Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2011, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolahrock View Post
Couldn't resist a quick peek before the first full viewing tomorrow night. Early days but my initial impression is this could well be the best looking Argento Blu Ray so far.
The best Argento blu-ray so far is the French edition of Tenebre but this release of Phenomena comes in a close second....
Old 16th March 2011, 09:47 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
The best Argento blu-ray so far is the French edition of Tenebre but this release of Phenomena comes in a close second....

Good point. Didn't include that one in my thoughts as the un-moveable French subs annoy me, not that they have anything to do with the picture quality of course, which is very good. Certainly looking forward to what Arrow achieve with Tenebrae.

Looking forward to giving Phenomena a proper watch tomorrow.
Old 18th March 2011, 11:56 AM
Cultist in Training

I'm watching it right now, and I must say I'm quite impressed. Certain close-ups look fantastic on my Sony. Blacks are much better here than in Inferno. I certainly think this is the best Phenomena has ever looked! Even the 2.0 channel audio sounds great on my Yamaha. I toggled between the English & Italian and the English sounds noticeably stronger. I'll check out the extras later tonight.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

This months issue of Total Film was quite harsh! The review doesn't seem to be online yet, but I imagine it will be soon. They gave both the film and the extras 2 stars. It's a little hard to take someone who genuinely doesn't like Phenomena seriously .
Old 19th March 2011, 12:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
This months issue of Total Film was quite harsh! The review doesn't seem to be online yet, but I imagine it will be soon. They gave both the film and the extras 2 stars. It's a little hard to take someone who genuinely doesn't like Phenomena seriously .
That's if they watched it. Remember the same mag reviewed Deep Red and Demons before screener discs were available for the former and before the latter has even been close to being pressed!
Old 19th March 2011, 01:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
That's if they watched it. Remember the same mag reviewed Deep Red and Demons before screener discs were available for the former and before the latter has even been close to being pressed!

I wouldn't be too critical of Total Film, they do tend to give Arrow releases good reviews. Phenomena is not exactly the greatest film in the world.

Good or bad review, the mags 50,000 or so readership now know there is an excellent dvd available through Arrow, no matter what one reviewer may think.
Old 19th March 2011, 01:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Was flicking through the free paper THE METRO on the tram the other day. Turned to the reviews and entertainment and their cult choice was Arrow's Phenomena .. gave it a very promising 4/5 .... nice.

Old 19th March 2011, 01:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I wouldn't be too critical of Total Film
I'm not. I added a news story to their new issue. I was just being critical of a review

I've now read the review and I actually think its a solid one. Its written by Jamie Russell who I do not know (and thus have no reason to say this) but I think he wrote a very very good book in his FAB Press tome Book of the Dead (don't have it? Buy it with full recommendation ). So he is a fan of the genre and he doesn't actually criticise the extras at all - so I'm hoping the two stars were just a typo

Either way, Phenomena does seem to be a film that splits opinion!

Last edited by Calum; 19th March 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 21st March 2011, 08:32 PM
Cult Rookie

A somewhat less-than great review on the land of whimsy site (I can't post a link as I've made less than 15 posts).

Think I'm going to be skipping this one.
Old 21st March 2011, 08:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'll keep my opinions about Land of Whimsy to myself but, if you want to read the review, follow the link below.

http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives...ons-phenomena/

Like this? Share it using the links below!