View Single Post
Old 13th June 2016, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bone Tomahawk (2015)

Kurt Russell plays the sheriff of a small western town who together with three other men form a posse to go after the Indians who raided the town the previous night and kidnapped three of the townsfolk.

What follows is an often slow burning western which should appeal to lovers of the genre. It's easy to forget in this age of building throwing superheroes and Empire battling space operas how thrilling it can be watching men on horseback galloping along the plains, but this first time venture from director S. Craig Zahler (surely a name to look out for in the future) proves the classic western is still not dead. Because that's what Bone Tomahawk is, it's a classic western albeit with a twist, but at it's heart this tale of love and revenge is a lot closer to True Grit and The Searchers than it is to Django Unchained.

As the four are eventually captured by their savage foes who turn out not to be Indians but something else entirely, the film gets extremely violent and graphic. Yet for some reason it's the beautifully choreographed and languid build up, the first 90 minutes that linger in my memory. The realization that four men - Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox and Richard Jenkins - all excellent - telling camp fire tales and generally being tall in the saddle against the odds, when well scripted, is still as relevant today as it was in the fifties and the golden age of the Hollywood western.

Highly recommended, but definitely not for the squeamish.
Great review, makes me want to watch it again.

As to my Chuck comment.
Kinjite - Forbidden Subjects (1989, J Lee Thompson)

They really do not make 'em like this any more. Bronson looks tired and old, so the editing around his "fight" scenes is priceless. I remember the VHS cover well from the before time, but left CB to my dad, who was a mildly rabid fan. Literally gobsmacking to a modern audience, the shifts in morality are quite interesting to anyone who takes note of folk devils/moral panics imo. And what Uncle Jess would have done here is something that will keep me up at night til....I get Girls in The Night Traffic.
Recommended!! See if you spot an early appearance by a current second tier star also....

Onto the mixed bag.

Queer Duck (2006, Xeth Fineberg)
From one of the Simpsons writers. Camp as feck cartoon. Not as amusing as the shorts, but was worth the look my mate said it was.

Hardcore Henry (2016, Ilya Naishuller)
Ooooh. Movie of the year almost, pity about the homophobia.

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016, Dan Trachtenberg)
Liked this, Goodman always worth watching etc. Some people have moaned, but see, I remember a lot of people hating the first film, so some small kudos to them for coming up with something different.

Hidden (2015, Duffer Bros)
A family take shelter in a fallout bunker after a virus outbreak. Worth a look. Did make a good double bill with 10CL imo.

The Bank Shot (1974, Gower Champion)
Crime caper based on a Richard Stark novel. Quite an undemanding little film really, which is just as well as the same night I had the "pleasure" to see....

The Brothers Grimsby (2016, Louis Leterrier)
Where SBC takes "gross out" to a whole new level. Sadly isn't as funny as he thinks it is, though the Liam gag was a personal highlight, as I've always hated Oasis. Am also sick to the back teeth of having the working class represented as nothing but scum. I am not scum, Jew boy.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]