View Single Post
Old 19th November 2014, 11:43 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Haunts (1977)

'Haunts' is a curious little psychological horror film in which Swede May Britt plays Ingrid, a girl with a troubled past who lives with her uncle in a small rural community.

Deeply religious and adverse to the advances of and physical contact by men, our farm girl is unfortunate enough to endure multiple ordeals in the stretch of a short period including stalkings and physical and sexual assaults.

Parallel to Ingrid's attacks, the town sheriff (played by Aldo Ray) is heading up an investigation into a series of brutal scissor-attacks of other local girls by a masked assailant.

Whilst all this may sound pretty formulaic, as the film trundles on, nothing is as cut and dried as it seems... but to elaborate would be to spoil things.

Overall, this was fairly enjoyable, and the more of Herb Freed's films I watch, the more I respect him as a director. Whilst none of the films I've viewed so far are particularly mind-blowing, they are at least solid works and all add something a little unique and interesting to that saturated cess-pool which is '70s horror cinema.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread