• 1 Post By longtom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2011, 09:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Bird with the Crystal Plumage – The Film Debate

Where does this stand amongst Argento's greatest films? Can you see why it kickstarted the new series of gialli after the ones made by Mario Bava?
Old 1st April 2011, 10:51 PM
Ex-member

What is the point in numerous threads about a film when we can't discuss the number one point of interest which is the stupid decision regarding the aspect ratio.

I'm not surprised that after all the cancelled orders and discussion of the BU release that the thread was closed but to delete the posts too smacks of bias .
Nonsense to say you'll reopen the thread once its out .
Don't recall that being the case with previous Arrow titles but then the comments on those were not 100% negative.

Not sure they'll be much discussion once its out either.
Anyone who knows about the ratio change simply won't buy it.

The forum should stay open so that Arrow can see the level of disappointment and the volume of sales they are going to lose.

I know this subject should not be in this section of the forum but if you want it in the right place reopen the relevant section.

Censorship of the worst kind
robertzombie likes this.
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:35 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Firstly, Nos has created a thread especially and solely to discuss the technical issues:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/bird...-speaking.html

As he states, this is closed until the discs surface, and you can't really discuss the technical merits of something unless you've seen it - so when reviews are up this one will be opened for discussion.

Secondly, no posts have been deleted, the original thread has been preserved and archived for all to see:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/bird...sation-19.html

As for the discussion of the Blue Underground release, this is fine (I own it myself and it is a fantastic release), but this discussion did not belong in the Arrow section of the forum, so please see: http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blu-...-debate-6.html if you want to discuss and compare Blu-Ray releases.

The reason for more threads is so people who are interested in discussing the art or tech specs or the actual film can do so, as different aspects will interest different people.

As to your comment: "Anyone who knows about the ratio change simply won't buy it" is a bit far-fetched, if you read through the above thread certain members have already voiced an interest in getting it (whether it be for the extras, the packaging, for part of their Arrow collection, because they do want the film, or a combination of those things).

I'll be picking it up myself.

So, no worldwide conspiracy; no censorship; no 'back-door shenanigans'

This is all I'm going to say on the matter, so if we could please only use this thread for discussing the film.
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well said B.E..

Yes,the film itself.
Not my favourite Argento by any means,but it's a neat little thriller.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 2nd April 2011, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's actually been quite a while since I last saw this but, knowing how it ended, was surprised at just how well constructed the film was with plenty of red herrings, great camerawork and startling visuals en route to the terrific ending. I don't think it's up there with the likes of Suspiria, Tenebrae or even Phenomena, but it is a remarkable debut by a top-quality filmmaker.
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:05 PM
Cult Rookie

Fantastic film in every way. The character's are more interesting than those found in Dario's later films, and I just love the way he presents Italy without ever going for the tourist traps.

It also looks brilliant and has a real classy feel to it and makes Dario's post Inferno work look cheap and janky in comparison. And yes, the cropping will destroy much of that. Dario worked best in this wide format (Deep Red, Suspiria, Bird) and I think Inferno as much as I love it could have benefitted by being in the same aspect ratio as this.
Old 5th October 2011, 05:15 PM
Ex-member

Default The Bird with the Crystal Plumage – The Film Debate

out of the 'Animal trilogy' TBWTCP is the best imo and one of Argento's best films
Old 5th October 2011, 06:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
out of the 'Animal trilogy' TBWTCP is the best imo and one of Argento's best films
Agreed on both counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th October 2011, 06:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Whilst I agree it is one of his best films, I do slightly prefer Four Flies to Bird.
Old 6th October 2011, 06:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I rate Four Flies quite highly now (it's a grower) and while there are aspects of it which I prefer to Bird (Morricone's score especially) I don't think the later film works on as many levels. Bird is a classic and one of my top three favourite gialli period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!