View Single Post
Old 28th March 2013, 06:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin View Post
[Double Post]

Would you guys consider John Waters' films of the 70s as horror? I haven't actually seen any of them, but I've read quite a good deal about them. I want to watch them, but right now I'm trying to limit my viewing to things that are eligible in this poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGunnar Hansen View Post
They're definitely not horror despite all of them having murder and Pink Flamingos particularly having some murder / cannibalism. They are all pretty horrible and an acquired taste, but also hilarious! I love em. Start with Pink Flamingos, it's closest to horror . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
After Frankie's post, I'm tempted to add Pink Flamingos to my list. A vast majority of Waters' films indeed deal with the horrific, so I'd certainly say that some could be considered representative of the horror genre... but as I've mentioned many times before, it's all down to personal opinion/interpretation.
Pink Flamingos is likely to appear on my list, I do think it is important to include stuff you feel is horror that is often neglected, most people expect horror to be straight up murder, gore, ghosts or creatures but horror is a genre that should just simply shock and disgust and does John Waters do that, yes? Now what shocks and disgusts you is quite personal (these days it's just blood blood blood), I know a lot of members here would consider Twilight, High School Musical, etc. shocking and disgusting for other reasons. This film could easily have been darker but it's wry. To me it's a very important film.