View Single Post
Old 9th September 2016, 09:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Westworld (1973)

After a failed attempt at watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind on Sky Cinema (as it's now called), it was zoomed in from the OAR to 16:9 and the picture quality was akin to the Arrow blu-ray of City of the Living Dead I had to turn it off at 20 minutes because it was too distracting!!

I decided to watch Westworld instead which was also on my list of films I wanted to see this month. Let's get it out of the way immediately... this is the adult version of Jurassic Park, a film which Chrichton had 'moderate' success with some 20 years later!

Sloppy with your drink? Get this boy a bib!

So yes, this is a theme park gone bonkers movie and Yul Brynner steals the show completely without really saying much, apparently this performance influenced Carpenter in the way Michael Myers would appear on screen in Halloween.

The direction is adequate and that's about it, some bizarre tonal choices take you out of the scene, particularly the bar room brawl which starts out like a fight and quickly descends into slapstick not helped by the honky-tonk piano soundtrack. While some of the Medieval World scenes seem lifted directly out of a Harry Towers financed Franco movie, specifically near the end with a partly clothed android chained up and panting.

Overall, an enjoyable romp, not one of the best Sci-Fi films out there but one with an interesting plot and some great set-pieces.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 044a41438f389988b5668709b9f125c6.jpg (68.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg large_westworld_blu-ray_03.jpg (82.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg large_westworld_blu-ray_14.jpg (78.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg westworld.jpg (18.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg westworld_5.jpg (13.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg westworld1.jpg (32.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg westworldcast.jpg (92.4 KB, 1 views)

Triumphant sight on a northern sky