All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th July 2011, 07:33 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I watched this the other night, and was mightily impressed both with the HD transfer and the package as a whole.

For anyone who has never seen the film before, it's a superbly tense little mystery thriller full of solid performances. Highly recommended.

I would have thought that this title would of been more at home on the Arrow World or Arrow Films label though.
I thought that, it's definitely not in place with the rest of the collection but still a worthy addition and something I may never have watched if it wasn't for this release.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 13th July 2011, 08:03 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I thought that, it's definitely not in place with the rest of the collection but still a worthy addition and something I may never have watched if it wasn't for this release.
My thoughts exactly, but it doesn't really fit in as an Arrow Academy release and I have no problem if Arrow Video release more films like this along with the usual selection of ex-video nasties and classic horror titles.
antmumford likes this.
Old 13th July 2011, 09:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
My thoughts exactly, but it doesn't really fit in as an Arrow Academy release and I have no problem if Arrow Video release more films like this along with the usual selection of ex-video nasties and classic horror titles.
Battle Royale (I am referring to the 2011 non-limited Blu) is in some way an odd man out, too. I think that Horror should indeed remain the main genre of Arrow's - but I don't mind any untypical gems like Obsession being given the White Box-treatment from time to time.

Greetings!
Old 13th July 2011, 11:04 AM
Cultist

I guess Battle Royale is a bit of an black swan, but at the same time you could argue that Vamp is. After all, if they stick to slashers and giallos they'll run out of titles to release pretty soon. I do see your point though. However I don't watch horror as a genre, I watch it more as a theme where I enjoy the action, drama and comedy of the films.

I'm still waiting for a decent price drop on the white case Battle Royale. I don't want to pay (near) full price as I already have the limited edition, but I also don't want to leave my collection incomplete.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
I guess Battle Royale is a bit of an black swan, but at the same time you could argue that Vamp is. After all, if they stick to slashers and giallos they'll run out of titles to release pretty soon. I do see your point though. However I don't watch horror as a genre, I watch it more as a theme where I enjoy the action, drama and comedy of the films.

I'm still waiting for a decent price drop on the white case Battle Royale. I don't want to pay (near) full price as I already have the limited edition, but I also don't want to leave my collection incomplete.
I've had to stop buying the Arrow Blu-rays completely now (along wiht any DVD or Blu-ray) so that I can save for my holiday to Florida next year. I just can't wait until after the holiday though because I'll have the entire Arrow Video Blu-ray back catalogue (from Tenebrae onwards) to catch up on and buy straight away, maybe all in one go. inc. the Battle Royale standard set to match the others.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 13th July 2011, 11:31 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
If you consider that Arrow Video releases films as a tribute to 80's VHS releases, painted cover art and all, then I think Vamp fits in nicely alongside the rest of it. I do agree with Obsession standing out, not that I mind though!
Old 13th July 2011, 11:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
It's 14 bucks at Amazon.co.uk at the moment - considering that it's a 3-disc set, I'd call that a decent price.

Greetings!
Old 13th July 2011, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The standard Battle Royale release is the only title I have absent from my Arrow Video Blu-ray collection, so far. I'm sure it will find its way into my collection eventually, though
Old 13th July 2011, 11:40 AM
Cultist

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to attribute them to an era I wasn't around to enjoy and therefore remember. Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy to see just about anything. The more the merrier, as long as it isn't some of the really awful pointless exploitation that's floating around.

I don't really consider Battle Royale to be standing out, and neither do I consider Vamp to be.

I would snap it up normally at that price, Prince. But I find it hard to justify when I already own a copy and that has gone toward my Funhouse pre-order for now.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:57 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
I would snap it up normally at that price, Prince. But I find it hard to justify when I already own a copy and that has gone toward my Funhouse pre-order for now.
I see. I had skipped the fact that you already own the LE. For me, it's the first release of the movie, so it's quite obvious why I could not resist the temptation.

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!