View Single Post
Old 21st May 2012, 08:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Orca - I faintly remember seeing this back in the very early days of video rental and seeing a silly, throwaway Jaws rip-off. Over the subsequent years I have read the critical slaughtering the film has had and seen the contempt in which it is held.

However, I am addicted to "monster of the water" films so bought the Italian DVD and rewatched it.

Well...I really liked it! Sure, I can see what people find silly about it, but I let myself buy it and let the film operate within its own world. Clearly it was intended to cash in on Jaws but it is quite different. The big, bitey dolphin is not really the bad guy and this adds a nice element to the story. It seems perfectly well made to me also and has decent performances - despite many internet critics lambasting the FX and Richard Harris's turn. Again, I really liked it.

So...yay, Orca!
Great film.Hugely underrated with better modelwork than Jaws when the fake whale is used (Hard to tell when most of the time).Superb & haunting Ennio Morricone score too though the vocal version at the end grates !.If anything more of a 'rip-off' of Moby Dick than Jaws (Though even that steals from MD)