View Single Post
Old 21st February 2012, 09:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
went to see chronicle. Actually better than I expected, plenty of cliche as anyone will guess the character arcs in the film but certainly a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Wisely never explains the cause of the teens power, its just some glowing thing they find in the ground that gives them telekenetic powers and the final 3rd act telekentic rampage is highly entertaining. Not sure if it needed to be a found footage movie though.

And in defence of dagon, sure lovecraft would have hated it, he would have hated the stuff made by the lovecraft historical society as well. Lovecraft despised the medium of film and in all fairness the style of his storytelling, relying on implication and suggestion are not at all suited to the medium. That said Dagon takes the material and creates a very entertaing slice of horror cinema. Could I have lived without the gore? certainly but then that was always more a commercial consideration. Its also worth noting dennis paoli, stuart gordons long time collaborator on his lovecraft projects did his masters thesis on lovecrafts fiction!

well as i cant speak for Howard, im really just speaking for myself here where i thought Dagon was taking the piss out of HPL.
for a start it isnt Dagon! it's The Shadow Over Innsmouth....

Unlike the rather funny The Last Lovecraft: Relic Of Cthulhu (2009 , Henry Saine) which took various HPL themes and grafted a Jay & Silent Bob vibe onto it, NOT for everyone i'd say, but it didnt annoy me as much as the D film.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 21st February 2012 at 10:47 AM.