Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2010, 07:26 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Morris View Post
Sadly the licensor wants way too much money - I've already asked, as have numerous other companies, I'm sure.
That's a shame. I may have to pick up one of the US theatrical cut releases instead.
Old 28th June 2010, 04:21 PM
Cultist

I would love to see MICROWAVE MASSACRE and ALIEN TERROR get a Shameless release, these are certainly two titles that have long been overdue for a dvd incarnation... how about it
Old 28th June 2010, 05:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Do SHAMELESS have a list of possible releases that we might see as some of the next titles on the label?
Old 30th June 2010, 01:10 PM
Ex-member

Default Films I would love to see released by Shameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
It is kind of frustrating to hear that Marc. Whilst I don't condemn any business or individual who wishes to make the most of their assets financially, it is rather perplexing. I mean do they honestly think that someone else is going to come along at some point and pay a fortune for a title that only has a limited niche audience, with a correspondingly small anticipated sales yield?

I remember rumours of a deluxe German release a couple of years ago, but all has gone very quiet on that front.
I agree with you there.
I know of so many films that I wish would be released in the UK but no.
The brillliant French supernatural horror VIDOCQ and the excellent Spanish slasher TUNO NEGRO to name just two.
I have the French dvd of the former and the US dvd of the latter.
But I read that Tartan were supposed to release TUNO NEGRO but declined to do so, a few years ago I think.
These films are not arty farty but have an audience for horror fans in the UK.
Alas no to the distributors.
Whoever the distributors are, sometimes or most times, they will release films onto dvd which THEY think are good for them, forgetting about the horror fans.
These films have a cult following and you only have to search the net for the proof of that.
The distributors DO have the money to release these films,
I disagree otherwise.
Old 30th June 2010, 01:20 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
The distributors DO have the money to release these films, I disagree otherwise.
For a distributor to issue a film on DVD the asking price has to be an amount that will be recoupable on sales of the DVD release. Sadly, In many cases the asking price is way too high, and the amount of copies sold low so it would be a loss making exercise.
Old 30th June 2010, 02:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
For a distributor to issue a film on DVD the asking price has to be an amount that will be recoupable on sales of the DVD release. Sadly, In many cases the asking price is way too high, and the amount of copies sold low so it would be a loss making exercise.
And that is the crux of the matter. You can't expect a label to license a title at a high cost that they wouldn't be able to cover in terms of sales. I mean we are talking about niche titles after all and such titles have a small target market. There are excpetions, of course, such as the UK DVD release of Castellari's Inglorious Bastards that sold over 300,000 units I believe. But, of course, that only happened due to the publicity of the Tarantino film with a similar title.

I know that you Marc have enquired about many titles that we would love to see released but the sums just didn't add up unfortunately.

In some ways it is a shame that a greater percentage of the general population don't have an interest in cult, sleaze and cinefantastique, because then labels could justify higher licensing costs.
Old 30th June 2010, 02:37 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
And then you have the fact that even if you could set a decent price the retailers simply won't accept it and expect a small company putting niche films out to match the terms of a big studio.
Old 5th July 2010, 06:14 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Vicious circle....

But,hey!
I watched RINGS OF FEAR last night and the transfer was a bit shoddy to say the least!
Good film though.Not a patch on Daughters or Solange,but good old Testi was on the ball as usual.

Rings and Solange would make cracking Shameless releases!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th July 2010, 09:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

How about some of these?
http://io9.com/5579048/the-15-lamest...yline=true&s=i
Old 6th July 2010, 12:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Like this? Share it using the links below!