Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2017, 11:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

My brother used to subscribe to it in the 90s. I started buying it in the early 2000s when he moved away but only lasted a few years (guess it didn't help that that was when I started getting a bit antsy with modern movies in general). The only time I buy it now is if it's got a cool poster in it.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 30th November 2017, 04:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

New issue..

star-wars-the-last-jedi-empire-rey.jpg

Wow, I thought. That looks bloody good. An ultimate Star Wars Celebration. It is in a bag and it looks crammed with stuff...

What you really get is few piss poor pages in the mag and the 40th Anniversary magazine is just a collection of reprinted articles from past Star Wars issues.
Don't judge a book by it's cover.

"What a piece of junk".
Old 30th November 2017, 06:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default film mags

I stopped buying this and total film , nearly a fiver each for 2nd hand film news in a skimpy mag 2 reads per issue at best, They seem to be knocking free gifts out in a desperated bid to survive.
Old 30th November 2017, 06:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Apart from a couple of bits, I flipped the whole mag in a few moments. Nothing of interest to me in it at all.
Waste of money.
Old 30th November 2017, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Apart from a couple of bits, I flipped the whole mag in a few moments. Nothing of interest to me in it at all.
Waste of money.
Sounds like the perfect match for The Last Jedi then.

Sorry, Dave Boy. I just can't garner any interest for this upcoming Star Wars offshoot.

Hopefully i'll be proved wrong and it will be brilliant!
Old 1st December 2017, 04:49 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Waste of money.
That's what I was finding five years ago - I would get a copy and there would be nothing in it for me

I used to have every edition from #1, but a few years ago they all went into the bin and I really don't miss them at all

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st December 2017, 09:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Same here, used to buy it every month & now I can't find anything of interest. I remember taking my back issues to the cinema store in london to see what they would give me for them (in the late 90's) and the guy said they're not worth the paper they're printed on! Lol! Very true unfortunately, and loads of film news (same as on the modern websites) about films that will never get made. I think the ain problem now is the repetition of all the articles, it's all "best of the 70's" or "empires 100 best films" or endless articleson scorcesse, spielberg, lucas et al, star wars, the godfather, alien, blade runner etc.
I know these are classics but there's nothing left to say about them!

Don't fancy another star wars-centric issue!
Old 1st December 2017, 09:09 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Same here, used to buy it every month & now I can't find anything of interest. I remember taking my back issues to the cinema store in london to see what they would give me for them (in the late 90's) and the guy said they're not worth the paper they're printed on! Lol! Very true unfortunately, and loads of film news (same as on the modern websites) about films that will never get made. I think the ain problem now is the repetition of all the articles, it's all "best of the 70's" or "empires 100 best films" or endless articleson scorcesse, spielberg, lucas et al, star wars, the godfather, alien, blade runner etc.
I know these are classics but there's nothing left to say about them!

Depends on who's doing the talking really!

The same can equally be said about Hammer, Romero, Fulci, Deodato, Argento etc.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 1st December 2017, 10:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Depends on who's doing the talking really!

The same can equally be said about Hammer, Romero, Fulci, Deodato, Argento etc.
You've got a point, even my favourite film makers ( romero, fulci, etc) have been covered endlessly, it's difficult to find articles (in general, not just in empire) that don't cover the same ground. The amount of books, documentaries, articles, studies etc is amazing, so much has been said already. We definately seem to be in a bit of an academic age, where features on dvds tend to "study" the films (ie- the ones by "genre experts or people with phd's) or look at them in a nostalgic way.
I just got tired of empire covering the same stuff, the same way The Dark Side ended up interviewing the same hammer/amicus extras every other issue, lol!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
You've got a point, even my favourite film makers ( romero, fulci, etc) have been covered endlessly, it's difficult to find articles (in general, not just in empire) that don't cover the same ground. The amount of books, documentaries, articles, studies etc is amazing, so much has been said already. We definately seem to be in a bit of an academic age, where features on dvds tend to "study" the films (ie- the ones by "genre experts or people with phd's) or look at them in a nostalgic way.
I just got tired of empire covering the same stuff, the same way The Dark Side ended up interviewing the same hammer/amicus extras every other issue, lol!
Yeah but you're Nostalgic. It's your thing surely.

Like this? Share it using the links below!