All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2023, 03:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was given it with a load of others by a mate a few months ago. The others were films like City of Lost Children, Robot Jox, The Court Jester, Black Shield of Falworth and more, so Uni-Sol was comfortably the crappest.
It was one i found on Netflix and got to about the 25 min mark and gave up.

You certainly got more entertaining films on the list there
Old 30th September 2023, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cherry 2000. 1987.

When David Andrews robotic companion breaks down, he goes in search of an exact duplicate in which to install her memory chip, and continue his life. He hires Edith "E" Johnson plaued by MelanieGriffithas a tracker to find her, and together they begin their journey into "The Zone;" a danger-filled jungle of a city in which Treadwell finds the ideal replacement for his Cherry model 2000 love machine.

Although Tim Thomerson as Lester shows himself to be a serious psycho, this never gets too, too unpleasant, with director Steve De Jarnatt keeping the action moving and having fun with the offbeat little details provided by screenwriter Michael Almereyda. I havent seen this in almost over 20 years and still daft and enjoyable today as it was back then.

154937_medium.jpg
Old 30th September 2023, 08:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was given it with a load of others by a mate a few months ago. The others were films like City of Lost Children, Robot Jox, The Court Jester, Black Shield of Falworth and more, so Uni-Sol was comfortably the crappest.
The City of Lost Children is great and I quite enjoyed The Black Shield of Falworth, two films in a very long list of ones overdue a rewatch.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 30th September 2023, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Soylent Green (1973)

There was no way i was finishing my little September sci-fi fest with that Universal Soldier rubbish so opted for an old favourite but a first time on Blu-ray viewing.

Richard Fleischer's big budget take on Harry Harrison's story Make Room, Make Room is an impressively depressing film that depicts life in an over crowded New York in the year 2022.

Starring an excellent Charlton Heston as a cop investigating a series of murders in which it turns out are perpetrated in order to keep a terrifying secret. Much of the film plays out like a standard noir thriller which makes the scenes of near anarchy in the streets even more frightening and hard hitting.

Possibly the most melancholic scenes involve the great Edward G Robinson in his last film role. He's quite fantastic here as he, ironically to the rest of the film, portrays a dying man seeking out a pleasant form of suicide which in turn ties in with the secret of Soylent Green all along culminating in a truly heartbreaking final few scenes

Like this? Share it using the links below!