Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2011, 10:22 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Based purely on what I've read on this thread I dived straight onto ebay and picked what looked to be the last BU one up for £24.99 + £1 postage.

Its such a shame as I really like the Arrow packaging and the way they are all stacking up nicely next to each other along the shelf. I will pick the Arrow one up when the price inevitably drops a la Dawn of the Dead, City of the Living Dead etc purely for the packaging, but this seems like an opportunity missed.

Still, on the other hand, it was no doubt the best news the ebay sellers of the BU disc had heard all day.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Cult Rookie

Boy, am I'm glad I found a copy of BU's release when I did!

Storario's a truckin' nutcase. 2.0:1 was a decent enouch compromise when LD was the height of home theater, but now he's just willinlgy butchering his own art. What's worse is he seems to be the only guy out there who thinks it's a good idea!

Rick's cover is awesome, those new extras sound decent and I'd have loved to have the original mono mix in PCM... but I can't justify this one.

Sorry Arrow, but OAR is one of those fundamentals I simply can't overlook.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Oh FFS! I give up ... mono audio again.

This beggers belief!
Old 26th March 2011, 04:35 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I understand the OAR problem, but why is everyone so upset about the audio? Having a 5.1 option etc is just a bonus, as long as they include the original soundmix, even if it's 1.0, I don't see the problem. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26th March 2011, 05:19 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I understand the OAR problem, but why is everyone so upset about the audio? Having a 5.1 option etc is just a bonus, as long as they include the original soundmix, even if it's 1.0, I don't see the problem. Just my opinion.

I agree but can see the argument for having them too. IMO many of the remixes are a bit poo anyway, but it's the music score that can really benefit from the overhaul. Given the option of either on a disc I'd probably go for the remix because of how it can enhance the music but wouldn't boycott a release for not having one. I do think they should be included if the materials allow though.

Old 26th March 2011, 09:47 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

I'm as disappointed as others here that Arrow's TBWTCP suffers from a compromised widescreen ratio. However, i also have BU's U.S. HD version to fall back on and i'll still buy the above forthcoming U.K. edition seeing as Arrow have still made some customary effort with this release. I must admit though, i was expecting a few more extras padding out this package.
Old 26th March 2011, 09:58 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No offence to Storaro, but he's getting on a bit. Like Kubrick, hopefully we'll see the original ratio version again when he's gone. I have a feeling that any company that wants to release the film from now on will only be given this abomination.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 26th March 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:00 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:"- Brand new High Definition restoration of the film from the original negative presented in Director of Photography, Vittorio Storaro’s original 2:1 Univisium aspect ratio"

Same as the new French discs of this one...which weren't very well received either...
Seems they used the same hd master.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

This will be the first Arrow release on BD that I will not be pre-ordering. Instead, it will be a case of wait and see exactly how this actually ends up looking in this 2:1 ratio.....
Old 26th March 2011, 10:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I agree but can see the argument for having them too. IMO many of the remixes are a bit poo anyway, but it's the music score that can really benefit from the overhaul. Given the option of either on a disc I'd probably go for the remix because of how it can enhance the music but wouldn't boycott a release for not having one. I do think they should be included if the materials allow though.

My view exactly Paul. We all know this audio exists and it's not as though there is not enough room on a blu for them! I do feel let down. I WANT the option of audio .. just like people scream out for original language and English language tracks on other disks. I can see me skipping both Bird and Tenebrae, which I am really sad to do so. I adore what Arrow are doing for fans - but they aren't really catering for my tastes at the moment. Also, Arrow are a relatively small distributor and to be fair cannot afford to lose both sales and fans.

Like this? Share it using the links below!