Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2011, 01:12 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzombie20 View Post
Right but what I'm saying is, what if the sepia tone in the beginning was a technical error and at the time, it wasn't cost effective to change it to black and white? You have to remember, this was a low budget feature and if there was a mistake made - the producers or whoever was in charge, may not have sought it fit to fix it due to money costs. Who knows right???
Well, it's now been confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
Sergio Salvati -the DP- said the Sepia was intentional. I have the quote from him in my The Beyond comic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K. View Post
It's in the back of the comic book adaption of The Beyond that was put out by Blackest Heart around 2000 or so.
Old 21st February 2011, 01:27 AM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to evilzombie20

Well, now we have a confirmation from the DP - now all we need to do is hear from Arrow on the reasoning behind the change.
Old 21st February 2011, 05:38 AM
Cult Rookie

Plot thickens! A hard read, but it looks as though there were many different avenues tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T at avmaniacs [url
http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47492&p=872550&viewfull=1#post872 550[/url]

Last edited by junyab; 21st February 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 21st February 2011, 05:39 AM
Cult Rookie

oopsy
Old 21st February 2011, 06:14 AM
Active Cultist

If the B&W was how it was always supposed to be then I would say the Arrow Release will be the ultimate release of this classic
Old 21st February 2011, 06:36 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T. at avmaniacs www .avmaniacs. com/forums/showthread.php?t=47492&p=872559&viewfull=1#post872 559
Another triumph was the stylised opening lynch-mob sequence set in 1927, a combination of Lentini’s masterful period costumes and sets, Di Rossi’s painfully realistic makeup special effects, and Salvati’s striking cinematography. “Initially the prologue was to have been shot in black and white to simplify the whole operation,” recalls Salvati. “But then I opted for the soft yellow, almost golden filter which blended in with the torches and flashes of light and was reflected in the clothes worn by the inquisitors and the burnt lime on Schweik’s face. What I was trying to recreate was the effect of an old, yellowed photograph, something outside of time, putting a gap between the present day story and the prologue as if they were two separate films, divided by an infinite arc of time, a long bridge, like the one that Liza takes to meet Emily. I discarded the usual sepia – the colour of memories – since there are no relationships between the characters based on memory. Instead, THE BEYOND is a horror that lies outside time and space”.
So what he had done wasn't actually "sepia" like we are calling it, but it is definitely supposed to be the "yellowish" color that is on all the recent releases.

Last edited by junyab; 21st February 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:47 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Its obviously a mistake on screening copies. There's no way a company as prestigious as Arrow would release such an abomination on the public after all their fantastic releases this past year or so. The Beyond has always had a sepia tone pre credits sequence, simple as, as everyone who has seen the film since its original cinematic release knows. The only exception to this is of course the version with the full colour pre credits sequence - but this was only ever on the German language version (except for one DVD version, where an English language translation was provided as an extra).

Of course this will be released the way it was originally intended. I have total confidence in this, and am very excited about the Blu Ray release.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:50 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzombie20 View Post
And who is to say that this may not be the original intended look of the film? What if in the beginning there was a mistake in making it sepia tone and it was always originally intended to be in black and white???

So what's to say that's not the case here??? What if Arrow IS preserving the original intended look of the film??? We don't know the real answer, but changing it makes absolutely no sense.
Although the truth of the matter is already known I have to ask evilzombie if he is aware of the GrindHouse release of this film? If so, does he also know that the people behind that release (theatrical and home video) included Quentin Tarantino? The Beyond is one of his faves. Do you think that if it were supposed to be B&W that he wouldn't have known? Don't you think GrindHouse would have taken the time to correct this? That release took YEARS to come out. They made sure it was the best presentation at the time. Get off your knees please.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:53 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I can't believe what I've just read.

The Beyond was never, ever intended to have a black and white pre credits sequence.

There are enough sources out there to support this. Its a technical error. One I have every confidence Arrow will correct before its released.
Old 21st February 2011, 09:49 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
I can't believe what I've just read.

The Beyond was never, ever intended to have a black and white pre credits sequence.

There are enough sources out there to support this. Its a technical error. One I have every confidence Arrow will correct before its released.
Yep, I found it mind boggling too. Why do people find it so difficult to accept Arrow made a mistake on this rather than dreaming up crackpot theories to justify it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!