View Single Post
Old 8th October 2018, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I've frankly been a bit rubbish this month, tried my best so far and still only watched 5, but 5 films I've never seen before! I've decided to expand my themes a bit and not just watch horror films, but anything with a spooky/witchy element to it as well. Practical Magic or The Craft would be ideal if I hadn't already watched them! Any suggestions in this vein would be welcomed!

I must admit I was a little underwhelmed by The Blood on Satan's Claw when I watched it. It was entertaining and sinister but as I had recently enjoyed the audio drama version with Mark Gatiss I felt it was eclipsed by that stellar performance! Perhaps if I had viewed the film first and the audio drama second it might have been different.

Malatesta’s Carnival of Blood was also a disappointment. I've been excited to watch this for a long while. I was promised a psychedelic headf**k but in reality it was an amateur hour non-story which made no sense and it made HGL seem like a pro!

Summer of 84 is cashing in on the retro nostalgia that Stranger Things has made popular. 4 teen boys, all a bit 'outside' of the cool kids in their school try and gather evidence that the creepy loner neighbour is a serial killer. It's got a great 80's synth soundtrack by Le Matos which owes a nod or three to Carpenter, some complaints have been made that it's a bit dominating and unnecessary at time, there are 40+ cues on the soundtrack album! It's worth a watch for sure, the first 80 minutes building up the tension and nostalgia in equal measures but somehow let down in the last 20 minutes where it changes tone and becomes a different film! Available to digitally rent now, not sure if it's getting a disc release!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky