All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2011, 06:52 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have no problem with any title being BD only, but then again I have a BD player. It's easy enough to pick up a player REALLY cheap now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th April 2011, 06:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer View Post
why cant this be DVD as well ? i would understand the other way around
Exactly- as this won't get me switch to Blu any sooner, instead I'll make an otherwise appealing purchase less...

I can see that it gets tiresome for the companies to put out flicks on two formats, but I don't think limiting the output to Blu only is the most convincing way of advertising the merits of Blu to those who're otherwise still happy with DVD.
That only underlines the notion that the new format in itself isn't convincing enough, so other "forces" have to be employed to drag the customer into "Blu happiness".
Old 30th April 2011, 07:23 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
That only underlines the notion that the new format in itself isn't convincing enough, so other "forces" have to be employed to drag the customer into "Blu happiness".
Well if that is case, it's doesn't seem to be working and you'll be missing out on a great edition. I believe Arrow are releasing certain ttiles on BD only as they'll see a greater return from BD sales (but don't qoute me on that).
Go on, get your self a cheap player. Ah go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.
Old 30th April 2011, 08:04 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I too saw this on a double bill with My Bloody Valentine way back in 1981. Those were the days!

Someone posted earlier in the thread about this becoming a nasty due to confusion with Last House on Dead End Street. I've never seen any documentation to confirm this. I'm pretty sure its one of those "Urban legends" that have sprung up over time - Last House on Dead End Street (under the title The Funhouse) was only available in very limited numbers as a dealer preview tape and was highly unlikely to have attracted the attention of the police.

Looking forward to getting this on Blu Ray to join its R1 DVD counterpart.
Old 30th April 2011, 08:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Well if that is case, it's doesn't seem to be working and you'll be missing out on a great edition. I believe Arrow are releasing certain ttiles on BD only as they'll see a greater return from BD sales (but don't qoute me on that).
Go on, get your self a cheap player. Ah go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.
not only would i need a cheap player but also a new TV as mine is a really old huge backed thing then would need xtra money for the BD themselves for not much extra imo, shame cuz i would buy this if it was on dvd.
Old 30th April 2011, 08:37 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Couldn't Arrow have done a bd+dvd combo thing?
Seems it's all the rage now...
Old 30th April 2011, 10:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Apparently Conway is a family friend of the Stallones - did you try reaching out to Sage for help?
No I never. Tobe was our priority and we got him.

Like I said, there's only so much you can do - and we've provided three commentaries, tons of images and almost two hours of interviews for this. Considering the time we had to get all this sorted and edited I don't think there's much more we could have done.

I think I need to also explain something - High Rising is basically me and Naomi. We're a two people operation working on a tiny, tiny budget and when we go to the states it is a big investment and so we have to get a lot done. During our trip out there for The Funhouse we also achieved extras on Vamp and numerous other upcoming titles. Setting up interviews, and finding people, is down to me and, when possible, one of my good friends out in LA, Joe Venegas, who assists us (he recorded the Reardon and Power audio tracks for instance - and he did without taking a penny).

I get emails occasionally from people asking about work experience with us and often they are amazed when I point out Naomi lights, films, shoots and edits and I do the organising.

Taking this into account I think we don't do that bad... including on The Funhouse. Check out your average special feature on any other DVD and see how much crew is listed in the end credits.

I'm sorry Conway isn't on there but, as I said, it's not as if we had months in the states in which to arrange this 'special edition'. And what is on there more than gives you an insight into the workings of The Funhouse I am sure after hearing the commentaries and seeing the other interviews you will not have any questions left unanswered about this movie and I think we all owe Arrow a debt of gratitude for blessing this little cult classic with so much extra stuff! I seriously doubt any other label in the UK would have gone to this bother!
Old 30th April 2011, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobz View Post
Oh no.

NO.

NOOOO!!

You posted at 3:33 A.M. You've condemned us all! Arrow are only going to release repacks of Vipco dvds from now on!!!

(My apologies for this completely off-topic post )
Is there some significance in the time 3:33am? I'm confused!
Old 30th April 2011, 11:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Brilliant news and count me in for my mandatory two copies. I'm not too bothered by the lack of a DVD edition personally. I'm just glad Tobe Hooper's enjoyable fairground frightener is arriving in a new and greatly improved U.K. incarnation. Looks like the only reason to keep my Universal R1 version now is for inclusion of The Funhouse's cinema trailer.

Out of the four designs previously posted for the film i must confess the only illustration i dislike remains the French variant.

Once again all associated with Arrow deliver the goods and well done, people!

Last edited by Splatterdragon73; 30th April 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 30th April 2011, 12:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Couldn't Arrow have done a bd+dvd combo thing?
Seems it's all the rage now...
That WOULD have been splendid

Anyway, I 'll keep watching this space for DVD news.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!