Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   What action film have you watched/bought recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/2077-what-action-film-have-you-watched-bought-recently.html)

Gigantor 18th February 2010 05:04 AM

Next day air

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th February 2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 63315)
Next day air

I had actually never heard of it.Any good?

Vampix 19th February 2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 62908)
Now that Tango & Cash has recently been reissued reportedly uncut on U.K. DVD i would like to think that some of Warner's previous action titles may also sooner or later benefit from a re-release hopefully with the trailers this time around.

I was thinking about buying the re-issue DVD of Tango and Cash, is it definitely uncut then?

vincenzo 19th February 2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 63473)
I was thinking about buying the re-issue DVD of Tango and Cash, is it definitely uncut then?

This can be a confusing one because there were several 15-rated DVDs doing the rounds including the cut cinema print and an even more edited pre-cut version. The only DVD that was completely uncut was the WB snapper case release with a 100 min running time listed on the back (actually running 99 mins 30 secs). This was the same print as the uncut 18-rated video.

The last BBFC submission (last year) indicates the same print as the cut cinema version.

Vampix 19th February 2010 10:41 PM

Hmm, until I can get confirmation on the uncut status of Tango and Cash I guess I'll just have to buy the uncut Sly Stallone action classic Cliffhanger instead.Apparently there's even a longer, more violent version of that film than the R-rated theatrical cut which was previously cut by the BBFC for a 15 rating.Whether it'll ever see the light of day though is anyone's guess.

vincenzo 19th February 2010 10:46 PM

You're safe with Cliffhanger. The Optimum DVD definitely restores the BBFC cuts. Better extras than the previous Momentum release too. :nod:

I've heard about the US unrated version too but it doesn't seem to have ever surfaced. Possibly never will either though we'll have to see.

Pigasus 20th February 2010 05:49 AM

Saw that Russian sci-fi effort, The Interceptor, which is obviously influenced by Matrix stunts & bullet-time CGI. Sadly, this is disapointingly bland when it should have retained some quirks of Russian culture & characters.

Splatterdragon73 21st February 2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 62924)
LBS serously needs a new remastered dvd and blu-ray release,the quality of the dvd is shocking.

I agree and it's high time this enjoyable Bruce Willis actioner was given a long overdue makeover. Definitely one of the actor's better efforts imo.:)

Splatterdragon73 21st February 2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 63543)
The only TAC DVD that was completely uncut was the WB snapper case release with a 100 min running time listed on the back (actually running 99 mins 30 secs). This was the same print as the uncut 18-rated video.

I'm certain this latest keep case reissue of TAC states a running time of 100 minutes on the back of the box so i'm hoping this version is complete. No mention of the trailer though.

No matter, i'm keeping my old non-anamorphic clip case R1 release for the time being until i've got concrete confirmation this new U.K. DVD is intact.:)

vincenzo 21st February 2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 63804)
I'm certain this latest keep case reissue of TAC states a running time of 100 minutes on the back of the box so i'm hoping this version is complete.

The last BBFC submission (last year) was 15-rated and the cut print, though it was for an online release.

If the running time is 99 mins and over then it's the full version.

Gigantor 21st February 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 63354)
I had actually never heard of it.Any good?

For a Modern Action(Action comedy) film its all right.

buggenhagen 22nd February 2010 07:16 AM

I watched Death Wish 3 the other night. Was the first time I'd seen the third installment (love the first two) and what a riot. The last 20 minutes are a blast - although the whole film does have a weird touch of Police Squad or something about it...

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggenhagen (Post 63973)
I watched Death Wish 3 the other night.The last 20 minutes are a blast - although the whole film does have a weird touch of Police Squad or something about it...

:lol: That's a good comaprison,especially with a scene like the teeth getting stuck in the plank of wood!

vincenzo 22nd February 2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggenhagen (Post 63973)
I watched Death Wish 3 the other night. Was the first time I'd seen the third installment (love the first two) and what a riot.

Most of it was filmed in Lambeth and Brixton. http://www.gashing.com/smile/fighting/fighting0010.gif

buggenhagen 22nd February 2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 63993)
:lol: That's a good comaprison,especially with a scene like the teeth getting stuck in the plank of wood!

Absolutely! The bit that really got me was when Bronson and the police chief knelt down in the middle of the road for cover - hilarious.

The fact that it was filmed in London adds to the weirdness of the whole thing - it just looks odd, and never really feels like NYC, despite throwing a couple of yellow cabs into the shots...

Arrrrrrrach 22nd February 2010 03:01 PM

The Ong Bak prequel. very spiffing!

pedromonkey 22nd February 2010 03:21 PM

gonna watch ong bak: the beginning tonight....

Arrrrrrrach 22nd February 2010 04:28 PM

Completely badass, as should be expected!

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2010 08:52 PM

Watched Lethal Weapon last night.It's amazing to watch the progression of the series through the 4 films as the emphasis moved from thriller to action comedy and gibson's mullet got shorter.He obviously still has his australian accent in this one and is trying trying to put on an american one and for the most part he succeeds (it's nowhere near as bad as Sam Worthingtons accent in Terminator Salvation).It's also fun to watch the goofs in the movie (the handcuffs during the jumper scene,the photo's of Riggs and his wife that switch places,the yellow stickers on the prop guns,Gibson glancing at the ground to see his mark in the sniper scene from the director's cut and many more).

I really hope to god they never go ahead with LW5.I know Gibson has said he didn't want to do it but with the success of the of Rocky Balboa and Rambo and also Edge Of darkness,he could easily change his mind.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd February 2010 08:59 PM

Lethal Weapon is class.

Watched WHO DARES WINS the other night,couldn't help myself....can't wait to see it in HD.
There's a commentary on the SE isn't there?

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 64107)
Lethal Weapon is class.

Watched WHO DARES WINS the other night,couldn't help myself....can't wait to see it in HD.
There's a commentary on the SE isn't there?

There is indeed Reaps.Commentary by Director Ian Sharp and Producer Euan Lloyd.

pedromonkey 22nd February 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 64103)
Watched Lethal Weapon last night.It's amazing to watch the progression of the series through the 4 films as the emphasis moved from thriller to action comedy and gibson's mullet got shorter.He obviously still has his australian accent in this one and is trying trying to put on an american one and for the most part he succeeds (it's nowhere near as bad as Sam Worthingtons accent in Terminator Salvation).It's also fun to watch the goofs in the movie (the handcuffs during the jumper scene,the photo's of Riggs and his wife that switch places,the yellow stickers on the prop guns,Gibson glancing at the ground to see his mark in the sniper scene from the director's cut and many more).

I really hope to god they never go ahead with LW5.I know Gibson has said he didn't want to do it but with the success of the of Rocky Balboa and Rambo and also Edge Of darkness,he could easily change his mind.

i don't think you need to worry about LW5, stevoj, Gibson has stated that he doesn't want to do another, and Richard Donner is apparently not interested and Danny Glover IS too old for this shit! (see what i did there), Gibson has also gone on record saying that would be involved in the new MAD MAX film but only in a behind the scenes position.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2010 09:32 PM

Thank god.I believe Gibson didn't want to do part 4 either and was begged to do it by Glover,so I'm not surprised he wouldn't want to do number 5.

Gigantor 23rd February 2010 04:36 AM

Dolans cadillac

pedromonkey 23rd February 2010 04:28 PM

isn't dolans cadilac a stephen king film, with christian slater, i was unaware it was an action film.

last night i watched For A Few Dollars More, enjoyable and you can see Leone picking up his visual greatness, but i still prefer A Fistful Of Dollars..

42ndStreetFreak 23rd February 2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 64205)

last night i watched For A Few Dollars More, enjoyable and you can see Leone picking up his visual greatness, but i still prefer A Fistful Of Dollars..

Yikes! Really?

I think "For a Few Dollars More" leaves "Fistful" in the sandy dirt.
Far more epic, far better character, far more entertaining and incident filled with some truly great sequences and even a better score.
Plus...a damn fine Lee Van Cleef turn and Gian Maria Volante allowed to go all out to become one of the finest Spag Western villains ever.

I have to say (great 'did you insult my horse' scene and music aside) I find "Fistful" rather dull and bland.
Although I also find "Yojimbo" rather dull for the same reasons as far as plot goes, so I guess the fault lies there as "Fistful" is an almost scene for scene remake.
I actually think (and this has similar faults even then) "Last Man Standing" is the most enjoyable of all these versions.

vincenzo 23rd February 2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 64206)
I think "For a Few Dollars More" leaves "Fistful" in the sandy dirt.
Far more epic, far better character, far more entertaining and incident filled with some truly great sequences and even a better score.

Fully agree. I prefer FAFDM, and Morricone's score is one of his finest ever. La Resi Dei Conti (60 Seconds To What/Goodbye Colonel) for me is the greatest piece of music he ever composed next to the Once Upon A Time In The West theme.

pedromonkey 23rd February 2010 05:13 PM

this was the first time i'd ever seen FAFDM, so i guess i'll learn to love it, and Lee Van Cleef was good and Gian Maria Volonte, was fantastic. while watching it did notice that Van Cleef didn't age between this and Escape from new york.

vincenzo 23rd February 2010 09:48 PM

Hard to believe he was only 5 years older than Eastwood. Even harder to believe that he's been gone 21 years now and at such a young age (64). :(

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2010 11:34 AM

A couple of little video clips filmed by yours truly,from December '08 when I was down near dudley,setting up a factory with my other co-workers.There's nothing like a group of drunk scotsmen at midnight discussing the "tic-tic" of the watch in For A few Dollars more and mixing it up with the The Good The Bad And The Ugly lol.Good times :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8D5VFgVvQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZcZnbfX4EU

Arrrrrrrach 24th February 2010 01:56 PM

That was pretty funny.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2010 03:11 PM

I had to end up carrying the guy attempting to whistle/hum the theme (or whatever he was trying) to his hotel room when he fell UP the stairs and after falling over a few chairs :lol:

Arrrrrrrach 24th February 2010 03:24 PM

Haha. Falling up the stairs is always a good sign!

DeadAlive 24th February 2010 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ong Bak 2: The Beginning - It's easy to see why this has had mixed reviews. The story is uneven and a lot is left in the air and not just because of the sudden "cliffhanger" ending. But I'll be honest here. I don't watch Tony Ja films to be engrossed in the plot. I watch for the full on action and this film has plenty on show. Violent and brutal, this ends up like it is just setting you up for "Ong Bak 3". But you know what? Bring it on, I say. :nod:

pedromonkey 27th February 2010 02:02 PM

watched Blood and Bone, last night starring Michael Jai White, i actually thought it was a well written and excellently choreographed film.

Michael Jai White is able to show off his range of martial arts skills, giving him a good platform to use everything from kick boxing, MMA, kung fu, etc...The only thing i found that let the movie down was some of it's direction, Ben Ramsey is an allright director but some of the shots still looked amaturish.

The film does have appearances from world class MMA fighter like the Huge Bob Sapp and Internet king Kimbo slice...

This is a film that is worth checking out, it beats the hell out of anything Seagal has made within the last 10 years.

pedromonkey 28th February 2010 04:38 PM

just watched a film called Ninja, starring brit Scott Adkins, Pretty cool film with some awesome fight scenes. Im gonna watch Ninja Assassin tonight, bring on the ninjas....

Gigantor 2nd March 2010 04:08 AM

yah theres a nice little wave of new Ninja Flicks coming out recently:happy:

pedromonkey 2nd March 2010 10:10 PM

watched the Glickenhaus/Shapiro film Mcbain today, starring christopher Walken and Maria Conchita Alonso, my verdict, Utter Bum, it was crap, there are action films that are so bad there good but this was just bad. Theres a scene where mr. Walken fires a single pistol shot through the window of a plane hitting the pilot of a jet fighetr in the head killing him, while they're in the air, rediculous. avoid at all costs stick the Exterminator for your Glickenhaus/Shapiro fix.....

42ndStreetFreak 2nd March 2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 65376)
watched the Glickenhaus/Shapiro film Mcbain today, starring christopher Walken and Maria Conchita Alonso, my verdict, Utter Bum, it was crap, there are action films that are so bad there good but this was just bad. Theres a scene where mr. Walken fires a single pistol shot through the window of a plane hitting the pilot of a jet fighetr in the head killing him, while they're in the air, rediculous. avoid at all costs stick the Exterminator for your Glickenhaus/Shapiro fix.....

Yep, It's a stinker. And it takes great skill to make an utterly crap action film with a cast like this.
Saw it years ago on a rental VHS thinking it can't fail with these guys in it....Hooooo. :ohwell:

pedromonkey 3rd March 2010 12:30 AM

not even Michael Ironside was able to save this, he can pretty much make anything watchable, im just glad i only paid 99p for bloody thing.