View Single Post
Old 9th June 2012, 02:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last few films watched....

BLACK RAIN: Ridley Scott's crime thriller starring Michael Douglas on the hunt for a Yakuza hitman/mob boss with his partner Andy Garcia through the streets of Osaka, Japan. While it's a bit overlong, it's still an engrossing action thriller with a superb performance from Douglas. Scott's visuals are beautiful as he makes the neon lights of Osaka look like the streets of LA in Blade Runner. Quality stuff.

THE HIT LIST: This way above average DTV action thriller starring Cuba Gooding Jr and Cole Hauser does something most DTV movie don't do, include an interesting plot and good performances. This is less action packed than most 'fight factory' releases and Cuba is on great form as the psychotic hitman Jonas. It's like a low budget Collateral and one which i think i'll find more watchable than the Michael Mann film. Check it out.

ALIEN RAIDERS: This low budget sci-fi horror from the Raw Feed Label is actually a well made creature feature about a group of people searching for a King Alien in an arizona supermarket. Some outstanding practical visual FX and a cast of actors from TV shows like Chuck, 24, Prison Break and Six Feet Under make it a choice watch. Seek it out if you can.

THE MUPPETS (2011): I can't remember the last time i cried with laughter at a film that was supposed to be funny. The Muppets is pure awesomeness in a can, very very funny and even though there were some duff musical numbers such as Chris Cooper rapping, the film entertained every bone in my body. A great self mocking script from obvious muppet fan Jason Seagal really helps but it took 54 minutes for Pepe the Prawn to appear. One of the best films i've seen this year, just an absolute joy to watch.

MAN ON A LEDGE
: I had visions of this being utter trash but in actuality, it was a well constructed heist thriller with a good performance from Sam Worthington. The film is a little far fetched but that's what you get with high concept thrillers like this. Ed Harris has fun hamming it up as the villain and it's always great to see William Sadler on screen. Just take it as a popcorn film and you should get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.