Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2016, 05:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Sep 7th:

Deadly Eyes (1982)

Romance blossoms between a divorced college basketball coach and a health inspector. Some giant rats show up for a bit too.

46/100

Watchers (1988)

Corey Haim and his haircut get out acted by a dog in this tale of escaped genetic research lab experiments running amok.

49/100
Old 8th September 2016, 05:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Sep 7th:

Watchers (1988)

Corey Haim and his haircut get out acted by a dog in this tale of escaped genetic research lab experiments running amok.

49/100
A Corey usually makes for a shite film.
Old 8th September 2016, 07:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oblivion

First viewing and I really enjoyed it, some competent performance with a nice visual style and interesting story, know it got a bit of a savaging from the critics as in said I enjoyed it and I will watch it again. As memtioned elsewhere it has a great sound track. 7.9/10

Now watching the much maligned star trek V, but I will say now I have a found spot for it and like it dispute its flaws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_hmOzkHlkGvi8x24fYpFSnXvjklv.jpg (60.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Oblivion-Cruise.jpg (46.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg article-0-1672D135000005DC-821_634x478.jpg (78.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg download-1.jpg (6.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 0-TmqWbVmuw47X3E2j.jpg (54.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Oblivion-3.jpg (55.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg oblivion-01_0.jpg (26.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg oblivion_movie_drone.jpg (22.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1807930.jpg (26.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th September 2016, 09:35 AM
Cult Veteran

Westworld (1973)

After a failed attempt at watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind on Sky Cinema (as it's now called), it was zoomed in from the OAR to 16:9 and the picture quality was akin to the Arrow blu-ray of City of the Living Dead I had to turn it off at 20 minutes because it was too distracting!!

I decided to watch Westworld instead which was also on my list of films I wanted to see this month. Let's get it out of the way immediately... this is the adult version of Jurassic Park, a film which Chrichton had 'moderate' success with some 20 years later!

Sloppy with your drink? Get this boy a bib!

So yes, this is a theme park gone bonkers movie and Yul Brynner steals the show completely without really saying much, apparently this performance influenced Carpenter in the way Michael Myers would appear on screen in Halloween.

The direction is adequate and that's about it, some bizarre tonal choices take you out of the scene, particularly the bar room brawl which starts out like a fight and quickly descends into slapstick not helped by the honky-tonk piano soundtrack. While some of the Medieval World scenes seem lifted directly out of a Harry Towers financed Franco movie, specifically near the end with a partly clothed android chained up and panting.

Overall, an enjoyable romp, not one of the best Sci-Fi films out there but one with an interesting plot and some great set-pieces.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 044a41438f389988b5668709b9f125c6.jpg (68.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg large_westworld_blu-ray_03.jpg (82.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg large_westworld_blu-ray_14.jpg (78.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg westworld.jpg (18.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg westworld_5.jpg (13.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg westworld1.jpg (32.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg westworldcast.jpg (92.4 KB, 1 views)

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th September 2016, 05:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Fiend Without a Face (1958)

Fiend Without a Face (1958)

Fiend Without a Face, well it just goes to show that even in jolly old England they were producing low budget trash that would equal anything Roger Corman did at the time. Like a lot of films set in the 1950’s, atomic energy was the evil danger lurking to kill everyone. Well in Winthorp, Manitoba, Canada (actually somewhere in the deepest darkest home counties of southern England) the American radar base with its Atomic powers, are having an effect on not just the locals but the poor old cows are being put off their milking by low flying aircraft. Not only this but mysterious deaths are occurring, the victims are left as if they have been scarred to death, that and the fact their brains and spinal cords are missing. Marshall Thompson as Major Jeff Cummings has been given the job of trying to solve the mystery of why people are dropping like flies, and losing there minds, literally. Of course in any of these situations your first port of call should be anybody who looks remotely like or acts like a mad kooky scientist, enter Kynaston Reeves as Professor R. E. Walgate, as mad as hatter and acts like a doddery old man but is really up to something. Its quite refreshing to see a British film that may seem like a piece of trash, but underneath the slow start and cornball acting is quite a good story of telepathy and the monsters from the Id type of creations. In fact the creatures that are summoned are some of the coolest looking creatures that have crawled there way out of the abyss, these flying brains with there tails of spinal columns are pretty darn creepy, and the effects work are primitive but highly effective for this time of Sci Fi monster mash. It does meander at the start, with lots of British actors trying to be Canadian, and one to many shots of stock footage of fighter planes etc, but once the story settles in its an entertaining film.Make a good double bill with any other film that features flying brains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fiend Without a Face 1958 2.jpg (88.8 KB, 1 views)

Old 9th September 2016, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A fun review of a film i haven't seen.

Nice one, Inspector.
Old 9th September 2016, 06:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Yeah, nice review Inspector. I really rate Fiend Without a Face too.

Piggy-backing on your comment "Its quite refreshing to see a British film that may seem like a piece of trash...", I watched The Earth Dies Screaming last night, which comes across as a trashy cheese-fest but at the same time is a fun, very enjoyable film also with a good story and some fine performances (further comments to follow).
Old 9th September 2016, 07:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, nice review Inspector. I really rate Fiend Without a Face too.

Piggy-backing on your comment "Its quite refreshing to see a British film that may seem like a piece of trash...", I watched The Earth Dies Screaming last night, which comes across as a trashy cheese-fest but at the same time is a fun, very enjoyable film also with a good story and some fine performances (further comments to follow).
SNAP!
Old 9th September 2016, 07:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
SNAP!
Great minds watch alike.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th September 2016, 07:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Great minds watch alike.
We sure do.

Like this? Share it using the links below!