View Single Post
Old 30th August 2012, 07:27 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Damn that must be tricky not having any reference to work from! And yeah, Ingrid works a treat, her and Cushing are my faves. How did the composition come about? Did you have to include certain/all of the characters, or were you given free reign . . . ?
Hi Jack,
The best thing about doing DarkSide covers is the artist gets total free reign. The worst thing is the money! Fortunately the originals fetch quite good prices so DS jobs are definitely worth doing although this month's cover (the attached Leatherface) is sticking. The trouble is, once you slap a lot of gore into a painting you are restricted on buyers and price. Also Leatherface was done much scrappier because of the nature of his character. Working without reference photos is OK but only if your punters appreciate totally original covers. I'd much rather see a Frazetta fantasy painting which he pulled straight out of his head than a Boris Vallejo woodenly posed underwear model with wings tacked on her back! I'm no Frank Frazetta of course but my favorite Arrow covers were the Bay of Blood / Inferno type ones which were all imagination. Of course, they were also my most hated! I think it's best to compromise like I did with The Beyond cover. I hate just copying stills like on Tenebre, they might as well just use the photo.