Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2010, 07:29 PM
Cultist in Training

Judging by those screenshots, the Camera Obscura release is easily superior in terms of picture quality. Arrow's attention to packaging and their efforts to compile new and exclusive bonus features is much appreciated, but ultimately the picture and sound are most important when it comes to a Blu-ray release. I think it should be noted that excessive noise reduction does not result in a better image; far from it. Grain = film. It's been said to death, but if you remove grain, you remove detail. Several years ago, a smooth and artificial Blu-ray may have been considered ideal, but now people are aware that grain is integral to film and should be maintained.
Old 13th October 2010, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

But dallywhitty, putting aside the debates over grain, is it really appropriate to be attacking Arrow on their own forum with a rival release? We should be judging the release on its own merits, not in competition with CO as they have invited.

Returning to the issue of grain, I'm sorry but the grain = film argument has not been won by any means - you don't believe me then check out the Predator Ultimate edition threads - there's still quite a few who support excessive DNR use. Quite a few people hated the Ghostbusters blu because it was loaded with grain.
Old 13th October 2010, 07:58 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
But dallywhitty, putting aside the debates over grain, is it really appropriate to be attacking Arrow on their own forum with a rival release? We should be judging the release on its own merits, not in competition with CO as they have invited.
I was under the impression that I was offering constructive criticism. I had no intention of "attacking" Arrow. Even on its own merits, though, I think their release of Inferno looks rather soft.

Quote:
Returning to the issue of grain, I'm sorry but the grain = film argument has not been won by any means - you don't believe me then check out the Predator Ultimate edition threads - there's still quite a few who support excessive DNR use. Quite a few people hated the Ghostbusters blu because it was loaded with grain.
I know, and I think it's a shame. But I think it's important that companies target true film fans as opposed to butchering their releases to appeal to those with the wrong understanding of HD. Not that I think Arrow have butchered Inferno - that was in reference to the Ultimate Edition of Predator.
Old 13th October 2010, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I was under the impression that I was offering constructive criticism. I had no intention of "attacking" Arrow. Even on its own merits, though, I think their release of Inferno looks rather soft.
I was not directing this at you specifically dallywhitty - when words like "travesty" are banded about, it becomes hyperbole to the extent that it is no longer constructive. And I think that it is unfair given Arrow's efforts.

With blu - well, as I have stated, I find the grain v dnr arguments so nauseating that there is a danger we forget the beauty of the format. I'm a "don't care kind of guy as long as there are no serious screw ups" - apart from Predator, one screw-up for me would be the blu of Public Enemies where Christian Bale pursues the Baby Face Nelson character later on in the film - there's a couple of minutes of badly worn vhs quality. Totally unacceptable for blu.
Old 13th October 2010, 08:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Let's keep in consideration that the Cinema Obscura Blu-ray hasn't been released yet and the final verdict on that one is still out. One shot is hardly indicative of the transfer, and considering they've got help from the cinematographer Romano Albani, I'm not sure if the outcome will be that better. If they are doing color correction NOW (30 years later), does that mean the original version wasn't finished? What the extent of the tampering will be we'll have to await, but so far I'm pretty content with the Arrow version.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:02 PM
Ex-member

As for the color timing.....the CO release looks the same as Arrow's seeing as it was taken from the master (supervised by Romano Albani) Fox used for the Italian DVD from '07 as we all know the colors are not as amped as on the 10yr old AB DVD...CO claiming they have a unique print is utter tosh-both the Arrow & CO came from the same print supervised by Albani...if they want grain?...go for it....on my "50 HD set up the Arrow print looks superb!
And as I've said before CO officials posting up screen comparisons on German forums is downright sleazy & underhand...I for one would never support a company who freely use such tactics
Old 14th October 2010, 06:12 AM
Ex-member

As still images go, the CO shots win hands down. Beyond that we cannot fairly compare the two since we only have one to view in motion. Arrow have not explained why theirs was zoomed in. That is unacceptable. It should be recalled and fixed. There's simply no logical reason for it. Unless you're covering up damage to the film elements on the frame edges instead of restoring them.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:03 AM
Cult Rookie

I was a little disappointed with the picture quality of Inferno. Not all of it but the occassional shot (in the basement, for instance).

Its just not as good as I was expecting after reading all the hype on this forum before I handed over my cash.

Spend it wisely Arrow.

Sound quality is wicked though...which helps
Old 14th October 2010, 11:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockatansky View Post
I was a little disappointed with the picture quality of Inferno. Not all of it but the occassional shot (in the basement, for instance).

Its just not as good as I was expecting after reading all the hype on this forum before I handed over my cash.

Spend it wisely Arrow.

Sound quality is wicked though...which helps
There were scenes where the image didn't look so great. Still enjoyed it though.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:28 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Well, I did not buy Inferno on Blu - I bought it on dvd, and let's just say I was very happy with what I saw. It was a superb package and I must give props to Arrow on this - I love the care they took with this and I look forward to buying future releases.

I could have bought it on Blu - I might still do so one day, but as it was a film I expect to watch many times over I thought the dvd was more sensible as I can watch it pretty much anywhere, but with blu you have to watch it on a special set-up and I cannot watch as often.

Nika, your vitriol towards Arrow's presentation inspired me to register and post. I've seen the Arrow blu screencaps and the competitor's - judging by those, one cannot credibly call Arrow's transfer a "travesty" as you have. Most critics actually disagree with you, and before you argue that I have not seen the Arrow blu, I would also argue that you have not seen the Camera Obscura blu either. You've made your point that you don't like the Arrow blu - there's no need to keep bashing people over the head with it and you've gone well beyond constructive criticism. If all blu is going to do is attract arguments between the grain perfectionistas vs the DNR defenders, then it makes you wonder why blu even exists as a format if people cannot appreciate it; at least with SD, we did not have these arguments.

I also have to say I don't admire CO's tactics -it's bad enough that they take an elitist approach to selling their product by using select outlets, but to then brag that their release is better - well, it lacks class. You would not catch Arrow doing that to Blue Underground or vice versa, nor would you see other labels like Criterion doing that to MoC or BFI. To me, it does not matter who has the better sound or image - I go with the labels I trust because I don't want to shell out my hard earned dosh on labels I dont.

I buy Arrow because they care about their product and they have integrity.
Thank you! I donĀ“t think i have to respond to the others!
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!