Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   What action film have you watched/bought recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/2077-what-action-film-have-you-watched-bought-recently.html)

Peter Neal 13th January 2010 04:43 PM

As I've become a HUGE Michael C. Hall fan, I liked it very much- suited the over-the-top style of the whole piece.:cool:
I almost rooted for the bad guy in the final duel- thanks to "Dex".:laugh::pop2:

Vendaval Este 14th January 2010 08:26 AM

Saw Daybreakers last night if that fits into action, very good little movie.

Philleh 14th January 2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 57566)
As I've become a HUGE Michael C. Hall fan, I liked it very much- suited the over-the-top style of the whole piece.:cool:
I almost rooted for the bad guy in the final duel- thanks to "Dex".:laugh::pop2:

I'm a big fan of David Fisher, sorry, Dexter Morgan... Nay, Michael C. Hall too! The man is great, but doesn't do enough theatrical work! The man needs to be in more movies!

Was also won over by Gamer (not so much a fan of Crank, but enjoyed Pathology), and Mike's Bruce Lee inspired theatrics in the finale were great! :thumb:

Peter Neal 14th January 2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 57658)
I'm a big fan of David Fisher, sorry, Dexter Morgan... Nay, Michael C. Hall too! The man is great, but doesn't do enough theatrical work! The man needs to be in more movies!

Totally agree there! And I was beginning to think over the course of the last 1 1/2 decades that there wouldn't be any fresh faces/actors in mainstream fare out there to get excited about! Let's hope we'll see a lot more of him in movies indeed.:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philleh (Post 57658)
Was also won over by Gamer (not so much a fan of Crank, but enjoyed Pathology), and Mike's Bruce Lee inspired theatrics in the finale were great! :thumb:

That was a surprising blast.:rockon:

On another note:

What's happening recently or are they actually starting to make GOOD action movies again (Western filmmakers, that is:laugh:)?

After The "Crank" films and "Gamer", I stumbled over "The Tournament", which is so much fun, it got 3 (!) different "18" rated versions in the German language territory- all cut to a varying degree:rolleyes:
One butchered for sellthrough and the "FSK" rating, one slightly less censored for rental, which can be legally advertised over there in public AND the Austrian/Swiss version, which mysteriously lost a scene in which a dog gets shot....:dizzy:

DeadAlive 14th January 2010 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm systematically going through the Jackie Chan Police Story films at the moment. Tonight saw a return visit to Police Story 2. This has the usual mix of crazy stunts and bone crunching fight scenes with some big explosions to round it off. The playground fight is one of my all time favs from Jackie and his stunt team.

pedromonkey 14th January 2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 57677)

After The "Crank" films and "Gamer", I stumbled over "The Tournament", which is so much fun, it got 3 (!) different "18" rated versions in the German language territory- all cut to a varying degree:rolleyes:
One butchered for sellthrough and the "FSK" rating, one slightly less censored for rental, which can be legally advertised over there in public AND the Austrian/Swiss version, which mysteriously lost a scene in which a dog gets shot....:dizzy:

where did you find the tournament. i've been following the progress of this film for ages. is it out on dvd yet?

Peter Neal 15th January 2010 02:55 PM

Yes, in varying cut versions in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and uncut (but barebones) over here in Scandinavia.:cool:

Gigantor 17th January 2010 08:46 AM

COMMANDO Directors Cut:happy:

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th January 2010 08:21 PM

You're a funny guy Gigantor,that's why i'm going to kill you last. :tongue1:

Gigantor 18th January 2010 05:56 AM

Twin blades of death

Pigasus 19th January 2010 01:53 PM

Most recent action films I've seen (on DVD) are Whiteout (slick, mediocre crime thriller), and Surrogates (I quite liked this sci-fi effort... good contrast between bionic Bruce and 'meat-bag' Willis).

For a good fantasy-actioner, I recommend Russian adventure Wolfhound From The Family Of Grey Dogs. Its hero is like Conan meets Lancelot.

42ndStreetFreak 19th January 2010 05:48 PM

"A Dangerous Man".

Nice one Stevie!
Stevie the Seagull flaps his chubby wings extra hard and manages to halt his career plummet (yet again) after the unwatchable lows of "Kill Switch".
This is well paced, well directed, wonderfully brutal (wince like a wincy thing at the meaty, crunchy, 'rod in the back of the neck death) and entertaining stuff that effectively juggles many different groups of characters, from Seagal's delightfully cliche 'ex Special Forces' (of course!!) troubled hero to Russian mobsters (Seagal's current fetish), Chinese criminal gangs, corrupt Police and the Chinese military.

The dialogue is also a gem of multifaceted delights. Made better by Seagal's obvious unwillingness to see trash dialogue AS trash dialogue.
Highlights are (in a wonderfully unhinged moment for his character) Seagal's pronouncement to a would-be mugger that he's going to "**** you up ugly", his remark to the lead bad guy "Where I come from, we say death is emptiness. In that case, I've been dead for many years" and a stunningly delightful line from a Russian mobster to the corrupt Police Captain, "Where I come from we **** Cops in the mouth when we've run out of farm animals"!
Genius!

Seagal is thankfully not doubled except for a couple of 'throwing the bad guy across the room' stunts and his ultra-fast punches, blocks and thudding kicks still manage to impress despite his extra bulk (though again, he looks better than he has done).
the gunplay is not as blood drenched or in your face as that of "Renegade Justice" and tthe support characters do more of it...but again it's effective and violent enough.

Trashy, cheesy, nasty, fast paced, no-nonsense funstuffs!
Now try to keep the quality constant Stevie!

pedromonkey 19th January 2010 09:17 PM

just watched Truck Turner, that was a fun film. Issac Hayes is pretty badass in it too. he gets into a gun fight every 5mins or so.

Gigantor 20th January 2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 58421)
"A Dangerous Man".

Nice one Stevie!
Stevie the Seagull flaps his chubby wings extra hard and manages to halt his career plummet (yet again) after the unwatchable lows of "Kill Switch".
This is well paced, well directed, wonderfully brutal (wince like a wincy thing at the meaty, crunchy, 'rod in the back of the neck death) and entertaining stuff that effectively juggles many different groups of characters, from Seagal's delightfully cliche 'ex Special Forces' (of course!!) troubled hero to Russian mobsters (Seagal's current fetish), Chinese criminal gangs, corrupt Police and the Chinese military.

The dialogue is also a gem of multifaceted delights. Made better by Seagal's obvious unwillingness to see trash dialogue AS trash dialogue.
Highlights are (in a wonderfully unhinged moment for his character) Seagal's pronouncement to a would-be mugger that he's going to "**** you up ugly", his remark to the lead bad guy "Where I come from, we say death is emptiness. In that case, I've been dead for many years" and a stunningly delightful line from a Russian mobster to the corrupt Police Captain, "Where I come from we **** Cops in the mouth when we've run out of farm animals"!
Genius!

Seagal is thankfully not doubled except for a couple of 'throwing the bad guy across the room' stunts and his ultra-fast punches, blocks and thudding kicks still manage to impress despite his extra bulk (though again, he looks better than he has done).
the gunplay is not as blood drenched or in your face as that of "Renegade Justice" and tthe support characters do more of it...but again it's effective and violent enough.

Trashy, cheesy, nasty, fast paced, no-nonsense funstuffs!
Now try to keep the quality constant Stevie!

ha I have a copy of this DVD in my to watch pile.as well as his last movie:suspicious:

DeadAlive 20th January 2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 58455)
just watched Truck Turner, that was a fun film. Issac Hayes is pretty badass in it too. he gets into a gun fight every 5mins or so.

I remember seeing that one at the cinema. Great fun. Must remember to add to my (massive) rental list to see again.

42ndStreetFreak 20th January 2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 58455)

Loads of fun, yeah. And Nichelle Nichols is a ****ing joy!!

pedromonkey 20th January 2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 58491)
Loads of fun, yeah. And Nichelle Nichols is a ****ing joy!!

yeah it was weird seeing her calling people mother****ers when i spent my childhood watching her be all prim and proper on star trek.

Gigantor 21st January 2010 12:47 PM

Watched SMOKIN' ACES 2today:happy:

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st January 2010 04:54 PM

Watched a couple of Van Damme "classics" the last couple of days,Sudden Death (or Die Hard at a hockey match) and Double Team with Dennis Rodman.SD features the most ridiculous death involving a helicopter I've ever seen but at least none of them were as bad as Legionnaire or Derailed.And it shows just how observant I am,it was only a couple of years ago that I noticed Van Damme had giant lump on his forehead! :eek:

42ndStreetFreak 31st January 2010 11:30 AM

"The Keeper"

Stevie the Seagul joins up with the same director as "A Dangerous Man" but to lesser effect.
Not that this is a bad film..just not as good.

Some nice and messy gunshot hits, quite a lot of action and smattering of martial arts (mostly just punches and blocks and much arm bending).
But the pace is a bit off, the story less than gripping and Seagal's very bad stand-in for the back of his head (WHY??), during conversations, is very distracting.
The ending has some good sniper rifle violence, but is otherwise a bit low key.

But...a fun enough, violent, romp with people worshipping Seagal so much, you have to wonder if he had a hand in the screenplay.
When (after recovering from being shot) a female fellow police officer states "You survived something that would have killed most men, you're an inspiration to everyone who wants to join the force" and when he has the young woman he's protecting going all drippy and moist over him... you have to wonder if Stevie Seagul flapped through the open window of the deserted script conference room and quickly added a little bit of self-love to the script when no one was watching.

The UK DVD synopsis is a cock-up though. This film actually set in Mexico/Texas is, according to the DVD blurb, set in post-Communist Romania! It also gets all the character's names and occupations wrong.

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st January 2010 12:00 PM

So how much dubbing of the Seagulls voice does this one have? It's getting to be the man's trademark now.I'd feel cheated if there wasn't any.

Schramm 31st January 2010 04:38 PM

Just watched Die Hard 4.0

Silly Silly Silly.

pedromonkey 31st January 2010 04:42 PM

The harder cut of Die Hard 4.0 is much better than the theatrical cut, it re-instates alot of McClane's swearing and gives it more of a bie hard feel, for me i didn't see it as a Die hard film until the tunnel part where Willis starts talking to himself. Yes it's a silly film but it's fun.

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st January 2010 05:50 PM

While the unrated version of Live Free or Die Hard (DH 4.0) Is a little better than the theatrical version,it's far from perfect.While some of the harsher language was filmed such as the kill all these motherf*****s line outside Warlocks house,some of the swearing is dubbed in just to make you think you're getting more.Sticking some CGI blood in the unrated version was pathetic IMO and using a crappier line in place of the classic "I was outta bullets" one at the tunnel was a mistake.

Schramm 31st January 2010 08:36 PM

Yeah it was far too OTT for my liking, even for a DH movie. The suspension of disbelief was so strong it just became impossible to swallow. I've heard a lot about the different cuts but to be honest I want a little more for my buck than a few harsh words. A decent Die Hard movie ideally.
That said however, ofcourse i'd watch it given the chance.

Personally I think 3 (Vengeance) is the best. Irons is pretty good. Just a shame they didn't just stick to chasing after the bombs. Once they break in to the banks it starts to all get a bit 'oh, for christ's sakes'.
Closely followed by the original then Die Harder... and then 4.0.

Give me a decent Schwarzenegger flick any day of the week though.
'Get To Da Chopper'

42ndStreetFreak 31st January 2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 60648)
So how much dubbing of the Seagulls voice does this one have? It's getting to be the man's trademark now.I'd feel cheated if there wasn't any.

Didn't notice any.

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st January 2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 60718)
Didn't notice any.

Awwwww I'm quite disappointed now :( :lol:

42ndStreetFreak 1st February 2010 09:03 PM

"Smokin' Aces 2: Assassin's Ball"

Ball? Balls more like!
Despite snobby critics bad mouthing the original film, it was in fact a wonderfully cast, wonderfully played, superbly made, fast paced, extremely well plotted balls-out action fest.
It managed to deliver a dense, clever, satisfying plot whilst also managing to keep up a constant barrage of high tech action and thrills.

This sequel though manages none of that.

Running 20 vital minutes shorter than the first film this stinking donkey dropping of a movie takes no less than 50, basically action free, minutes to set up a bunch of only marginally interesting characters before placing them all in a couple of rooms for the last 30 minutes so they can shoot at each other (and dodge awful CGI explosions) for no plot propulsion purpose at all.

But actually even that's wrong. As really only about 20 minutes of that last 30 is action, the rest is made up of two scenes (one in the middle of what is supposed to be the big action finale!!) where a couple of the characters rapidly mumble supposed plot explanations to each other as the screenwriters try to make up for having almost no plot whatsoever for the first hour.

I mean it. Almost all the final 10 minutes of what is supposed to be an action film is nothing but, nothing at all but, a rambling stream of plot exposition and incomprehensible twist explanations (that crassly and crudely tries to shoehorn in real life political/terrorist events) that lead up to a complete non-event of an ending.

Plusses? There are two wonderfully gory head destruction scenes and you have to love the exploding clowns. But all that adds up to about 1 minute of screen time.

"Smokin' Aces 2" is witless, stupid, badly made, often looks cheap, has Christ awful pacing, has an outstandingly badly delivered and truly pitiful plot (that only exists just before the film ends) and manages to do everything wrong that the first film did so damn right.

Avoid this turd, even if you liked the first film.
Watch the exploding clowns on YouTube and save your money!

Gigantor 2nd February 2010 03:17 PM

The first movie is GREAT FUN.I found the second movie is definitely the weaker film but far from being a turd I must say.

Pigasus 4th February 2010 03:01 PM

Dennis Law's Fatal Move is a better-than-average Hong Kong thriller, with the great Sammo Hung as a triad 'big bro' boss having more trouble with gangland betrayals than from the cops. Among the swordfights (with plenty of CGI blood splatter, okay?) and many gunbattles/ police-raid shoot-outs, one victim of a vengeance killing gets far more bullet-holes in him than Bonnie & Clyde put together.
:coolblue:

Gigantor 4th February 2010 03:18 PM

Killers from beijing

DeadAlive 4th February 2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigasus (Post 61497)
Dennis Law's Fatal Move is a better-than-average Hong Kong thriller, with the great Sammo Hung as a triad 'big bro' boss having more trouble with gangland betrayals than from the cops. Among the swordfights (with plenty of CGI blood splatter, okay?) and many gunbattles/ police-raid shoot-outs, one victim of a vengeance killing gets far more bullet-holes in him than Bonnie & Clyde put together.
:coolblue:

I'm a huge Sammo Hung fan and Fatal Move is a kick ass triad film but the CGI blood really grates on me in this film. So much so even now I'm finding it hard to put pen to paper and give this film a fair review. A few more watches and maybe I'll get there.

Splatterdragon73 7th February 2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigasus (Post 61497)
Dennis Law's Fatal Move is a better-than-average Hong Kong thriller.:coolblue:

You're right there and i grabbed a copy yesterday for £7 from HMV.

On another note, apart from DVD Compare's information can anybody else here confirm the recent U.K. DVD re-release of Tango & Cash is fully uncut and includes the trailer? It is and it does according to the above website but further reassurance from a fellow member would be appreciated.:)

Pigasus 7th February 2010 11:36 AM

Caught up with Ridley Scott's terrorism-drama Body Of Lies, yesterday, and found it rather dull viewing, lacking much visual style (the director's usual trademark flourishes were notably absent), narrative suspense or energy. What went wrong here? (Was Scott just working off some debts?)

I will give it another try, but not impressed with this, at all... so glad I bought it in a £3 sale.
:(:ohwell:

pedromonkey 7th February 2010 07:08 PM

i got so bored by body of lies that i stopped it 20 mins before the end because i wasn't bothered by the out come. Scott's got this thing about making very long slow moving films, the last decent ridley film i remember was Black Hawk Down.
Tony Scott on the other hand is the complete opposite, fast moving but with more style over substance although his Pelham 123 was fantastic.

Gigantor 10th February 2010 03:14 AM

Im going through LONG ARM OF THE ARM series

Pigasus 10th February 2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 61961)
..last decent ridley film i remember was Black Hawk Down.
Tony Scott on the other hand is the complete opposite, fast moving but with more style over substance

Yes, though it's odd how it used to be the other way round, that Ridley was a more interesting filmmaker... But Tony's directing skills have improved a lot since the late 1990s. Spy Game was superb, I thought, and even Domino had its moments, IMHO,

I thought it was amusing that the Scott brothers appeared to be competing with each other to get the best performance from Denzel Washington...
And, if Ridley's American Gangster had better acting, I do think Tony's remake of Man On Fire was a more enjoyable film, overall.

It's also very interesting (to me, anyway, as a fan of SF cinema) that Tony's done movies like DEJA VU, while Ridley has steered clear of sci-fi projects since Blade Runner... Which is a great shame, as that's obviously his greatest work and it'd be a real shame if Ridley never made another SF film.

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th February 2010 08:35 AM

Watched Best Of The Best 2 last night.A much better movie that BOTB 1.Some great fight scenes and really benifited from The R-rating as opposed to part 1's PG-13 rating.The dvd is actually the unrated version featuring a few seconds removed by the MPAA.:thumb: Got to love that dvd cover too.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

Splatterdragon73 14th February 2010 10:52 AM

Now that Tango & Cash has recently been reissued reportedly uncut on U.K. DVD i would like to think that some of Warner's previous action titles may also sooner or later benefit from a re-release hopefully with the trailers this time around.

I'm talking about the likes of vintage Steven Seagal output, The Last Boy Scout, Passenger 57 and Eraser.:)

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th February 2010 01:45 PM

I watched Passenger 57 and The Last Boy Scout not too long ago.LBS serously needs a new remastered dvd and blu-ray release,the quality of the dvd is shocking.