Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   What Shaw Brothers films do you have? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/2672-what-shaw-brothers-films-do-you-have.html)

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanyang Man (Post 81084)
From memory, of the 760 titles that HK company Celestial Pictures own there's only about 500 odd out of the package that they made available to licence out for home video release to distributors like IVL, Scorpio East etc.

If I've got it right IVL released 582, I've got 517 at the moment and if I haven't messed it up and am missing some i have 65 still to get on my wants list.

Gigantor 25th May 2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanyang Man (Post 81086)
Yep! Although the Shaw Studios get gushed about by (predominantly kungfu) fanboys all over the internet, since the library finally started to see legitimate release on DVD commencing December '02, like any major studio they definitely harboured their fare share of turkeys -- and there's some of those selfsame kungfu "classics" that line up as prime examples.

Indeed, a lot of their late period productions from the eighties, before they folded their theatrical wing circa '85, were pretty dire (the late eighties through mid-nineties productions don't really count, as the majority of what ended up released on DVD were actually films from Mona Fong's Cosmopolitan Films company re-branded with the Shaw Brothers logo as "genuine" Shaw titles -- they weren't, but as Fong was Sir Run Run's business partner and spouse, her company's productions appear to have reverted ownership to Shaw once it, too, folded). Titles like Godfather from Canton and Carry On Doctors and Nurses are low-tier B-flicks that seem more like program fillers, as well as dated relics, when viewed from a contemporary standpoint.

I enjoyed a lot of the non-genre stuff from the sixties (ie: the operas, dramas, weepies, musicals etc.), but I readily admit that few of those really hold up for modern viewers unless you're really a diehard nostalgia buff or harbour a strong interest in HK cinema history of the era.

I absolutely love te SB s Kung Fu stuff but I find most of their really fun stuff is outside the Kung Fu genre.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 05:53 PM

Have you seen SONS OF GOOD EARTH or MOODS OF LOVE?

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:01 PM

I have MOODS OF LOVE but haven't watched it yet

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 81330)
I have MOODS OF LOVE but haven't watched it yet

It's two stories, the first one is so so but the second one is fantastic, all I'll say is poor Chen Ping, she does go through a lot in some Shaw productions;)

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:29 PM

I seen that film not giving away any spoilers away as it happens in the beginning but the second story is where she stabs the madam in the street several times yes?Decent film but I wanted a more brutal death for the lady.

Inspector Tanzi 25th May 2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 81346)
I seen that film not giving away any spilers away as it happens in the beginning but the second story is where she stabs the madam in the street several times yes?Decent film but I wanted a more brutal death for the lady.

Sure is, I really felt for Chen Ping though.

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 81351)
Sure is, I really felt for Chen Ping though.

Yes thats why i was hoping for more of a punishing brutal death for the old Madam.Yeah this film was alright some of the multi story releases from SB are a little all over .

42ndStreetFreak 25th May 2010 06:51 PM

I have these on VHS/DVD-R

"The Killer" (not Chow!)
"Chinese Boxer"
"Shanghai 13"
"The Assassin"
"One-Armed Swordsman"
"Deadly Duo"

And these on DVD:

"Return One-Armed Swordsman"
"New One-Armed Swordsman"
"The Water Margin"
"All Men Are Brothers"
"Eight Diagram Pole Fighter"
"Five Elemental Ninja"
"Golden Swallow"
"Heroes Two"
"Heroic Ones"
"The Magic Blade"
"Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan"
"Vengeance!"
"Bamboo House of Dolls"
"Killer Snakes"

Gigantor 25th May 2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 81359)
I have these on VHS/DVD-R
"The Killer" (not Chow!)
"Chinese Boxer"
"Shanghai 13"
"The Assassin"
"One-Armed Swordsman"
"Deadly Duo"

And these on DVD:

"Return One-Armed Swordsman"
"New One-Armed Swordsman"
"The Water Margin"
"All Men Are Brothers"