Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:59 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
Is it not too early to call such a thing as we have yet to see the full quality version from Arrow?
It would be nice if the whole transfer was tweaked for the replacement discs, but my understanding is that on the DVD only the opening sequence will be changed, right? It's just the blu-ray that's getting a higher bitrate throughout.

Last edited by Snatcher42; 23rd March 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:20 AM
Cult Rookie

The review discs were 7.7 GB and it's been stated that the final disc will have a higher bit rate than the review disc, will be on BD50s, and that it will have the sepia opening (I tried to post a link back to the post in this thread stating this but it says I can't post "URLs to other sites" because of my post count...) but will the final disc have a higher bit rate than the current retail disc? I checked mine, which has the black and white opening, and the .m2ts file that contains the movie is about 15.5 GB. Now I know the file size on the final disc will not be exactly the same but can we expect a significantly bigger file size on the final? What is the file size of the .m2ts file containing the movie on the new disc? Not that I really care because I think the disc I have looks good with the exception of the black and white opening but I noticed the difference in file sizes between my disc and what reviewers were saying their disc had and started to wonder if maybe the bit rate had already been corrected. Pretty surprised no one else has asked this by now unless I missed it.

Last edited by gheebee; 24th March 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:40 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm also curious to know this too, gheebee.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:48 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheebee View Post
The review discs were 7.7 GB and it's been stated that the final disc will have a higher bit rate than the review disc, will be on BD50s, and that it will have the sepia opening (I tried to post a link back to the post in this thread stating this but it says I can't post "URLs to other sites" because of my post count...) but will the final disc have a higher bit rate than the current retail disc? I checked mine, which has the black and white opening, and the .m2ts file that contains the movie is about 15.5 GB.
I think the review discs were the same file size as the discs that went out to shops. The 7.7GB size quoted is for the main feature video file only and doesn't include the audio, menu and special features files which bring to total up to 15.5GB.

At least that's how I've interpreted what I've read about the issue.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:00 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I think the review discs were the same file size as the discs that went out to shops. The 7.7GB size quoted is for the main feature video file only and doesn't include the audio, menu and special features files which bring to total up to 15.5GB.

At least that's how I've interpreted what I've read about the issue.
I was assuming they would have the same file size as the ones that went to reviewers too but I'm just referring to a single file on the BD and it only contains the movie. I suppose the reviewers could just be referring to the total size of the video data in the file but I don't think (could be wrong though...) that the audio would be 7.8 GB while the video is only 7.7 GB. Are there programs that can do this? (analyze a .m2ts file and tell you how much of the data is for audio and how much is for video)

Edit: Then again considering that the file has about 5 audio streams in it maybe you're right about the video only being 7.7 GB of the file.
Old 24th March 2011, 12:13 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
I was assuming they would have the same file size as the ones that went to reviewers too but I'm just referring to a single file on the BD and it only contains the movie. I suppose the reviewers could just be referring to the total size of the video data in the file but I don't think (could be wrong though...) that the audio would be 7.8 GB while the video is only 7.7 GB. Are there programs that can do this? (analyze a .m2ts file and tell you how much of the data is for audio and how much is for video)

Edit: Then again considering that the file has about 5 audio streams in it maybe you're right about the video only being 7.7 GB of the file.
You're right, I just noticed a guy on another forum had a friend who is quite 'technical' look at his 'release' version and the movie portion (without the menus and extras) clocks in at about 15GB.

So I'm a bit unsure now about what is being referred to when people say the review copies only clock in at 7.7GB.

It's all a bit of a pickle to be honest, some solid figures would be cool. Surely someone has a copy of the review disc and the 'release' version that they can pull the file sizes from?
Old 24th March 2011, 12:23 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
You're right, I just noticed a guy on another forum had a friend who is quite 'technical' look at his 'release' version and the movie portion (without the menus and extras) clocks in at about 15GB.
Interesting, do you have a link you can PM or post? Wonder where a retail vs review compare (or an attempt at one if they are the same) will show up first!
Old 24th March 2011, 02:17 PM
Cult Rookie

Kevin from wtf-Film said the 7.7GB referred to the video stream of the main feature only, not including audio. The m2ts file is 15GB because of the 5 audio tracks. All indications are that the current retail stock is identical to the review copies. The interesting comparison will be once replacement discs are sent out.
Old 24th March 2011, 02:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Wish I'd seen the actual Wtf-Film review first but at the time of posting that it was just posts about the 7.7 GB thing that I'd seen on various forums, didn't even know the site it came from before your post. The math is more or less correct with the average bit rate of 12.3 Mbps so I guess that settles it. Glad to hear that the fixed disc should look even better.

edit: Thanks!
Old 24th March 2011, 03:00 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Interesting, do you have a link you can PM or post?
Sure HERE you go.

@Snatcher42 Cheers for clearing it up as regards the review disc data size.

Like this? Share it using the links below!