LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2011, 05:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Arrow Video in The Guardian

Quote:
Without wishing to sound soppy, love comes into it too. Love of film. As love is unquantifiable, it doesn't appear on any spreadsheet or sales projection, but it is love of film that is behind many of the better BD releases. For instance, the Arrow label could have bunged out a shoddy release of a title such as Lucio Fulci's horror The Beyond, but they've gone the extra mile by bringing out one stuffed with extras such as commentaries, documentaries, interviews, and even a selection of reversible covers. So why has something like Tron: Legacy got practically nothing in terms of supplementary material? The people who worked on the Tron sequel are far easier to track down than those who toiled on mid-range Italian horror films from the early 1980s. You look at releases like Eureka's Fantastic Planet, Vengeance Is Mine or Make Way for Tomorrow, or Flipside's Privilege, The Bed Sitting Room or London in the Raw and the only possible conclusion as to their existence on BD is that some film lovers are really going to bat for these titles. But then why should majors expend such effort on more obscure releases when they can put the same or less work into a Harry Potter or Pirates of the Caribbean BD that's going to sell a gazillion copies. Clearly you can't use the same reasoning behind selling punters the films of Vin Diesel than you can the films of Kenneth Anger.
It's from an interesting article about Blu-ray and why the format hasn't completely replace DVD.

Blu-ray just gives me the blues | Film | guardian.co.uk
Old 13th April 2011, 05:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Decent article that.
Old 13th April 2011, 05:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I like his basic question of if small companies like Arrow, Eureka and Park Circus can release old films with niche markets on Blu-ray, why can't the big studios with Oscar nominated films?

I've long thought that the likes of Eureka and Arrow put the big studios to shame, which is why they win awards for Label of the Year.
Old 13th April 2011, 06:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I like his basic question of if small companies like Arrow, Eureka and Park Circus can release old films with niche markets on Blu-ray, why can't the big studios with Oscar nominated films?

I've long thought that the likes of Eureka and Arrow put the big studios to shame, which is why they win awards for Label of the Year.
The writer is probably correct in his assumption of a love of film, rather than just huge companies going for huge bucks $$$$$.

Never really thought about it before.
Old 13th April 2011, 06:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The writer is probably correct in his assumption of a love of film, rather than just huge companies going for huge bucks $$$$$.

Never really thought about it before.
I can quite believe it as, if you take High Rising Productions and what they do for Arrow Video for an example, Calum says they get paid a flat fee whether they turn in two commentary tracks and hours of interview material and retrospective featurettes or just a few interviews running at 40 minutes. Similarly, the artwork, art cards, posters and everything as that comes with a set is seemingly because Arrow genuinely care about the films they release and how they release them rather than just the bottom line.
Old 13th April 2011, 06:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I can quite believe it as, if you take High Rising Productions and what they do for Arrow Video for an example, Calum says they get paid a flat fee whether they turn in two commentary tracks and hours of interview material and retrospective featurettes or just a few interviews running at 40 minutes. Similarly, the artwork, art cards, posters and everything as that comes with a set is seemingly because Arrow genuinely care about the films they release and how they release them rather than just the bottom line.
Didn't know that.

Certainly better than buying xxx film from xxx big company with no extras whatsoever, because you just know in 6 months time said film will be re-released as a 2 disc special edition, just to make extra money off the consumer.
The same goes with cd's. Probably more so in fact.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I agree that great companies like Arrow, Eureka do much better discs than majors! The biggies just care about the big dollars...
Old 14th April 2011, 01:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Didn't know that.

Certainly better than buying xxx film from xxx big company with no extras whatsoever, because you just know in 6 months time said film will be re-released as a 2 disc special edition, just to make extra money off the consumer.
The same goes with cd's. Probably more so in fact.
This is something we pride ourselves on: if we can get lots of good stuff for a film we will - and at no extra cost to the folks who take on our services. WE take a flat fee per title, not per extra feature.
Old 14th April 2011, 03:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
This is something we pride ourselves on: if we can get lots of good stuff for a film we will - and at no extra cost to the folks who take on our services. WE take a flat fee per title, not per extra feature.
And you do a great job every time, from the animation to the interviews/documentaries and the booklets.
Old 14th April 2011, 06:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

An example to them all.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!