Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Tenebrae – The Reviews (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/5174-tenebrae-%E2%80%93-reviews.html)

suspirium 6th July 2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

I've just checked my review and I noted all the features are in HD, so must be a problem with the disc.
Well, I hope it is the disc. I will report back as soon as I get my replacement.

Quote:

1080i/50hz is HD. But incompatible with many US players. Like the HD extras for City of the Living Dead.
But if it is this - it will be disappointing as I don't have the money to buy a new blu-ray player and was so enjoying these blus. I wish they were formatted like the previous blus (again if this IS the issue) so those of us in the US could enjoy them because I had my eye on "The Funhouse" too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th July 2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brain dead (Post 163847)
1080i/50hz is HD. But incompatible with many US players. Like the HD extras for City of the Living Dead.

Right, I understand. It's weird how American TVs and other hardware can't cope with pal, whereas the stuff in Europe have no problem with NTSC.

Is the issue with your LCD/plasma screen?

Out of interest, how much is a multi-region Blu-ray player or one which can be changed to play Region B discs in the US?

brain dead 6th July 2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 163854)
Right, I understand. It's weird how American TVs and other hardware can't cope with pal, whereas the stuff in Europe have no problem with NTSC.

Is the issue with your LCD/plasma screen?

Out of interest, how much is a multi-region Blu-ray player or one which can be changed to play Region B discs in the US?

Yeah, I was surprised when moving to the US that many players and TVs couldn't handle PAL content since from the late 90s I'd had a NTSC compatible DVD player. And I remember at least 2 UK releases actually being in the NTSC format (A Battle Royale from Tartan and a Sex and the City set an ex bought)

I got one (actually 2) of the best buy ones that were made by the same people as those Tesco ones that were available in the UK for a while. I think they were both under $90.
The firmware has been "fixed" on those now. So it's pretty much the expensive Oppo ones unless another model comes out. Or One for your PC.

I wish that Arrow 3/35 sale included the Battle Royale as I have all but Tenebrae and Bird... I'm gonna have to wait a while to get Tenebrae. Spent way too much recently.

Gold6082 6th July 2011 06:03 PM

I have decided to ignore the negative reviews for this release,& judge it for myself.I ordered mine today,Tenebrae is my favourite Argento film & I have confidence that Arrow have come to the party again with a great package.

The reason I have ignored most the negative comments is in most cases,many of the issues raised are solved by simply altering the brightness & contrast on the tv set/and/or Player

Klown 6th July 2011 09:01 PM

Disappointing to hear the extras aren't in 1080p. My PS3 doesn't play 1080i/50hz, so it kinda puts me in bind. I do have a work around, which is okay, but not ideal. I don't want to buy a new Blu-ray player either.

Weren't all the extras on Arrow's post City of the Living Dead Blu-ray going to be in 1080p? I coulda swore I read that somewhere.

suspirium 6th July 2011 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Disappointing to hear the extras aren't in 1080p. My PS3 doesn't play 1080i/50hz, so it kinda puts me in bind. I do have a work around, which is okay, but not ideal. I don't want to buy a new Blu-ray player either.
Although, the back cover states that the extras are in 1080P - they are actually in 1080i/50hz. I went to best buy after work and bought a player that was compatible with the 50Hz content and the blu-ray now plays fine. I wish we were informed of this.

I shouldn't have to drop $100 on a player when we are told features are in 1080P like previous releases. :mmph:

drees5761 8th July 2011 02:31 PM

Just done my review, bit late but for those that want to read it Blu Ray Review

platostotal 8th July 2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 161033)
You paid £28 for a copy??!! HMV aren't crazy -- you are!

All the Arrow blu's are £28 in HMV, crazy but true.

Baseball Fury 8th July 2011 06:46 PM

Not in Peterborough. COTLD is £14, Dawn/Day are £12 each, Phenomena is £18, they're the only ones I've seen.

platostotal 8th July 2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 164495)
Not in Peterborough. COTLD is £14, Dawn/Day are £12 each, Phenomena is £18, they're the only ones I've seen.

They must have their tickets swapped, that's what the sd dvd's are priced at, in fact that's cheaper than my HMV, the Arrows sd are all £18-20. Hmmm... Might see an overweight balding guy creeping round Peterborough HMV:lol: