Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - A Bay of Blood - The BD and DVD Specs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/3839-arrow-video-bay-blood-bd-dvd-specs.html)

pedromonkey 27th March 2011 12:20 PM

i still have to watch this as it's sitting on my shelf just waiting..

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th March 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 138907)
i still have to watch this as it's sitting on my shelf just waiting..

Actually, I haven't seen it since I wrote my review so it doesn't need another airing. The question is: should I watch it in English or Italian?

bdc 27th March 2011 01:07 PM

I think you should watch both versions! :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th March 2011 02:23 PM

If I have an evening with about three hours free, I'll probably do just that!

Peter Neal 25th May 2011 08:40 PM

I watched the first disc of my Arrow SE DVD and am still a bit undecided whether I prefer the pq in this or the AWE DVD- both being great releases of this personal fave of mine in any case.:pop2:
Looking forward to giving the Italian version a go in the near future.:)

Prince_Vajda 25th May 2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 138934)
If I have an evening with about three hours free, I'll probably do just that!

I am so used to the English version that I'll always stick with it. :tongue1:
Besides: the dubbing of A Bay of Blood is really good, if you ask me.

Greetings!

Daemonia 26th May 2011 12:57 AM

I've got the BD of this and I have to say it's the best I've ever seen it look. Some of the scenes positively pop in the HD sense. I'm very happy, this one's a keeper.

I can't see me ever upgrading from this. I've suffered through so many poor quality copies over the years that an HD makeover like this, really make you see that you're witnessing a genius at work.

Prince_Vajda 26th May 2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 153065)
I've got the BD of this and I have to say it's the best I've ever seen it look. Some of the scenes positively pop in the HD sense. I'm very happy, this one's a keeper.

I can't see me ever upgrading from this. I've suffered through so many poor quality copies over the years that an HD makeover like this, really make you see that you're witnessing a genius at work.

I agree. I remember some people carping about cold, muted colours. As I also own the R1 US Anchor Bay DVD release from 2007, I compared the two versions. It is true that the Anchor Bay disc has warmer colours and an overall visual style that perfectly suits Mario Bava's colourful and gory slasher whodunnit. However, I decided to fool around with my remote control and - voilĂ* le hic. Some slight changes and you get warm yet natural colours. That's why we have the possibility to change our TV settings. :nod: So it's not worth complaining about, if you ask me. :cool:

But to be blunt: the HD transfer is really outstanding. Considering the age of the movie, it's a fantastic Arrow release of my favourite horror film. :rockon:

Greetings!

Daemonia 26th May 2011 12:54 PM

I'm not saying Arrow's release is perfect, but it's definitely the best I've seen it so far. It also troubles me that no release has decent audio. The music is often distorted, dialogue goes from a whisper to deafeningly loud. It's all over the place. Visually, I think the film looks fine on the BD, but the audio really needs some work. But this is not specific to Arrow, all releases on DVD that I have seen have had terrible audio quality. So I'm guessing it's like that on the original materials.