Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

necroluciferia 15th April 2011 09:36 AM

I have just put in an inter-library loans request for Mikita Brockman's 'Offensive Films'

Also recently purchased;

The Official Splatter Movie Guide by John McCarty
Sweet & Savage: The world through the shockumentary film lens by Mark Goodall Meat is Murder!: Illustrated Guide to Cannibal Culture - Mikita Brottman

Splatterdragon73 16th April 2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazon2709 (Post 142944)
I got DVD DELIRIUM Vol 2 REDUX and it is a good little read too...

I've had my copy for about three weeks and still haven't opened it yet!

No doubt another fine FAB Press release, though so not to worry and it'll give me something to read over the Easter hols alongside the latest Creepy Images volume.:)

Splatterdragon73 16th April 2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necroluciferia (Post 143215)
Also recently purchased;

The Official Splatter Movie Guide by John McCarty
Sweet & Savage: The world through the shockumentary film lens by Mark Goodall Meat is Murder!: Illustrated Guide to Cannibal Culture - Mikita Brottman

McCarty's tome is dated but still a decent effort and be sure to check out the second volume.

Admittedly, i've only ever really browsed through my copy of S&S but it seemed a tad too scholarly, academic and cerebral for my tastes. However, the similarly-themed Killing For Culture comes highly recommended, though. A superb read to be sure for Mondo movie fans.

MIM! is another good book, too so two outta three 'ain't bad imo!:)

Pete 16th April 2011 11:18 AM

Finally got a copy of Cannibal Holocaust and the Savage Cinema of Ruggero Deodato. :)

necroluciferia 16th April 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 143455)
McCarty's tome is dated but still a decent effort and be sure to check out the second volume.

Admittedly, i've only ever really browsed through my copy of S&S but it seemed a tad too scholarly, academic and cerebral for my tastes. However, the similarly-themed Killing For Culture comes highly recommended, though. A superb read to be sure for Mondo movie fans.

MIM! is another good book, too so two outta three 'ain't bad imo!:)

Ah cheers. I had a feeling the McCarty book would be a bit dated given its age, but the user reviews were quite positive and it only cost me a little over £2. I do intend on picking up (or borrowing) Killing For Culture at some point too. S&S was recommended to me by Julian Petley (who has the most impressive horror film book collection I've ever seen :lol:), somehow not expecting it to be light reading!

Make Them Die Slowly 16th April 2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 142956)
Have you heard about the SCONUL scheme? You might be able to get the book from another Uni's library :)

There's a couple of copies of that book in the Brunel library, it's OK, I'm using it for an analysis of Cannibal Holocaust that I'm writing for my dissertation but what she writes about the film has been disputed by other writers. She talks about social breakdown and the removal of the "give and take" culture.

It has chapters about The Tingler, Blood Feast, Snuff, Texas Chainsaw, and something she calls "Neo-Mondo".

Her chapter on Cannibal Holocaust is quite a useful quote mine, but I don't think I completely agree with her argument. I haven't read any of the book's other chapters.

She's also written an essay on David Cronenberg's Crash and the Fading of the West (Literature Film Quarterly, 2002).

I just put in an order for:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...AL._SS500_.jpg

Anyone read it?

"Sleazoid Express" is fantastic and the only book I've ever found with a whole chapter dedicated to Michael and Roberta Findlay, the King and Queen of New York scuzz cinema.

I'd highly recommend "The Ghastly One:The Sex Gore Netherworld of Filmmaker Andy Milligan." by Jimmy McDonough if you enjoy "Sleazoid Express". Not only is it a brilliant look at zero budget film making but at times, an eye opening account of the gay arts scene in New York in the 60s. What impressed me the most was the fact that Milligan's life was just as warped and out there as any one of his films, more so in fact!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th April 2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 142956)
Have you heard about the SCONUL scheme? You might be able to get the book from another Uni's library :)

There's a couple of copies of that book in the Brunel library, it's OK, I'm using it for an analysis of Cannibal Holocaust that I'm writing for my dissertation but what she writes about the film has been disputed by other writers. She talks about social breakdown and the removal of the "give and take" culture.

It has chapters about The Tingler, Blood Feast, Snuff, Texas Chainsaw, and something she calls "Neo-Mondo".

Her chapter on Cannibal Holocaust is quite a useful quote mine, but I don't think I completely agree with her argument. I haven't read any of the book's other chapters.

She's also written an essay on David Cronenberg's Crash and the Fading of the West (Literature Film Quarterly, 2002).

Damnit! I wish I had known about that library scheme before....like 3 years before. :doh: Thanks for letting me know Robert - I may have to give it a go :)

Pete 21st April 2011 02:05 PM

Just found out FAB Press are doing an updated version of the Deodato book. If I knew they were going to re-release it would have waited instead of paying £40 for a pre-owned copy only last week!:censored::censored:

robertzombie 22nd April 2011 11:00 AM

Does anyone have a copy of Nightmare USA? If so, what is the review of Fight For Your Life like?

Leman 29th April 2011 10:37 AM

Did anyone plump up the £200 for All the Colours of the Dark?

1128 pages of over-sized glossy colour pages is tempting but £200 for a book is just beyond me. Im really interested to know if anyone actually bought it.