View Single Post
Old 31st August 2016, 02:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Innocence (2004, Lucille Hadzihalovic)
Coming in a roundabout way from the same source material as Suspiria, this was more like it. Essentially it uses a tried and trusted framework, but within this is a whole world of bewonderment (??). Highly recommended.

Paprika (2006, Satoshi Kon)
The blu this time. Looked a bit soft in places, though this just may be my crappy tv.... Another comm where they sit around basically saying "Look! We got away with this!!" Which is to be applauded. If indeed you haven't seen this particular film, I can only say stop throwing your money away on a certain Andreas Bianchi disc........as this is like the ultimate present, you can never stop "unwrapping" it. And breathe!!

A Field In England (2013, Ben Wheatley)
From the psychotropic to the monochrome in one leap. Is it the spawn of an unholy marriage of a Public information film & folk horror?? Another film set "somewhere", like the other two above, which in all 3 cases isn't just used to shovel some "weirdness" at you. Phew!

Demolition Man (1993, Marco Brambilla)
It's is the smugness of most Hollywood productions that I can't stand, I've worked out. Plus The Bullock still resembles Kira . And to think they could have had Lori Petty, who might have injected some life into the part, instead of SB's furious mugging. Ho hum. So I dug out...

Tank Girl (1994, Rachel Talahay)
Beset with behind the scenes problems, this glorious mess is still one of my real guilty pleasures haha. Ice T as a kangaroo. Enough said.

Conan The Barbarian (1982, John Milius)
Thought I better actually watch a JM film.
AANyway. Priceless. Whilst I enjoyed The Sword & The Sorceror more on balance, CTD is next on the list!! A boy becomes a man, meets a girl and conquers half the known world...you know, that old tale.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]