View Single Post
Old 30th June 2010, 02:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Morris View Post
For a distributor to issue a film on DVD the asking price has to be an amount that will be recoupable on sales of the DVD release. Sadly, In many cases the asking price is way too high, and the amount of copies sold low so it would be a loss making exercise.
And that is the crux of the matter. You can't expect a label to license a title at a high cost that they wouldn't be able to cover in terms of sales. I mean we are talking about niche titles after all and such titles have a small target market. There are excpetions, of course, such as the UK DVD release of Castellari's Inglorious Bastards that sold over 300,000 units I believe. But, of course, that only happened due to the publicity of the Tarantino film with a similar title.

I know that you Marc have enquired about many titles that we would love to see released but the sums just didn't add up unfortunately.

In some ways it is a shame that a greater percentage of the general population don't have an interest in cult, sleaze and cinefantastique, because then labels could justify higher licensing costs.