Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - Terror At The Opera (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/2241-arrow-video-terror-opera.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th February 2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 62787)
Arrow is rapidly climbing up that cult-label-reputation ladder,ain't they?:cool:

Too true,With stuff like Dawn Of The Dead,Day Of The Dead and the forthcoming spectacular,City Of The Living Dead,Arrow are breathing new life into these films and giving fans some truly collectible releases.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 13th February 2010 11:13 AM

You said it! I can't think of many (if any) other DVD companies that have all of these special features and immense packaging! Arrow have blown Blue Underground out of the water IMO.

What with Shameless' releases, especially the simply jawdropping tin Bronx boxset and Arrow Video's recent releases they are ruling the world of DVDs!

Splatterdragon73 13th February 2010 11:41 AM

This new TATO release certainly sounds collectable due to the inclusion of both cuts of the film so my pre-order went in yesterday.
I'm still keeping the worthy ABUS DVD for the featurette but Arrow's edition with another ravishing Rick sleeve design and it's own exclusive extras is undeniably another essential purchase.:)

42ndStreetFreak 13th February 2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 62847)
This new TATO release certainly sounds collectable due to the inclusion of both cuts of the film so my pre-order went in yesterday.

Other cut? Do you mean in Italian not English or another edit?
I've not heard of another edit of the film.

Splatterdragon73 13th February 2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 62854)
Other cut? Do you mean in Italian not English or another edit?
I've not heard of another edit of the film.

According to Almar's earlier post there's a 102 minute version (in English and Italian) and an American 91 minute edit with an English soundtrack. I'm assuming the longer cut is entitled Opera and the shorter version is known as Terror At The Opera. Hope this helps.:)

42ndStreetFreak 13th February 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 62856)
According to Almar's earlier post there's a 102 minute version (in English and Italian) and an American 91 minute edit with an English soundtrack. I'm assuming the longer cut is entitled Opera and the shorter version is known as Terror At The Opera. Hope this helps.:)

Oh right. Thanks.
I thought the differences were just censor edits, but that seems a big difference in running times.
Oh well, i have the old 'AB' 2 disc with the soundtrack CD.

Splatterdragon73 13th February 2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 62860)
Oh well, i have the old 'AB' 2 disc with the soundtrack CD.

So have i and it's still a formidable edition but i do enjoy Argento's last good slice of the giallo pie (i think so anyway!) so i'm also investing in Arrow's revamped reissue of TATO.:)

truckturner 16th February 2010 10:31 PM

Shameless is becoming as good as blue underground. :)

nekromantik 17th February 2010 07:13 AM

I not heard too many good things about Opera, so am not so sure if I buy it.
Even though I still got no money ha ha. Gettin COTLD and DOTD and zombieland (my 3 blu zombie buys :p ) so money will be gone.

Philleh 17th February 2010 11:15 AM

Opera is definately a worthwhile purchase mate, it's one of Argento's most voilent flicks! He really goes to town on his cast in this one! :thumb:

Pete 17th February 2010 11:18 AM

[SPOILER]Daria Nicolodi's [/SPOILER] death scene is amazing!

Sarah@Cult Labs 17th February 2010 12:47 PM

This is one of the Argento films I have never seen so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Glad to hear it's worth seeing!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th February 2010 07:12 PM

I'm sure you'll be very impressed Sarah.
A bit OTT at points,but it adds to the film's non-stop pace!

Zombie Dude 14th March 2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 63203)
This is one of the Argento films I have never seen so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Glad to hear it's worth seeing!

Same. It's just never really appealed to me apart from the famous eye scene. I've heard good things about it and this release is really tempting. I might just have to give in and see it.

42ndStreetFreak 14th March 2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Dude (Post 66952)
Same. It's just never really appealed to me apart from the famous eye scene. I've heard good things about it and this release is really tempting. I might just have to give in and see it.

It's a bit bloated and sadly suffers form a rare thing until later Argento films...a genuienly bad English dub at times And seeing as only one (I think) support character speaks English (unlike almost all his other films) an Italian track would be preferable.

But otherwise I like it a lot.
Sme great set-pieces and music, good gore, lost of grand flair.
And I for one like the very end also...some don't.

Although it is perhaps the weakest ending as far as spectacle goes in an Argento film and a plot device that leads up to it stretches credibility.

Zombie Dude 14th March 2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 66958)
It's a bit bloated and sadly suffers form a rare thing until later Argento films...a genuienly bad English dub at times And seeing as only one (I think) support character speaks English (unlike almost all his other films) an Italian track would be preferable.

But otherwise I like it a lot.
Sme great set-pieces and music, good gore, lost of grand flair.
And I for one like the very end also...some don't.

Although it is perhaps the weakest ending as far as spectacle goes in an Argento film and a plot device that leads up to it stretches credibility.

I think I'm used to bad dubs on foreign films so that's not too big a deal.

As far as Argento films go, it can't be as bad as Mother of Tears.

42ndStreetFreak 14th March 2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Dude (Post 66961)
I think I'm used to bad dubs on foreign films so that's not too big a deal.

As far as Argento films go, it can't be as bad as Mother of Tears.

Yeah...But Argento films have always had some very good dubs I think. Mind you it's much better than the (Sydow aside) CHRIST awful English dub on "Sleepless" which almost killed the film.

And no no...This is a whole different era of Argento and a whole different class.
Be not afeared on that count. This is thankfully no "Mother".

Zombie Dude 14th March 2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 66963)
Yeah...But Argento films have always had some very good dubs I think. Mind you it's much better than the (Sydow aside) CHRIST awful English dub on "Sleepless" which almost killed the film.

And no no...This is a whole different era of Argento and a whole different class.
Be not afeared on that count. This is thankfully no "Mother".

See the dub on Sleepless didn't bother me. I still got right into the movie.

That's good to know. God I couldn't believe the shit I was watching on screen was coming from Argento. What a waste of time that was.

Almar@Cult Labs 14th March 2010 10:33 AM

Opera really delivers in terms of brilliant technical set pieces - it's the last of his big efforts as far as I'm concerned.

Zombie Dude 14th March 2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 66983)
Opera really delivers in terms of brilliant technical set pieces - it's the last of his big efforts as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I remember seeing a bit of the scene where the camera spirals down with the feather. What a great piece of camera work that was. It was just so captivating.

Splatterdragon73 14th March 2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 66983)

I couldn't agree more and Argento's career has never been the same since Opera imo.:nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th March 2010 01:09 PM

Has anyone here seen the shorter U.S. edit of Opera before? I'm thinking of giving that version a spin first as I've seen the longer version numerous times.

42ndStreetFreak 14th March 2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 66996)
I couldn't agree more and Argento's career has never been the same since Opera imo.:nod:

Yeah, perfectly put.
:(

Philleh 14th March 2010 03:34 PM

Got my copy of this at last nights GFT event, looking forward to chucking it on later!! :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 05:28 PM

Cracking package AGAIN.:nod:
Well worth upgrading.:nod:
What cover you got on Phill?

Pete 16th March 2010 05:42 PM

I also picked up a copy on saturday.

I look forward to revisiting the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 05:43 PM

I had a quick peek last night-cracking transfer!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 05:44 PM

And the Argento trailer reel is a thing of much greatness!:nod:

Philleh 16th March 2010 05:57 PM

I have Rick's artwork matey! I already have the Italian and Anchor Bay US (single) disc. Plus I have the original artwork in the living room :)

Almar@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 67369)
And the Argento trailer reel is a thing of much greatness!:nod:

Huge nod to Marc Morris for all his work on making that so cool.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 07:19 PM

Just noticed that.18 trailers! As Barney would say.....super-dee-duper!

Almar@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 07:27 PM

Plus Marc spent an age re-building and tidying them up so they're primo quality!

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th March 2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 67399)
Plus Marc spent an age re-building and tidying them up so they're primo quality!

Excellent.A lot of trailers (especially older ones) on dvds are in pretty bad shape so it's great to know that even trailers,which some people don't care one way or the other if they are included or not (not me btw),are spruced up for our viewing pleasure. :clap:

nekromantik 16th March 2010 08:07 PM

I hope I win this in the comp ha ha

Philleh 17th March 2010 11:09 AM

So, I checked the trailers out last night and uh... Four Flies was looking mega, mega nice... how about it guys? ha :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th March 2010 11:14 AM

Yeah,having all those trailers was a nice surprise and that was my first thought about Four Flies too.

Philleh 17th March 2010 11:18 AM

Marc has certainly worked his backside off on that one!

Hopefully it was for more than just the trailer! :biggrin:

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th March 2010 06:03 PM

I have to say,thank god they re-dubbed Urbano Barberini on the english launguage version after Cannes.The voice just didn't suit his character at all.It would have been more appropriate for an episode of Inspector Morse or Midsomer Murders,set in the english countryside,drinking tea with his pinky raised.:lol:

springjack 19th March 2010 09:32 PM

Any reviews???

Zombie Dude 20th March 2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springjack (Post 68092)
Any reviews???

Is it even released yet?