Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - Inferno - The Archive (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/2404-arrow-video-inferno-archive.html)

vincenzo 20th February 2010 06:35 PM

Arrow Video - Inferno - The Archive

Scheduled for release by Arrow in June, as listed at Play and Amazon.

Mojo 20th February 2010 06:41 PM

Spotted this yesterday and was wondering who was releasing it! Fantastic news - one of my favourite Argento flicks. Any more details?... :cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 06:26 AM

Another Argento goody!
Excellent news indeed!

DeadAlive 21st February 2010 07:29 AM

Totally uncut?

Splatterdragon73 21st February 2010 09:42 AM

I'd like to think so but the animal scenes may possibly still go by way of the censors scissors.

Even if this release suffers slight snips i'll still pick a copy up if it improves upon the U.S. DVD in terms of extras.
One of Argento's better efforts imo and one for the collection anyway.

Looking forward to seeing Rick's artwork for Inferno too!:)

Almar@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 12:00 PM

Yes indeed Inferno has now been picked up - I'd take the release date with a pinch of salt for now until more details are confirmed.

Since 1999 I've been badgering UK labels to pick up what is probably my favourite Argento - I think it's an incredible tour de force - so well done to Arrow for finally sorting out what was quite a complicated film to secure.

nekromantik 21st February 2010 12:14 PM

Goody!!
Hopefully its uncut. Then il own 2 of the 3 mothers trilogy altho Suspiria is on blu and this will be DVD.

EMcG 21st February 2010 01:08 PM

So not chance whatsoever of a Blu-Ray?

spooks 21st February 2010 01:16 PM

Wow, this is good news. One of Argento's best and certainly been needing a uk dvd release for a long time. Well done arrow and cult labs! :clap:

spooks 21st February 2010 01:18 PM

All we need now is arrow to release 4 flies.... :nod: but i guess not much chance of that.

DeadAlive 21st February 2010 02:14 PM

I do have a few holes in My Argento collection. I'm holding back on Suspiria on Blu (Coz I haven't got the player yet.:suspicious:) and Inferno is another that I haven't upgraded from VHS yet. I'll be getting it anyway from Arrow, but uncut would be the cherry on top.

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 03:51 PM

How the hell did I miss this news? The Arrow Argento collection is coming along nicely........Luvly jubbly.

Angel 21st February 2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 63826)
This has become a matter of some discussion. I have a feeling it will pass uncut this time but we'll just have to see. Close call.

Yes it's a very close call though I need to re watch the uncut version again as I haven't seen it for a while. I seem to remember the cat cruelty looking faked. Has Argento ever spoken about this sequence? The way the cat was being carried looked more cruel. There have been some recent examples of animal cruelty cuts being waived eg Bad Boy Bubby, The Silent Flute, Extreme Prejudice, The Antichrist etc but these films all contain just a single previously cut sequence, in Inferno there are 2.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I genuinely liked this film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 05:36 PM

Inferno is one of my favourite Argento's so this is great news indeed! :happy:

Rob Strange 21st February 2010 05:36 PM

Blimey. Didn't expect this at all. Great film.

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 06:41 PM

*searches the internet for any news of a release of Profondo Rosso* .........:(

vincenzo 21st February 2010 06:48 PM

Profondo could definitely do with a better UK release (my 2nd favourite Argento after Suspiria). The English (shorter) print on the Platinum 2-on-1 is uncut though released without BBFC approval. The longer (and better IMO) Italian print is the cut one. The cut in the latter is extremely badly edited.

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 06:51 PM

I've never seen the shorter print but you're right,the film deserves a better release than the one on the shelves of Poundland.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 63904)
Profondo could definitely do with a better UK release (my 2nd favourite Argento after Suspiria). The English (shorter) print on the Platinum 2-on-1 is uncut though released without BBFC approval. The longer (and better IMO) Italian print is the cut one. The cut in the latter is extremely badly edited.

Yeah I have that release Vince and couldn't agree more; the editing is pretty atrocious. :ack:

Arrrrrrrach 21st February 2010 08:50 PM

Godammit, I just received the region 1 of this!! Heheh nice work Arrow.

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st February 2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrrrrrrach (Post 63930)
Godammit, I just received the region 1 of this!! Heheh nice work Arrow.

That always seems to happen.You wait and wait,then give in and buy something and as soon as you do,another edition is announced. :eek:

Arrrrrrrach 21st February 2010 09:00 PM

Init just! I was holding off for a while, thinking Arrow might release it! Let's see what happens now that I've also ordered the R1 Zombie! (don't even tell me if you have news!:lol:)

vincenzo 21st February 2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 63914)
Yeah I have that release Vince and couldn't agree more; the editing is pretty atrocious. :ack:

Yes Platinum's editors needed a kick up the backside, as the cut shot was painfully obvious. The old Redemption video (which additionally removed the brief scene of the two dogs playfighting) was edited far better.

Gojirosan 22nd February 2010 01:18 AM

Exceptional news! I can't see the BBFC maintaining the cuts now, but they have surprised me before!

There's no justification for cutting the cat on mouse "nature footage" and the cat to chair bit is quite clearly not a real moggie!

Whatever, even if the BBFC succumb to absurdity (as they have a history of doing...:lol: ), well done to Arrow for getting out a UK DVD of this bizarrely neglected film!

Angel 22nd February 2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 63900)
Profondo Rosso should pass intact today if resubmitted.

Why do you think it would pass uncut now, Vince?

vincenzo 22nd February 2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 63972)
Why do you think it would pass uncut now, Vince?

Just a feeling I have. The shot itself is very brief and some previous (though non-graphic or prolonged) previously cut cruelty footage has been waived of late. If they were prepared to pass Pink Flamingos intact (far nastier scene) then I can't see the cut to Profondo being retained.

The cat/chair scene in Inferno was an additional video cut. I'll rewatch this again to see how it could possibly fare today.

Angel 22nd February 2010 11:34 AM

From what I remember about the cat/chair scene is that the cats head hitting the chair is shown in an extreme close up shot, the shot lasts about several frames. You would need to freeze frame the shot and perhaps zoom in to really determine whether that was a real cat or not. It's certainly possible that it was faked. I think the cat/mouse scene has more chance of being cut. Will rewatch the uncut version again to have another look.

vincenzo 22nd February 2010 12:21 PM

Looking at the screencaps I still think this will have problems though I could be wrong. Very much a fringe one.

mr. brightside 22nd February 2010 06:29 PM

Great news! Hopefully, we'll get some nice extras. This would look wonderful on Blu? Any chance of a Blu-ray release?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd February 2010 06:58 PM

That Arrow collection is soon gonna be up to the same numbers as Shameless.
Side by side on a shelf,what could look cooler?

Mojo 22nd February 2010 07:02 PM

I hope the BBFC see sense and leave this one alone. It would ruin ( and stop people buying ) a cracking piece of Argento magic. C'mon Angel and vincenzo - put them right on this one ;)

springjack 22nd February 2010 08:20 PM

Don´t know if it´s too soon to ask...

Will Arrow use the American or the Italian print?

The Italian print has more clarity comparing to the American one but has more picture information on all sides and I think is the most beautiful of the two.

vincenzo 22nd February 2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 64075)
C'mon Angel and vincenzo - put them right on this one ;)

We'll throw cats at them until they acquiesce. :biggrin:

Gruesometwosome 22nd February 2010 11:47 PM

Man I am so chuffed that arrow is releasing this, I mean blue underground is phenomenal and most my dvds are bought from there but when it comes down to arrow nothing tops it, amazing artwork/posters/special features/reversible cover arts, looks like ill be snatching this right up.

My view on the film?

First hour is absolute gold, then it slowly descends into a poop storm.:chainsaw:

Angel 23rd February 2010 12:18 PM

The uncut Inferno is on its way to me.

Brad Stevens in The Darkside also says the cat used in that sequence wasn't real.

vincenzo 23rd February 2010 12:31 PM

I watched the previously cut scenes this morning and I agree with Brad. The closeup looks like a dummy cat to me too.

I'm still undecided as to whether the cat/mouse scene would still be cut. As much as I disapprove of animal cruelty in films I would pass the scene.

Angel 23rd February 2010 05:04 PM

Do you think the cat/chair scene would pass now, Vince, having watched it again? The BBFC passed the scene at first (cinema) but then cut it later (video).

I'm sure they will examine the scene very carefully today.

The only reason they would have cut the cat/mouse scene before is if they believed it had been orchestrated by the film crew. Difficult to say what their decision will be today. We will just have to wait and see.

Sarah@Cult Labs 23rd February 2010 06:17 PM

I heard Arrow had picked up the rights to this a while back and I've been excruciatingly excited ever since. I've never seen it. Tried to get hold of it ages ago but it was OOT and then I just kinda gave up so I really can't wait for this!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd February 2010 07:09 PM

Happy days Sarah!
How many Argento numbers is that you've to be introduced to?:)

vincenzo 23rd February 2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 64212)
Do you think the cat/chair scene would pass now, Vince, having watched it again? The BBFC passed the scene at first (cinema) but then cut it later (video).

I'm sure they will examine the scene very carefully today.

I'm absolutely 50-50 about this and really can't make up my mind either way about it, even after watching it again. Borderline. :ohwell:

I can't say I like the cat/chair scene but that's more because of the way the animal is carried than the impact shot itself (which looks too rigid to be a real cat thankfully).