View Single Post
Old 29th August 2017, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Just rewatched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre courtesy of the UK's 40th anniversary blu-ray.

Is tough to know what to say about this film as it has been much discussed already. I will say that the film is said to have a rich vein of black humour but apart from the 'look what your brother did to the door' line and grandpa repeatedly dropping the hammer, I find it pretty grim and unrelenting.

Film has fabulous cinematography by Daniel Pearl. In particular, the shot where the camera moves underneath a garden swing to follow one of the girls from behind, is something really special.

I upgraded from the prior UK blu-ray and I have to say that it was well worth the upgrade. There is significantly more fine detail and very importantly, the colours are much richer.

A while back, I told my wife that I was content with my prior copy (as I felt that some film should look a little bit 'beaten up' but have since changed my mind). Film still looks a bit 'grindhouse' as it is inherently pretty darn grainy anyway.

Contraversially I watched the film in 6.1 via the 7.1 track. Thought that it sounded great, made for a great surround sound track experience. Sorry purists!

I thought that this latest release came with a new documentary but as has been pointed out to me, it doesn't. But pleasingly, all the special features now come on a second disc, allowing the disc one film more space to breath.

Final film score - 10/10. Stone cold classic. Great blu-ray too.
Yes a utter classic film if there ever was one ....

Also to me a good piece of film making is a film that can be controversial when in reality there isn't much violence or gore in the film ...