have Eyes and Friday 13th were both ok in their own way, although maybe a 2nd viewing will prove otherwise. It doesn't change the fact that they're pointless and unecessary.

Baseball Fury 14th July 2011 03:52 PM

The Crazies was pretty good, as was Dawn of the Dead (as it's own thing). Savini's NOTLD is another good remake. As said elsewhere, The Thing was a great one, and The Amityville Horror was another alright one (considering I HATE the original).

Werner Herzog's Nosferatu was a good one (although is it really a remake?), The Blob, Cape Fear... there's loads of good ones!

My favourite one of all is The Wicker Man though ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th July 2011 04:13 PM

We're going to have a serious Fallout BF!;)

EVIL DEAD REMAKE?

YAWN! :lol:

Baseball Fury 14th July 2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 165807)
We're going to have a serious Fallout BF!;)

The Cage one is just so much better. "OH NO, NOTS THE BEES!! THE BEEEEES", 90 minutes of punching women, no Christopher Lee, what's not to like?

Tee hee.