View Single Post
Old 10th February 2012, 09:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I'm a Cyborg - I'd never seen this till now - when it came out the reviews made it sound like a mere trifle compared to Oldboy, some kind of step back, almost an apology of a film. Bullshit. There's no extreme violence here but to say its lightweight is totally wrong, in its own way its just as confrontational. Consider the brilliant opening scene, a production line worker so deadened by routine she begins to modify her own body rather than the radio she's supposed to be assembling, inserting wires into her flesh, conducting electricity into her bloodstream. Not exactly a feelgood movie. Early fears that mental illness is being used as a quirky plot adornment prove unfounded as you begin to genuinely care about these lost souls. I hope I'm not making this sound boring, there's flights of fancy and invention to burn in a succession of dream/fantasy scenes. The ending at first glance seems abrupt but it's the best kind, one that resonates and sinks in long after the film is over. Blu ray transfer is impeccable and for the current low price this is a must buy.

Boring this film ISNT. in fact its my favourite rom com and should be more apprieciated, with this and that "border dispute" film of his, i knew i was looking at a new master at the pantheon etc.

AAnyway...watched Monster/Humanoids from the Deep (Barbara Peeters, natch) as mate hadnt seen it, and balked at last minute about POAK (who can blame him? not me) thoroughly enjoyed this, but then i always did, Morrow's wig(?) a definite highlight, but the violence more violent than i remember, i presume the warner VHS i saw was cut, yes? as i say, twas an enjoyable romp from start to finish.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]