Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   The Jackie Chan Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/1667-jackie-chan-thread.html)

antmumford 29th September 2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 105466)
I really enjoyed this, I've got a H.K. Blu Ray.

A word of warning, the BBFC have cut the U.K. edition.

On the 10th it was cut by 2 seconds for a horsefall but it looks like it was resubmitted 2 days ago and it's uncut.

Title « British Board of Film Classification

Inspector Tanzi 29th September 2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 105485)
On the 10th it was cut by 2 seconds for a horsefall but it looks like it was resubmitted 2 days ago and it's uncut.

Title « British Board of Film Classification

Strange:confused:

When I saw the H.K. DVD I thought to myself "This will be cut", when the enemy arrive on horses Jackie pulls a rope which trips up a horse, pretty blatant.

Mahoney32 30th September 2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjarbar (Post 105330)
I totally agree, it's so good to see JC in this sort of movie as it should show the US that he can act and not be the sort of comic relief sidekick that he seems to be put in or if he does have the main roll it's usually done tounge in cheek.

I also absolutly loved Forbidden Kingdom and the fight sceen with Jet Li, well put together and showed off both of their skills.

Can anyone tell me if he did a film set in Spain called Wheels on Meals or something like that, I remember a good fight sceen in a castle type setting where he used a chair and table to great effect. I remember the fight but not the rest of the movie!

I thought that semi-sunken ship from the start of the movie, was CGI, but I later discovered in the extra features, that it was real! I didn't expect that huge ship to be really there, but it was. A real deserted ship. A filmmakers dream, with no expense spared. What a find, location wise. Just thought I'd mention that. This just sprang to mind now, and thought I'd post it...

Splatterdragon73 3rd October 2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 105407)
Yep and the fight scene was against Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez, a true classic fight.

A full contact clash too i believe or at least some of it is!

It's also alleged there was some supposed offscreen tension between Urquidez and Chan while shooting the blistering battle in question.

Check out the swelling on the former's face later in the fight. All real apparently!:)

mjarbar 3rd October 2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 106196)
A full contact clash too i believe or at least some of it is!

It's also alleged there was some supposed offscreen tension between Urquidez and Chan while shooting the blistering battle in question.

Check out the swelling on the former's face later in the fight. All real apparently!:)

I'm going to have a look for this on Amazon, had a look around HMV today and my local has amalgamated the martial arts, manga, and world cinema sections all into one creating a real mish mash that you have to look through!

All they had Chan wise was My Lucky Stars, Drunken Master and Armor of God II! Looks like they have scalled down the horror section as well.

mjarbar 5th November 2010 11:48 AM

Ledgend of the Drunken Master

I haven't heard of this before so when I sat down to watch it I thought it was going to be just a remake of the Drunken Master.

Oh Boy was I wrong - this film has just gone into my top 5 JC films!!!

The final fight sceen in the foundery has to be one of the best I have seen in a long time. The guys feet moved so fast I'm still trying to work out how.

Great film:woot::clap::woot:

DeadAlive 5th November 2010 12:25 PM

Legend of The Drunken Master is Dimension film's dubbed and slightly edited version of Drunken Master 2. It is easily Jackie Chan's best martial arts films with some great action set pieces. It also features a fantastic funny performance by Anita Mui as his step mother.

drees5761 5th November 2010 12:47 PM

Its criminal that there is no decent version of this on dvd or Blu ray. The Dimension release is cut and dubbed with a new score. The R3 release in Hong Kong has the original soundtrack but no Subtitles but it has the original English dub with original music! Check out my JC site for details.. Amazingly this has never been released in the UK on dvd.

antmumford 5th November 2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drees5761 (Post 111204)
Its criminal that there is no decent version of this on dvd or Blu ray. The Dimension release is cut and dubbed with a new score. The R3 release in Hong Kong has the original soundtrack but no Subtitles but it has the original English dub with original music! Check out my JC site for details.. Amazingly this has never been released in the UK on dvd.

Quality wise, the Blu-ray release from America or Canada (can't remember which) looks fantastic and the film is without a doubt the best Jackie Chan film. It's surprisingly never had a UK release which is such a shame. I only had the uncut Chinese version on VHS which had shambolic picture quality so to get it in HD was fantastic (even though it was the International cut) and was the best purchase I made this year.

mjarbar 7th November 2010 04:09 PM

Drunken Master 2

It isn't criminal - it's totally insane!!!:eek:

I'm surprised that with company's like Arrow and Shamless bringing out cult and forgotten films in the horror genre there aren't any company's doing the same for the martial arts scene!

With JC's rep in the mainstream people will have heard of him and may be interested to learn that he has made films far better than Rush Hour and as good as Forbidden Kingdom there should be a wide market to tap into.

Oh well let the hunt begin for a copy and add it to the rapidly growing list of films I want to get hold of.:doh: